Fork upgrade trip to LA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Last week I rode out to LA-LA land. I bought twowheelnut's old GP Suspension parts (springs and valves) off 03silverbullet. Well, instead of shipping me the parts, Steve offered to put be up while the suspension shop down the street installed them and gave my forks a much needed R&R.

Thanks Steve for putting me up for a couple nights and the use of your garage and tools to pull off my forks! You meet the nicest peeps on FJRForum. (As long as you aren't trying to sell saddlebag liners :eek: )

Well, parts went in, new bushings installed in my 171k forks, and all is well again. Better than well in fact. FJR handling in the twistys is much improved compared to my stock valving and Wilbers progressive rate springs that had been in there.

On Thursday, that dastardly villian Fairlaner led us on a trip through some canyons north of LA to test everything out. First of all Fairlaner is FAST. Second, 03silverbullet ain't no slouch either. Third, it's no fun being the loser of the group. :( Fourth, following these two 'lane splitters from hell' through traffic on the LA freeways is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! :eek: And fifth, there is some great riding north of the LA area! Little Tijunga Canyon Road was a blast! Clicy HERE!

The rest of the riding to the Rock Inn for lunch was pretty damn good too. Thanks boys for a wonderful SoCal day!

At Casa de Fairlaner, getting ready for some riding.

LAApr09.jpg

Hmmmm..........wonder how Fairlaner got his forum name?

LAApr094.jpg

LAApr093.jpg

The Rock Inn for lunch. Cool Moto place.

LAApr095.jpg

LAApr096.jpg

LAApr098.jpg

End of the ride break. What are you guys trying to tell me?

LAApr099.jpg

Oh, that. A bit of twowheelnut with us all day today.

LAApr0910.jpg

LAApr0912.jpg

Time to head home. We all rode the 5 to the 210, with Fairlaner first breaking off, then Steve. I decided I still had barely enough daylight to do the 'Palms to Pines' Highway on the way home and headed that way. It was a nice climb up out of Hemet, a pleasureable ride over the top, and as you can see below, a great ride down the eastern slope to Palm Desert.

Can you see the road in there?

LAApr0919.jpg

How about now?

LAApr0926.jpg

A group of sportbikes on the way up.

LAApr0923.jpg

LAApr0924.jpg

And the cool GPS screen shot of the road I was about to ride.

LAApr0930.jpg

Didn't get home untill 11:30pm, but well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great ride SkooterG! Glad you enjoyed it, and Richard only knows the roads that's why he's faster. :p

Who did the fork rebuild?

First of all Fairlaner is FAST. Second, 03silverbullet ain't no slouch either. Third, it's no fun being the loser of the group.
A loser would have crashed, trying to keep up. Count your blessings....

You didn't crash this time, right?

:****: :rolleyes:

Great Ride and Repair Report; with your usual quality pictures! Sir Richard is indeed muy rapido, with Steve a close second!

Toe: Skooter prefers the term "flip." Crash in a way almost sounds negative. Fairlaner's Ford Fairlane is indeed a real gem!

Nice pictures Greg, It sure was a fun ride, and every bike had something of Tim's on it.

I can't believe you went home via Pines to Palms what time did you get home?

There is always a spare room here for your next trip out west.........

Greg i fixed the MAP for you, Don't forget Steve made that turn on to the freeway and we took Spunky Canyon before we hit Lake Elizabeth road.

R

Fairlaner and SkooterG: Greg, after looking at your pictures and looking at Richard's map: I just realized that in my 60+ years that I have never ridden The Palms to Pines Highway. Which is really weird since I was born in Orange, California in 1948; graduated from Orange High School in 1966 and Santa Ana Junior College in 1968; 5 years of riding in/around SoCal.

But I'm going to correct that this Friday! I'm attending a johnny80's FJR Valve Adjustment Tech Day being held in Fallbrook.

Leaving San Diego County 4/10 PM I intend to take the Palms to Pines Highway back to Orange County. Thanks for the tip!!

Unfortunately i don't have that much time on Friday as we are have a garage sale on Saturday and i have to be back to sort things out.

I am just going to Johnny's to yank a few chains and sort out our coast ride the following Monday.

R

If you can, try and also do Hwy 243 - Clicky

I did this road years ago in a car and from what I remember it's an awesome road too. The town of Idylwild is a pretty cool place too. Maybe go down this way instead of Hemet.