From Nuetral to First

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulling in the clutch lever and backing up about a two inches seems to take care of that for me, or, pull the lever and wait a few seconds. Either way, if you don't hit the shifter with some authority, it will grind.

Personally, I like the authoritative clunk, and, if the motor's cold, the lurch forward like some kind of angry animal. A not-so-subtle reminder of the enormous pools of power sitting under the gas tank.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. Shift into each successively lower gear as you get within a good mid-range for that gear (so you can scoot away if needed). As you approach the stop, shift into 1st before you come to a complete stop but not so early that you are forcing it to go in when the rolling speed is faster than a moderate speed you'd use when accelerating in 1st (iow: don't wait for a complete stop to shift to 1st).

I disagree with the 900rpm recommendation. I have always found that the FJR likes to idle at the recommended 1100 rpm.

As for being in first at idle and MSF: I've taken ERC courses about every other year for the past 20 years and they've always taught that you should be in gear as you roll to a stop (and stay in gear with your left foot on the ground). This for the reasons already discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
MSF recommends you always have it in first gear when you are stopped, so you can quickly move if a situation arises.
Not what is was taught when i took my MSF coarse. The bike had to be in nuetral when coming to a complete stop.

Has something changed?
You are talking about different situations.

Shifting to neutral when stopped is when you are going to the staging area.

When doing all the other manuvers, you shift to first as you apply both brakes, left foot touches the ground first. In fact it is one of the evaluation critera for the quick stop in the riding test at the end.

In the MSF training situation you have 12-15 (possibly) novice motorcycle operators returning to staging area in close proximity to one another. If they are mistakenly in gear and let the clutch out while the engine is still running you can injure others in the class.