free windshield screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
A couple years ago I mangled the heads on a couple stock windshield screws and replaced them with some stainless steel button head screws I had in the hardware drawer. I knew I'd get around to replacing with some black plastic ones when I got a 'round tuit'.

Well finally the day has come. I had to order some other hardware through McMaster Carr recently and I ordered a bag of 5mm x 20mm long black nylon screws. They are pan head screws and therefore slightly smaller in diameter but also a little thicker than the truss style head of the stock screws. They also have a better defined phillips recess than the stock screws. (less future damage I hope) Because of the smaller head diamter (maybe a millimeter) I used a washer under the head when installing. The screws fit fine, I have no worry about the functionality of any difference in performance from the stock set up, etc. No need to debate the differences here.

I bought a whole bag of 100 but only need, what are there, eight on the bike?, so I have a few extras to offer up to anyone needing them but too lazy or uninclined to procure them for themselves.

If you want to see a drawing of the screw, visit www.mcmaster.com and search for this p/n: 92492A328

Send me a PM with a mailing address and I'll mail them to you (US addresses please). Consider it an early Christmas present if you want.

I don't have a bunch of the washers to hand out. If you decide you need those, I suggest a 5mm (metric) or #10 SAE stainless steel.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

OK folks, that didn't take long. I've now got requests that will exhaust my excess my inventory. If you sent a

PM and I can't fulfill your request, I'll reply to it. Otherwise expect an envelope in the mail next week.

Thank you sir. received and installed....... Very kind of you indeed. :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell, thanks for the windshield screws as they came in mail today. I had completely forgotton about them. What a great surprise and thank you again.

Thanks for this, I've been looking all over for these screws and I'm not paying $2 apiece for them at the dealership!

I've got bag of 100 coming and I'll offer the same deal as FJReady if anyone wants some. I'm not sure when they'll be in though.

Also, I'm going to have Rick add the link in the GenII FAQ page.

Glen

Thanks for this, I've been looking all over for these screws and I'm not paying $2 apiece for them at the dealership!
I've got bag of 100 coming and I'll offer the same deal as FJReady if anyone wants some. I'm not sure when they'll be in though.

Also, I'm going to have Rick add the link in the GenII FAQ page.

Glen
I will take some off your hands Kirrilian. PM coming your way! Is the offer also good for 1 full set and a few extra spares?

I don't mind sending on a couple extra to folks, I know how easily they strip out as well.

My only request is if I send you some screws (which I'll ship for free too, provided it isn't too much) that you become part of the FJR assistance list if you can. There is a link my sig if you would like to be put on the list.

I've already helped a few folks due to that list and I'm sure I'll need someone's help at some point in the future too.

Glen