Former Marines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning at 2:00 AM my son begins The Crucible on Parris Island.....

The United States Marine Corps Crucible is the final test a Marine Corps recruit must pass before becoming a Marine. Designed to emphasize the importance of teamwork in overcoming adversity, the Crucible is a rigorous 54-hour field training exercise demanding the application of everything a recruit has learned in their previous 13 weeks of recruit training. Throughout the Crucible, recruits are faced with continuous physical and mental challenges that must be accomplished before advancing further.

During the Crucible recruits are only given two or three MREs each and only allowed eight hours of sleep — four hours each night, unless given extra night duties such as firewatch. Depriving the recruits of sleep and food simulates the stress of the battlefield. Initially, it may seem like an impossible task to complete. However, compared to real combat, the Crucible is much less stressful. At MCRD Parris Island, the final crucible event is a ten mile march, in full combat gear, uphill and down hill. At the end of the final march, the recruits see a replica of the famous Iwo Jima flag raising and the drill instructor hands out the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) tan belt to the recruits.

Following the ceremony of handing out their MCMAP tan belt, the recruits are treated to a "warrior's breakfast" and look forward to the graduation ceremony where they will then be formally recognized as Marines.

Just keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes to the sky hoping that he makes it through alright.

Dang! Now I remember why I joined the Air Force.

The very best of luck to the boy.............ahem Man. :clapping:

Axeman - best of luck to your son. When he's finished he'll still be your son, only mo' better! I wish him the best and will gladly buy him a beer if he's ever in the area.

I remember OCS in the summer of 76' - 10 weeks of friggin' PT and getting screamed at in 90+ degree weather. Odd thing, all 52 (to start with) of us had the same name - Shithead! Great times...

Last edited by a moderator:
Axeman, congrats to you and your son. It takes a different breed to chose the Corp and you will see a definite improvement in your son. What he learns at PI will be with him for the rest of his life. I hope you are going to PI for the graduation ceremony. :)

I know your are proud of your boy and I am sure he will do fine.

I do wish that all able body young men had to serve a minimum of

2 years of military service, any branch,.........I believe our society

would be so much better for it.

regards

NC

Axeman, congradulations to your son. I know he will do fine. It is a certain type of person to be a Marine. I know, I'm married to one and my brother is one. I tease my husband sometimes about his "Marine mentality"! If he decides to do something...he WILL complete the task. I don't care what it is or how hard it is, he will finish!! My brother is the same way. I don't know if you are familiar with the Sgt Grit website but if not I'll send you the link. They have some great stories from Marines, family of Marines, etc. They all respect and love one another...a big family! I know I'm proud of my husband & brother (Vietnam vets) and proud of your son! Semper Fi and carry on! ([email protected])

Trained with & by the best, Now He'll show 'em in the test....Stand Proud as it is an awesome time for your Family ! Congrats all the way around....

Congrats to your son Axeman and Semper Fi. Ah the memories, the screaming, the sweating. I went to basic in San Diego. Our crucible was a surfing contest. You might tell your son to suggest that... :lol:

But seriously, congradulations. You both have major bragging rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the best wishes everyone. He made it through The Crucible and he graduates on Friday 12/1. :yahoo: It will be the first time I get to see him or talk to him in three months and I'm looking forward to seeing what type of shape the Marine Corps has hammered him into. His immediate request, of course, is a Subway sandwich.

Where's he headed next? Does he have an MOS? Congrats to him and to you for your clearly superior job in raising a fine son!!

Thanks Jim.

He has recruiters assistance until Jan 3rd and then heads to Camp Lejeune (sp?) for combat training. From there he heads to Norfolk for his MOS training (Security Forces, which he is attempting to get changed to Recon).

Thanks Jim.He has recruiters assistance until Jan 3rd and then heads to Camp Lejeune (sp?) for combat training. From there he heads to Norfolk for his MOS training (Security Forces, which he is attempting to get changed to Recon).
Security Forces is pretty good duty. You get to beat up sailors and nobody's shooting at you :good:

That is pretty cool if he's going to the Security Force Bn. Great weapons training and he will probably get to see some decent parts of the world. They have platoon there with xx numbers of Marines and 3 times that number of weapons!!!! It's like heaven...

Axeman,

Congratulations to you and your son. It is a long journey from the yellow footprints to the Eagle, Globe and Anchor ceremony. Great that he'll be home on RA for the holidays. Make sure he PTs...it will make SOI that much easier when reports to NC.

I suggest he sticks to the SF assignment and tries for Recon once he gets to his next duty station. If it is action he is looking for, assure him the Security Forces bubbas aren't just standing guard duty these days.

Semper Fi,

JH