Found another FJR/C14/K1300GT article

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinohio

Reaction score
In case anyone else is researching which bike to get, I ran across another mag review of the top three bikes listed. It was in the June 09 issue of Motorcycle Sport and Leisure

I dont plan on making my decision based on articles, but I immerse myself into the items I plan on buying and doing as much research as possible before hand.

Its pretty clear the FJR is lighter and handles better, Plus I like the fact it has fairing pockets, which the concours doesnt. Cant wait to ride one!

Lewis

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's just too complicated for me but not only can't I find the article in the list, I can't open any of the articles that are listed.

Its not you. The list of articles they show for the June 09 issue is completely wrong. Also, you aren't able to read the articles. What I did was instead of running to the bookstore and trying to find it, I just bought it online for $4 and downloaded it. Technically its downloaded but not in regular file format, you have to use the reader program that links to it to read it.

FWIW, it rated them all at four stars! I haven't read it yet, been working on another bike, but am gonna start now.

Lewis

Twenty thousand bucks for an FJR!!??!??!?!?! Geez!!!!!! (11,900 British Pounds is just shy of 20 grand US)

Twenty thousand bucks for an FJR!!??!??!?!?! Geez!!!!!! (11,900 British Pounds is just shy of 20 grand US)
The conversion on big ticket items like this is not base don the bank rate...and when you factor in difference sin compensation rates in a given region, the cost of ownership works ut to be close to the same... until you start adding taxes in some areas based on engine size...then you're fooked in the UK/Europe... :(

Yeah they were around $24,000 new in NZ when I was down there. I did find a used one for $19,000. That's how I ended up with a 1988 BMW K100RS.

Its pretty clear the FJR is lighter and handles better, Plus I like the fact it has fairing pockets, which the concours doesnt.
Lewis, you can't make a wrong choice here, but don't let the tail wag the dog. These bikes are very different and choosing one because it has fairing pockets makes about as much sense as choosing a car because you like the color of the tire jack!

- Mark

Its pretty clear the FJR is lighter and handles better, Plus I like the fact it has fairing pockets, which the concours doesnt.
Lewis, you can't make a wrong choice here, but don't let the tail wag the dog. These bikes are very different and choosing one because it has fairing pockets makes about as much sense as choosing a car because you like the color of the tire jack!

- Mark

Gotta agree with that. I'm sure that will not be your deciding factor though. And FWIW, the faring glove compartment is fairly useless, IMO. I keep the registration paperwork and the garage door opener in mine. That's all.

Best price for a brand new in main parts of Europe (France, Belgium, Germany is 12500 Euros, (17500$) including fantasy tax of 15%. Plus you pay a yearly road tax of 50 Euros (70$).

Not even considering gas prices of 5$ a gallon.

- Mark

Gotta agree with that. I'm sure that will not be your deciding factor though. And FWIW, the faring glove compartment is fairly useless, IMO. I keep the registration paperwork and the garage door opener in mine. That's all.
He said, "Plus...", you guys are making it sound like he stated that as his primary reason. Way to go, lecture a guy on how he chooses a motorcycle but don't even pay attention to what he says.

speaking of higher prices, those Canadians I spoke with on my HyderSeek trip last month said similar things about price for an FJR in CA. When I told them what I paid they were quite surprise. The RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) rider I spoke with also pays about 40% of his income in taxes. Yippee!

- Mark

He said, "Plus...", you guys are making it sound like he stated that as his primary reason. Way to go, lecture a guy on how he chooses a motorcycle but don't even pay attention to what he says.
Way to go. Lecture me on lecturing the guy but don't pay any attention to what I actually said. :blink:

yeah, chosing a bike for the fairing pockets would be ridiculous, but it will be tough to get used to worthless/no fairing pockets. I LOVE mine on my Concours! Basically, I will ride all bikes before deciding on one, I just immerse (obsess) myself into the topic and try to learn as much about each bike as possible.

Truthfully I wish my wife didnt tell me she was planning on buying a newer bike at the end of the year, once savings is a little larger, cause now i cant stop reading/studying/impatiently waiting for the demo rides!

Fred, wish I could see your video regarding the valve adjustment. Will be watching out for local tech sessions and hopefully see someone do a check/adjustment on on the C14.. Also will be watching for FJR tech sessions.

Lewis