Frogg Toggs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new rain suit. I have always completely loathed the Frogg Togg rain gear in the past but I've been thinking about trying that brand again. I put hands on a FT suit for sale in Cycle Gear & it appears that the material has been improved & no longer feels like a sheet of paper... Maybe 5 sheets of paper, now. Is there anyone that can verify & can tell me which model is the better for riding. I know that they've come out with a couple of different models geared towards riding.

Opinions on Frogg Toggs??? & Please do not tell me the original suit. I'm not even sure what it's called. I already know it's a this as paper POS.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOH! - Love Frog Togs
smile.png

Thank you for your opinion David Foley. I guess I'm going to edit my post to say "opinion on Frogg Toggs".

Heidi,

I had (actually still have) my original FT rain suit, bought in 2002. I think it's made of Tyvek, that waterproof paper used in home construction. Used it without too many complaints for about 7 or 8 years, but I wore throught the elbows and knees just wearing the damn thing, so replaced it with a Hi-Vis Road Toad suit from FT. I LOVED it....at first.....'till one of the snaps over the front zipper went AWOL, and the zipper then came apart. SHIT!

Now I'M looking for a new lightweight rain suit, too. Although I love the look and feel of the Road Toad suit, I doubt I'll be going back to a Frogg Togg product.

Ideally, I want something with a metal, not plastic, zipper closure in front, with a full-lenth velcro closure over the zipper to close up the front.

Actually, the pants are in great shape...it's just the jacket that needs replacing. And rainy season is coming soon to Central Florida, so I'll have to find something soon.

Keep this thread up-to-date with what you find, okay??

Frogg Toggs makes many products. Just for cycle rain gear alone they make 5 ranges of protection. I used to have the Road Toads", which is probably what Cycle Gear is stocking. The old Road Toads were indeed POS. I have NOT tried the newer version.
I would be more tempted to try the 'Highway Elite" line of FT. Most likely, you get what you pay for.

Hi Heidi.

I bought a Road Toad suit back in 2012 - despite all the negative comments about Frogg Toggs.

The suit has been tested in many, multi day, downpours of biblical proportions, it has never leaked a drop!

I'm a happy 'Frogg Togger'.

Al.

I have the Bull Frogg rain pants and have been very happy with them. Zippers at the bottom part of the legs make them easier to get into with moto boots. I ordered a size larger than I normally would wear to fit over other gear. I also ordered men's sizes because women's tend to be too short in the inseam for me (I have a 33" inseam). I went with a Tourmaster rain jacket as the FT jackets just seemed too bulbous... like wearing rain gear is a such a slimming proposition as it is. :lol:

Frog Togs are made of tyvek, so they do feel odd.

However, they crumple up nice and small, and I've never had a leak problem.

Although these are my frog tog hiking gear, and I've not tried them on the MC, but when it comes time to get a rain suit for the bike, it will be frog togs.

Road Toads here - very satisfied.

Now - in a real Frog Strangler rain (pun intended), nothing's going to keep you 100% dry. But for the run of the mill shower, F/T's are Ok by me.

I used FT for a while. No idea which ones, basic, got them at Bass Pro. Howie, they lasted 7 or 8 years and you're complaining? I guess I don't know how much use they get, but I think that's reasonable for FT products.

I burned the leg on the pants and just put duct on the inside for a while. Now I just wear my 'regular' pants all year. I do have mesh pants and jacket for around town, nice day riding. But if going on the road, it's my full gear, which is 'water proof', as another poster mentioned, nothing is completely perfect, especially if you don't close the vents completely and properly- DAMHIK.

Bottom line, I would use FT again, if I were in the market for something along those lines. Yeah, they ain't flattering. But as my sidecar instructor said, "If you don't like the way you look in your gear, dont' look in the mirror"

I had a set of FT's purchased from my local dealer a couple of years back. They certainly did not look flattering, but did a great job at keeping me dry against the elements. Unfortunately, mine were all black, and a perfect match for the trash bag I was using on a moto-camping trip, and they somehow "disappeared" one day while breaking down camp!

I have since went with a one-piece Stich which works better for me, but still consider the FT's a decent bang for the buck.

I always end up wet before I would stop for a rain suit. I have tried different things and am interested in the FT suits. I may buy one just to see. The only thing I don't like about rain suits is how much they seal in the heat. I usually end up soaked from the inside anyway.

FWIW, Harley makes awesome rain suits. Also, for emergencies where you may not be prepared but gotta ride a distance in the rain, Walmart sells some awesome waterproof stuff for cheap. Doesn't breath, so a person may sweat some parts off.

Currently I have a Field Sheer set of rain gear. It's kept me as dry as anything else I ever tried and it packs small. I got it on closeout a couple years ago, but it wasn't crazy expensive to begin with.

I'm kinda shocked 'owie didn't wear out the knees in them britches.
whistle.gif

I've a Marsee Dry Rider I picked up on Flea bay for 99 cents! 10 bucks to ship.

7 years on it, on and off the bike and except for a seam coming undone on the pants it's been a damned good unit.

I will eventually re-weld that seam.

I have the second gen Road Toads, hi viz. Better zippers, a little heavier material. Froggies also have lined versions, way too thick and not easily stowable...... BTW, have you looked at the Olympia Horizon rain gear? The jacket with the hood looks good....... not sure about breathability, Froggies breathe and you don't feel like a clam.

I always end up wet before I would stop for a rain suit. I have tried different things and am interested in the FT suits. I may buy one just to see. The only thing I don't like about rain suits is how much they seal in the heat. I usually end up soaked from the inside anyway.
I have a pair of the pants that I don't use anymore...if you want to try them out. They worked well for me, and are no where near as hot as the Tourmaster rain suit that I had.

I have a pair of the pants that I don't use anymore...if you want to try them out. They worked well for me, and are no where near as hot as the Tourmaster rain suit that I had.
Bring them to the ramble.

Bring them to the ramble.
will do

So, the general consensus is the Road Toads (version 2)?

I "think" this might be what I'm reading. I am not even considering the original Frogg Toggs. I've already tried a pair, ripped them the very first time that I wore them... plus they didn't even cover the length of my 32" inseam legs. I vowed to never again buy them... but now with the thicker material, & certain models geared towards riders, I may try them again.