Freeway Cruising Gear and RPM Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, I always thought the FJR needed a 6th gear....... ;)

I agree - what Iggy said applies here...

.....not to be confused with another thread........

+1!

......as in the verb or command.

Last edited by a moderator:
Negatori... I never used fifth. I'm still kinda uncomfortable in fifth on the freeway, not from a less-buzz-in-my-wrist perspective, but from a leave-yourself-an-out comfort level. In third or fourth max, I feel like I have instant response if something comes at me. In fifth the bike doesn't jump when you move the throttle. But I'm getting used to it. I just have to downshift quickly.
Maybe there should be a Fifth Gear Self-Help Group: "Hi, my name is James and I never use fifth." "Welcome, James."
I've been riding for a pretty long time and I've never yet had to rely on an instant burst of speed on the freeway to get out of the way of anything. Usually it's just the opposite....good braking and quick turns are more valuable in my mind.

Negatori... I never used fifth. I'm still kinda uncomfortable in fifth on the freeway, not from a less-buzz-in-my-wrist perspective, but from a leave-yourself-an-out comfort level. In third or fourth max, I feel like I have instant response if something comes at me. In fifth the bike doesn't jump when you move the throttle. But I'm getting used to it. I just have to downshift quickly.
Maybe there should be a Fifth Gear Self-Help Group: "Hi, my name is James and I never use fifth." "Welcome, James."
I've been riding for a pretty long time and I've never yet had to rely on an instant burst of speed on the freeway to get out of the way of anything. Usually it's just the opposite....good braking and quick turns are more valuable in my mind.
Obviously not a resident of CA and doesn't spend much, if any, of his time riding between the lanes. (Lane sharing for TWN's benefit.) While Sacramento is just a little farming community and the need for L/S is limited, I have on occasion resorted to it and I "know" what JB means by, "leave-yourself-an-out". However, James, by using the 1st key, "Aim-high-in-steering" one can often anticipate problems far in advance and thus avoid having to use 3rd gear all day. Having viewed your "commute" which appears to be 80-90% "Lane Sharing". I think I understand. I still think you should use 5th, or at least 4th, more often....For the environment. :p

LC

OK, come clean - this entire thread is a joke that no one has gotten yet, right?

James, it's your bike ride it in any gear you want. If you want to ride in 3rd or 4th doing Urban Combat Assault go for it

Bay area traffic is a bitch.

:clapping:

My FJR has other gears? I just let the clutch out and go, where are the other gears? Maybe it's just the US models that have more than 1st gear down, neutral up? :dribble:

Obviously not a resident of CA and doesn't spend much, if any, of his time riding between the lanes. (Lane sharing for TWN's benefit.) While Sacramento is just a little farming community and the need for L/S is limited, I have on occasion resorted to it and I "know" what JB means by, "leave-yourself-an-out". However, James, by using the 1st key, "Aim-high-in-steering" one can often anticipate problems far in advance and thus avoid having to use 3rd gear all day. Having viewed your "commute" which appears to be 80-90% "Lane Sharing". I think I understand. I still think you should use 5th, or at least 4th, more often....For the environment. :p
LC
While sacramento may be a "little farming community", with a metro area of over a million, we have world class gridlock. No one should know that better than someone in Elk Grove though the carpool lane on 99 is usually pretty open at least until you hit downtown north bound in the evening where I can be seen lane sharing daily. However, I don't share lanes at 80 mph so the 5th gear issue is moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok James - I hit the Bay area commute about every two weeks or so - it scares me in the cage - I completely understand why you never see 5th during the week. weekends however are a different matter, you have some great weekend rides.

Stay safe.

Lane sharing is illegal in Georgia and dangerous since the cagers don't expect it and hate it. So I can't really comment on what gear works for that. But, as a rule, whether I'm on a four lane urban stop and go, the interstate or a two lane backcounty cruise, I use whatever gear keeps me in the 4-5k range. If I'm in good twisties, I might move that up to the 5-6-7 range. Seems to be plenty of instant go available from 4-5. Peak torque (just under 90 ft/lbs) is at about 6,600 but there's 80 ft/lbs at 4000.