From R1 to FJR; my observations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a lot of bikes over the years; often several at a time. There was never a time when the FJR wasn't the bike I'd keep if I could only have one.

I like my GoldWIng better for 2 up X-country. A modified Suzuki TLR was the torque monster from hell and a modified ZRX1200R was my favorite bike if I wasn't going more than a couple of hundred miles.

The FJR simply does so many things well it has to be the overall winner.

I still have my FZ1 ('02) which was based on the R1, but more comfortable.

Then I got the FJR and, had I not had the FZ1 already, I never would have gotten the FZ1. Don't get me wrong--the FZ1 is a GREAT bike and I love it.

So I compromised: We have a vacation home and the FZ1 lives there now.

Hi all,

It took me a while but I was able to remember 27 bikes I've had since 1968. As everyone says, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. My humble opinion is that the FJR tips the scales toward strengths better than any I've owned. I had and loved a Gen 1 2005 and will take possession of a Gen 111 2015ES on Wednesday.

Does anyone remember the 1965 Allstate 50cc? My first production bike. I was a hooked teenager.

Horsefly

Hi all,
I

Does anyone remember the 1965 Allstate 50cc? My first production bike. I was a hooked teenager.

Horsefly
Of course an older model for me. First ride, bought it with money saved from my newspaper route. $285.00 big bucks.

My first motorized bike was a Schwinn motorbike in 1957 then a Cushman motor scooter in 1958. First motorcycle was a 1957 200cc 2 stroke Zundapp. No bikes from 1966 to 1995 (Military and career requiring much domestic and international travel). Resumed riding in 1995 with a Yamaha Virago 1100. In 2004 bought a new BMW R1200C Montauk. Moved up to 2007 FJR in 2008 and another 2007 in 2009. Currently 2014ES and perhaps my last purchase. This bike has everything I need for reliable touring. Looking back, the 2014ES is the best ride I have ever had.

Still have my first street bike but it needs a little work.

12321570_10154000545189628_6237391233270976411_n.jpg

1966 Norton Atlas 650cc

Now back to your regular scheduled program.

Hi all,

I

Horsefly
Of course an older model for me. First ride, bought it with money saved from my newspaper route. $285.00 big bucks.
Yep, get it from you local Sears store.

My first motorized 2 wheel experience was when I was 12 and cannibalized an old lawn mower for it's Briggs & Stratton engine and bolted it to my bicycle frame with a piece of angle iron with a centrifugal clutch and belt to a big pulley attached to the spokes of the rear wheel. What a blast that was!

It took me a while to find the perfect bike:

1970 Suzuki TS-90 (used)

1970 Suzuki T-350 Rebel (used)

1971 Suzuki TS-250 (new, 40k miles)

1972 Penton 125 MX bike (used)

1974 Yamaha TY250 Trials bike (used)

1980 Kawasaki 440 (kept for 4 months)

1981 Kawasaki GPz550 (new, 55k miles)

1987 Honda VFR750 (used, in New Zealand)

1988 Suzuki GS850G (used)

1995 Kawasaki Concours (new, 68k miles)

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 (100k)

and:

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (buying in May '16)

To the OP's topic: I didn't come from a sportbike, but it looks like not as many people came from sportbikes as I would have thought.

I came from a 83 Venture. I had been wanting them to make a sportier version of the Venture for years and they finally did. No V4 though. I'm on my third FJR. Love em.

GP

Just basically made the exact same switch. 2001 R6 -> 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 -> 2013 FJR. I'd argue that's a pure sportbike transition. I'd think the bikes manufactured prior to the 2000's lacked the shear aggressive ergo's of the 20th century sportbikes. My Daytona beat all I've ever seen as far as aggressive stances go. 99% of the weight on your wrists....all the time. Great for pure track conditions or super aggressive riding, otherwise not so much. Older (and newer) R6's weren't as bad. For some reason the Triumph was just a menace. 2nd gear switch backs is where it thrived, and anywhere else that was halfway curvy and/or fast. Although my time on the FJR is limited, I've already thrown it into some benders at well over the posted limit, and it can in fact dance. It also makes normal riding fun again. To me, it's just reinvigorating. The Triumph, and even the R6, became boring after I'd pushed the limit for so long. Normal riding was mundane, and I had to skirt death to have a good time. Not on the FJR. It's a blast to ride whenever, wherever, and when the turns come around, it's even more fun. I can't wait to pass some sportbikes!!! Glad to have another "true" convert on here. Seems like all the old guys are talking TZ's, CB's, and who knows what else
rolleyes.gif

Although my time on the FJR is limited, I've already thrown it into some benders at well over the posted limit, and it can in fact dance. It also makes normal riding fun again. To me, it's just reinvigorating. ... Normal riding was mundane, and I had to skirt death to have a good time. Not on the FJR. It's a blast to ride whenever, wherever, and when the turns come around, it's even more fun. I can't wait to pass some sportbikes!!! Glad to have another "true" convert on here. Seems like all the old guys are talking TZ's, CB's, and who knows what else
rolleyes.gif
you took the words right out of my mouth. My R1 was just begging to be ridden at speeds that would get me in trouble with Uncle LEO in a hurry. The FJR lets me enjoy riding again, and like you say, I can certainly hustle her through the curves to provide plenty of grins!

I started out on sportbikes as well. My first bike was a 1990 Yamaha FZR-600, bought in 1996. Fun bike, but I really didn't know what the hell I was doing. In '97, I bought a new YZF-600R, and I've had an absolute blast on that thing. I still have it in the garage with 122000 miles on it. I used it for day rides and the occasional overnight trip. My longest trip on it prior to '05 was 4 days.

The touring bug bit in 2005, and I bought a '99 BMW R1100RT-P, ex-CHP. I've been all over the place on that thing, adding 110000 miles to it's odometer. I don't ride it as much as I used to. When I started dating the wife, I took her out for a 6 day/1900 mile ride on the YZF. How she did 6 days on the back of a 600cc sportbike, I'll never know. After that ride, she said "That was fun! But I'll never go out for that long on the YZF again. You need to get a bigger bike for me to ride along." With the BMW being a single-seater, the only obvious choice was an FJR. I bought my first FJR in March '11. I've only covered 51500 miles on two FJRs, but it's a fantastic machine. And with a V46 mounted as a backrest, the wife has been out with me for as many as 12 days. That's money well-spent, right there.

I started out on sportbikes as well. My first bike was a 1990 Yamaha FZR-600, bought in 1996. Fun bike, but I really didn't know what the hell I was doing. In '97, I bought a new YZF-600R, and I've had an absolute blast on that thing.
I got back into riding on an ST1100 that wasn't mine, but I was the chauffeur to the owner. My first bike of MY modern age was a Thundercat, too. I've owned two, in fact (1st and 2nd gen). I did buy another ST1100 for myself, but after two years, it became clear that the ST just wasn't capable enough for me. My FJR cured me of my malaise.

I let a 22yr old friend ride my FJR Sunday and he's decided he needs something like it after he's done with dual-sports and sportbikes. I suspect it will be sooner than later, though, as he gets tired of the old man on the heavy bike out-riding him. :)

Although my time on the FJR is limited, I've already thrown it into some benders at well over the posted limit, and it can in fact dance. It also makes normal riding fun again. To me, it's just reinvigorating. ... Normal riding was mundane, and I had to skirt death to have a good time. Not on the FJR. It's a blast to ride whenever, wherever, and when the turns come around, it's even more fun. I can't wait to pass some sportbikes!!! Glad to have another "true" convert on here. Seems like all the old guys are talking TZ's, CB's, and who knows what else
rolleyes.gif
you took the words right out of my mouth. My R1 was just begging to be ridden at speeds that would get me in trouble with Uncle LEO in a hurry. The FJR lets me enjoy riding again, and like you say, I can certainly hustle her through the curves to provide plenty of grins!
The cool thing about the FJR with the bags on, the uncle LEO will not look as closely at you as a pure sport bike.

Although my time on the FJR is limited, I've already thrown it into some benders at well over the posted limit, and it can in fact dance. It also makes normal riding fun again. To me, it's just reinvigorating. ... Normal riding was mundane, and I had to skirt death to have a good time. Not on the FJR. It's a blast to ride whenever, wherever, and when the turns come around, it's even more fun. I can't wait to pass some sportbikes!!! Glad to have another "true" convert on here. Seems like all the old guys are talking TZ's, CB's, and who knows what else :rolleyes:
The cool thing about the FJR with the bags on, the uncle LEO will not look as closely at you as a pure sport bike.
Unless his radar gun is showing you 30 over...