Frogg Toggs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the Road Toad new version is probably what you saw and touched. It is a heavier version of their woven polyester material that they are best known for, which is water repellant and very breathable. We have a couple of sets of these for the missus and myself (HiViz jackets and black pants) and we carry them along with us in the heat of summer when wearing mesh riding gear. They are a lot bulkier than the original single layer FroggToggs, but I assume they do a better job of keeping you dry with extended use (and folding).

Frogg Togg also makes a more substantial version of a rain suit called the Horny Toadz. Those are made from their fabric called Toad Skinz, which is a much more conventional feeling rain suit material, similar to other manufacturers. They are quite nice, but a bit on the heavy side and will not pack down too small. I assume they will not ventilate as well as the open polyester fabric, but may actually give better water resistance. I've tried them on up at White Horse and they seem very well constructed and would surely do the job well.

We have some great rain jackets we've owned for a long time now that are similar to the Horny Toadz in construction (Technik Otisca) that are no longer in production. Generally when we know the weather is going to be foul we'll opt for wearing the waterproof Olympia riding gear (AST jackets and Ranger pants) vs carrying the more substantial rain gear. But riding two up you are always more stretched for luggage space than a solo rider.

One summer possibility is to use a pair of waterproof riding pants (whatever you own/use, ideally GoreTex for warm weather breathability) in combination with a mesh riding jacket, and then only need to carry the more substantial rain jacket for showers and/or when it gets too chilly for your mesh. Those wind blocking rain jackets work well to keep you warm on cool mornings too.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen on multiple cross-country rides with 12-20 other bikers, not any type of rain gear will keep you completely dry when it pours or rains for hours on end. The difference is in how long it takes the rain to get through, what parts get wet first, and how comfortable the stuff is otherwise. Of the kinds I've tried, I liked my FT best because they were very light, packed up small, and did seem to breath well. Of course, they were unflattering as could be and too short in the leg, but so is all raingear I've tried. Sorry, I know that doesn't really help, since it doesn't say what type of Frogg Toggs, but I do recommend giving them a go, once you can decide what kind.

Nice to see another female FJR rider...I knew they must be out there, I just haven't seen one in person yet! :)

There are many woman FJR riders on this board, Abigail. Thanks for the info. & I'm guessing that you have the original Frogg Toggs that were short in the leg. There are several different models now that are geared towards riders. I expect those aren't going to be too short.

PS... I ran into the same problem with the original FT's... too short in the legs... & I only have a 32" inseam.

There are many woman FJR riders on this board, Abigail. Thanks for the info. & I'm guessing that you have the original Frogg Toggs that were short in the leg. There are several different models now that are geared towards riders. I expect those aren't going to be too short.
PS... I ran into the same problem with the original FT's... too short in the legs... & I only have a 32" inseam.
Try ordering a men's size... they tend to have longer inseams. :)

That was a men's size that I ordered originally & was too short. Thanks for the thoughts Tyler. You'd think ordering men's sizes would be fine for a woman.

That was a men's size that I ordered originally & was too short. Thanks for the thoughts Tyler. You'd think ordering men's sizes would be fine for a woman.
Sometimes... in the past I've ordered men's tall sizes and those seem to do the trick. This last pair of FT pants that I mentioned above seem to have figured out that hey needed more leg length overall not just for the legs but also to go over all the gear. The best idea I saw in women's pants were a Joe Rocket style that had snaps at varied levels on the bottom of the pants so all you had to do was tuck them under and snap them to the length that fit you best... and they were nice and long to begin with for those who didn't need them shortened. Was a brilliant idea... wish more manufacturers would be creative like that. ;)

I love my frog toggs! They feel like paper towels. It is amazing how they will keep you dry in a down pour at 60mph! I would recommend getting one size bigger to fit over your riding jacket and pants.

It's funny to me how many like Frogg Toggs and how utterly worthless mine were. I guess mine were their "GenI" style that people have mentioned. I ended up giving them away. Yeh, they felt like paper towels, and for my money, were equally water repellant. Maybe later and thicker styles work better, IDK.

Couple years ago I found myself in Seattle in a rainstorm (what a shock), and the gear I brought had me good and wet. So my last day up there I went to a REI store and bought one of their lightweight rain suits. It was expensive, but much more packable than the FTs I'd had before (I'd already ditched the FTs and it was a cheap nylon rain suit that had failed me this time). Anyway, the REI set worked beautifully in a much heavier and longer rain than the storm that soaked me on the way up. So there's that. But later I saw a set at Costco, of all places, that looks identical to my REI gear at about a third of the REI price--like under $50 for both parts. I think that's the one I'd try next if I was looking.

I've been using a full wet-suit. It never leaks and makes me look like stud, too!
IMG_0485.png