Frame sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to post the obligatory "try searching with Google" response, but my quick test of the search didn't find anything too useful: https://www.google.com/search?q=sliders+site:fjrforum.com

I have the Motovation sliders and am happy with them. There are less expensive options out there, but be careful. Some of the plastic type sliders do not have an aluminum/steel collar, so the slider compresses as you torque down the bolt, then the bolt can loosen over time as the slider continues to deform under the pressure.

Here's Motovation's explanation for why their sliders are better:

Frame Slider Material Motovation Accessories uses a proprietary High Molecular Density (HMD) formulation of nylon. This nylon is impregnated during the extrusion process with UV inhibitors to resist destabilization of the molecular matrix and discoloration during prolonged UV exposure. This formulation is also molybdenum disulfide infused to give it the same lubricating properties as Delrin. This formulation is 75% more resistant to abrasion than Delrin and exhibits a reduced propensity to "chunk off" or "break off" during extended abrasive events and it's 'slickness' reduces it 'grabby-ness' during slides that may cause your bike to tumble and cause more damage.

What about Delrin or ABS?

Many frame slider manufacturers use them because it much softer, much cheaper and easier to machine, i.e. the material flakes off readily in a lathe and is much easier on the tools. The reason why Delrin is easier to work with therefore makes it a much less suitable choice than our selection for frame slider material. Notice in the pictures on the left that our material shows stringy edges at the point of abrasion. Delrin does not do this. It will chunk and break off on impact much more readily. Furthermore, Delrin is not UV stabilized and will discolor or turn grey in sunlight which will further downgrade it's structural strength. If you see a set of sliders that have been on a bike for a while and they are greying, they are most likely made of Delrin. When it is in that condition they will already have been destabilized by UV and will most likely crack when subjected to impact forces.
I believe the general consensus on aluminum sliders is a thumbs down. Many believe that aluminum sliders catch on the pavement more easily and then are solid enough to cause frame damage (actually, it has happened; not just an opinion), whereas a slider made out of a plastic-like material will slide, grind down, and/or deform/break in a serious slide, rather than breaking your frame. Keep in mind that sliders are primarily intended to protect the plastic in low-speed and zero mph tip-overs; not to protect your plastic/frame when sliding at high speeds. I'd rather my slider and plastic get damages in a faster slide than my frame.

I very recently purchased a set of these for my '07. Replaced my old Skyway Delrin sliders. Really like the OES product. Much better design.

OESaccessories

Great folks to deal with and talk to about their products.

I very recently purchased a set of these for my '07. Replaced my old Skyway Delrin sliders. Really like the OES product. Much better design.
OESaccessories

+1 OES is a great price and a great product. Be careful of the e-bay stuff unless it's OES or one of the brands listed above.

Has anybody installed the Meissner protector from Wild Hair Accessories? They are great looking but a little expensive. The Meissner protectors appear to be a little too short to do much good. I think they would look great on my new FJR but need some positive reviews before springing for them.

OESaccessories

:clapping: Thanks for the help--I'm gonna get the OES sliders. WOW $49.99
Good Choice!

IIRC these are the ones I put on my bike. I found them to be the best value for the $$.

Can't comment on their performance in a drop... yet! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to post the obligatory "try searching with Google" response, but my quick test of the search didn't find anything too useful: https://www.google.com/search?q=sliders+site:fjrforum.com
I have the Motovation sliders and am happy with them. There are less expensive options out there, but be careful. Some of the plastic type sliders do not have an aluminum/steel collar, so the slider compresses as you torque down the bolt, then the bolt can loosen over time as the slider continues to deform under the pressure.

Here's Motovation's explanation for why their sliders are better:

Frame Slider Material Motovation Accessories uses a proprietary High Molecular Density (HMD) formulation of nylon. This nylon is impregnated during the extrusion process with UV inhibitors to resist destabilization of the molecular matrix and discoloration during prolonged UV exposure. This formulation is also molybdenum disulfide infused to give it the same lubricating properties as Delrin. This formulation is 75% more resistant to abrasion than Delrin and exhibits a reduced propensity to "chunk off" or "break off" during extended abrasive events and it's 'slickness' reduces it 'grabby-ness' during slides that may cause your bike to tumble and cause more damage.

What about Delrin or ABS?

Many frame slider manufacturers use them because it much softer, much cheaper and easier to machine, i.e. the material flakes off readily in a lathe and is much easier on the tools. The reason why Delrin is easier to work with therefore makes it a much less suitable choice than our selection for frame slider material. Notice in the pictures on the left that our material shows stringy edges at the point of abrasion. Delrin does not do this. It will chunk and break off on impact much more readily. Furthermore, Delrin is not UV stabilized and will discolor or turn grey in sunlight which will further downgrade it's structural strength. If you see a set of sliders that have been on a bike for a while and they are greying, they are most likely made of Delrin. When it is in that condition they will already have been destabilized by UV and will most likely crack when subjected to impact forces.
I believe the general consensus on aluminum sliders is a thumbs down. Many believe that aluminum sliders catch on the pavement more easily and then are solid enough to cause frame damage (actually, it has happened; not just an opinion), whereas a slider made out of a plastic-like material will slide, grind down, and/or deform/break in a serious slide, rather than breaking your frame. Keep in mind that sliders are primarily intended to protect the plastic in low-speed and zero mph tip-overs; not to protect your plastic/frame when sliding at high speeds. I'd rather my slider and plastic get damages in a faster slide than my frame.
I noticed that the OES sliders are made of Delrin which Motivation states are inferior to their material, however, Motivations cost twice as much!

So are the options basically Delrin and/or Aluminum?
Delrin or some Nylon composite -vs- Aluminum...

I look at it this way... Growing up on a skateboard, back in the days of the nylon tail skid protectors.

I could not image the abrupt manner of a skid on a aluminum tail plate. Too much friction.

The Nylon material will rub down like an eraser without leaving scraping friction marks in the road,

and result in far less torque on your motor and frame.

Either way, they are one time use items you hope to never need!

I have no complaints with my OES sliders.

Drew, how often are you on I-240? I frequently see a East bound FJR when I am West bound in the afternoons.

Far out. I've never been on 240 with my FJR, but I've only had it for about 2 weeks. You wouldn't happen to work on Tinker would you? (noticed the USN part of your handle)

Buying a FJR tommorrow and he has a set of Skyways that were never installed. Are these good enough to take the time to install? Some of you are down on them.

Latest posts