Frank does Ca Hwy 36

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Bought a new 6x10 trailer for hauling my work quad and low and behold it will also haul a bike- imagine that :whistling:

IMG_0036-1.jpg

Trailer the FJR or even the FZ1?? Fuckin'a bubba! Here's my driveway quite a few times last winter.

febsnow004.jpg

Now when winter comes to Northern Ca I can load up two wheels and head south to ride. To test out the new rig I threw my FZ1 on board and drove over to Red Bluff for the night. Next morning unload the FZ and get ready for a fun ride on one of the best motorcycle roads made. Here's Frank just waiting to roll.

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Brought back some good memories of Wheatie & Airboss plus the rest of the FJR crew last May. I'm burning daylight and the high was supposed to be 103, it's time to move. Some great views..see the sliver of fog in the middle? That's close to the coast out there.

IMG_0082-1.jpg

Plenty of this..

IMG_0044-2.jpg

Arrived in Fortuna for lunch and it's a lovely 64 degrees at the coast. :yahoo: Being in no hurry to get back to the oven called Red Bluff I decided to ride the Lost Coast Road first. Let's say this may be the worse paved ( or something like pavement ) road on the west coast if not the world!

Here's the view of the fog as I drop down to the ocean, if you look close you can see the road dropping off the hill. Note this fine smooth pavement...

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

The fog rolled out just in time as I rode along the coast, it was worth the back and kidney damage to get there.

IMG_0154.jpg

I think with this picture says volumes on what a great day of riding I had.

Boots in the Pacific

IMG_0151.jpg

Made it back to Red Bluff by 6 pm and it had cooled down to 95 but I had just ridden 380 miles with no performance awards so it was another great day on two wheels. :lol:

Darn you.. Now I gots to ride 36 on the way home. That will make it a ss1k day..

(tx for posting.. love the shot with boots in the pac)

BTW, Frank is a great name.. IIRC Radman's FJR was named Frank too!

and Kwanajuadge has a FRANKenTractor..

I can't think of a worse road anywhere than the one down to the Lost Coast........

R
I could give you a few good candidates next time you're in the area. Madmike and Puppychow can vouch for my road selection skilz.

Great TR! Love the coast on a hot day, however at some point we will have to raz you for trailering your bike. Nothing personal, it's the rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of a worse road anywhere than the one down to the Lost Coast........

R
I could give you a few good candidates next time you're in the area. Madmike and Puppychow can vouch for my road selection skilz.

Great TR! Love the coast on a hot day, however at some point we will have to raz you for trailering your bike. Nothing personal, it's the rule.
Wanna be Harley owner? :huh:

R

The road from Ruth Lake to Alderpoint is no picnic either. There is more gravel sections now on the Lost Coast Road after last winter, I doubt they will ever repave those sections.

Raz me all you want but when the storm door is open this winter and the snow is flying in these parts I'll be headed south with the Feejeer ready to ride Anza Borrego :yahoo:

Carver, I have met both those Franks. This one has all the mods to let him breathe a bit better and with the nice pipe on him he just needed a manly name.

Wow...that looks like fun! :yahoo:

Great lookin FZ DougBug.

Seemed like I was out that way recently...but now it seems like it was eons ago.

Bought a new 6x10 trailer for hauling my work quad and low and behold it will also haul a bike- imagine that :whistling:

IMG_0036-1.jpg
That thing has BARE walls. You gotta get some posters stapled up. Here let me show you;

FJRPoster.jpg

or maybe this?

F4Tamb_2.jpg

Now, some places to ride would also be inspiring to your new trailering lifestyle. :p

O-StelvioPass-07Europebiketrip_315.jpg

Or, maybe just a few road signs that you pick up along the way? :lol:

GetInline-2.jpg

Anyways, have fun with the staple gun. :clapping:

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Brought back some good memories of Wheatie & Airboss plus the rest of the FJR crew last May. I'm burning daylight and the high was supposed to be 103, it's time to move. Some great views..see the sliver of fog in the middle? That's close to the coast out there.
June 2012. On the way to or from NAFO. I've ridden 4 times, West to East, going to make a point to ride it East to West.

There are many similar roads, but 36 just has something special about it.

Boots in the Ocean, love it. :)

Thanks gents, mighty high praise from Skooter :p

Karl, this was my first time over and back on the same day. Too much fun! I think I heard an 848 calling your name where the big power lines cross the road :lol:

I really enjoy reading about all these West coast ride trips. I've only been out West twice in my life and I've never ridden a bike out there. I've never heard of hwy 36 before. (none of us East Coasters have I don't think)

I just found this link on it https://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm and WOW! that looks like a Phenomenal route! :dribble:

Thanks gents, mighty high praise from Skooter :p

Karl, this was my first time over and back on the same day. Too much fun! I think I heard an 848 calling your name where the big power lines cross the road :lol:

Nebraska will be the issue, don't think I can hold that Duc in a straight line long enough to get it across that state. It do like to turn & burn. :lol:

I've never heard of hwy 36 before. (none of us East Coasters have I don't think)

Hwy 36 is great...a few of us have been out there.

2011MAYKALITRIP342.jpg

However, I think many on the FJRForum know about Hwy 36 in particular. Many because of a certain "Nut" on this board...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pic's, Bug! I love the 'fine smooth road'. I bet the rest of the ride makes it worth the effort, though. Thanks for sharing.