frame sliders-Do they work with bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
So after putting in sliders, I was wondering...If I drop the bike with the bags on will they ever come into play? Or will the bike hit on the bag and ahead of the sliders?

Dutch1201

So after putting in sliders, I was wondering...If I drop the bike with the bags on will they ever come into play? Or will the bike hit on the bag and ahead of the sliders?
Dutch1201
If dropped on level ground you will hit your bags and your sliders, maybe your mirror and handlebar depending on the angle it goes down.

With the bags off your muffler may also hit the ground, even with sliders. Which parts hit will also depend on which sliders you have installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonky has 'drop tested' both sides with Skyway sliders -

And while the bags do contact - you have to look for the contact points.

Without the sliders, the contact points would be quite obvious.

Keep in mind the intent of frame sliders is not to save your plastics, but to prevent the frame of the bike from making contact. They are basically there to try to keep your bike ridable after an accident, not to protect your bodywork from an accidental tipover.

35 mph low side on snow, transitioning to bare blacktop. Yeah, sliders hit, and bags, and the mirror on the low side was ground to a stump. slider, (R&G), was ground down to the bolt, stator cover would have been ground through if I hadn't had a Bike Johnny TPT Engine armor piece on there with carbon fiber, and more importantly, Kevlar, in it. Ground all the way through the engine armor, through the generous adhesive, and just slightly scratched the stator cover, taking the paint off it on the lower bit.

If you mean parking lot drop, who cares? :p Buy some TOGs from FJR Goodies to help there. As Vectorvp1 said, they are there to keep the bike rideable, not save the plastic. And they work for that! Search for 'Pavement surfing' and you should find the pics I posted a couple of months ago.

If you drop it in the garage w/sliders and no bags, it will hit the slider and rotate farther over hitting the barend and f..ing up your mirror, the right one. If you drop it in the garage w/side bags on it hit like a sack of potatoes - Idaho baking - and stay there – won’t rotate over, but will scuff the bottom of your sidebag, the left one! All said and done, better with than without sliders.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Skyway's sliders, a drop on level ground (in front of Bill Mayer's, with two up -- God, how embarrasing!) will put the barest of dings on the bottom, outside edge of the of the slider and the bottom, outside edge of the muffler (where the taper meeets the canister). Bags and self and pillion came thru scuff-free, but dang, what a stupid place to drop a bike. Guess I was too happy with my seat? Actually, I was slo-mo-ing on the take off, hitting the horn to beep-beep a little, and turning to nod at the dude from San Diego we had met during the course of our build -- apparently too much to try all at the same time. I could add that my pillion was leaning the wrong way and the sun was in my eyes and the driveway had a lip where the pavement met the concrete, but really I just had an operator fart. Thank you Skyway. B)