Free GPS Tracker program for PDA cellphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSpyda

Reaction score
I came across a free utility for Windows-based PDA's or smartphones.

https://www.logelog.com/utils/

It's called ReleRescue, and it was invented by a hang glider.

This is a weak alternative to the SPOT locator in that it can't summon help, but you could dial 911, if you have cell service.

Maybe for someone who rides locally or regionally...

I have an iPhone, so my search continues for a GPS Tracker for that.

Another resource for those of you with a Google email account is Latitude. It pretty much does the same way as instamapper. It's free and works on cellphones, Blackberrys and iPhones. https://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html

I should mention that this app doesn't track routes, but it only gives current location. For those with a phone or Blackberry which has he GPS disabled (Verizon customers), they use cell tower triangulation in order to guessimate the position.

-- Frank --

Last edited by a moderator:
Instamapper is great but on my Iphone is sucks up so much juice that even with it charging it still kills the phone:( I cant get it to work on my work phone/Blackberry Curve

Another resource for those of you with a Google email account is Latitude. It pretty much does the same way as instamapper. It's free and works on cellphones, Blackberrys and iPhones. https://www.google.com/latitude/intro.html
I should mention that this app doesn't track routes, but it only gives current location. For those with a phone or Blackberry which has he GPS disabled (Verizon customers), they use cell tower triangulation in order to guessimate the position.

-- Frank --

Thanks for the link. I will definitely be checking this out.

I tried Instamapper, but alas, my Verizon Blackberry has the internal GPS locked!! Verizon inhibits third party programs from accessing the BB's GPS. Only apps that they provide (for a fee) can get GPS positions. Bastids!!

I have not found Google Latitude to be all that useful. Have to keep turning it on to update it. Maybe Im doing something wrong.

Instamapper is great but on my Iphone is sucks up so much juice that even with it charging it still kills the phone:( I cant get it to work on my work phone/Blackberry Curve
You can adjust the send frequency. Default is every 5 seconds. When it's running, I only let it send every 5 minutes (300 seconds).

Changed instamapper update time to 120 seconds and ran it for an hour and the battery was still full while charging so that seems to be working very cool.

Instamatter is awesome on the iPhone. Jailbreak and u can run it in the background. Only way to go
Works great on my Android phone. No jailbreak needed.....multiple apps all at once. I set the instamapper for 10 min intervals and it can run all day with very little battery drain, as it only activates the GPS when needed.....but of course everyone knows that already :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My tracks is another great app, but that one eats a battery within a few hours.

I was checking for GPS tracking & logging apps for my EVO 4G. There is an app called Open Tracker GPS. This app allows the user to track their smart phones route by using GPS and store it for review. It draws the route in real time using Google Maps. The speed is drawn in colors. It says this app is available for Android Phones. WWW.androidfreeware.net/download-open-gps-tracker.html