Front Brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron melton

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Has anyone done anything to improve the bite on the front brakes? I have an 05 FJR & it seems as though the front brakes have always been a little weak. To be honest i haven't bled them yet, maybe this is the problem. Thanks for any positive comments.

When a lot of the guys went with the Spiegler group buy for the stainless brake lines, there was also the option to get the Carbon Lorraine brake pads. These seemed to help the braking somewhat though my FJR has always been a two finger brake system even with the factory originals.

The brakes on my 06 are superb. You might be right, bleeding couldn't hurt. I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions.

Ron

Glad to se you are back safe and sound from AK! sounds like you had a great trip! The front break on my 06 seems really good! you might try bleeding them. not sure how much if any it will help.

See you you on the road soon.

randy

Bleed them and consider changing pads. I've switched to EBC HH+ pads and they are an improvement over stock pads. I'm sure that most of the other brands offer alternatives as well. If none of that works to your satisfaction, try clamping down on the brake lever overnight with a bungee cord or other device that will sustain a pull on the lever. This apparently forces residual air out of the system -- I don't know -- but it seems to work.

The front brakes on my ABS '04 were fine. I rode Speedfreak's ABS '05 and was shocked at how soft the lever feel was. I saw several brake threads last year where specifically the '05 owners commented that the front brake felt soft. The brake hardware was supposed to be the same from '04 to '05.

Any '05 owners want to discuss brake lever feel? ABS vs non ABS?

Brake lines, better pads and careful bleeding should give good lever feel and solid, sure stops, but first start with properly bleeding the brakes and consider better pads. If that still doesn't do it, go with the brake lines too. I just put EBC HH pads on my '04 and they *really* work well.

My '06 has great stopping power and feel. Only one or two fingers hauls me down. I LOVE these brakes.

Then again, compared to my last bike, which was a 750 pound cruiser with only four pistons in front, my kids bicycle felt like it had better stopping power.........

Carbon Lorraine ran special about a year back. (buy the front and get the rear free)

To be honest I found no improvement over the OEM's.

But, they are certainly not worse either. (I have 13K mls on them)

I have never have issue with the front brakes.

My issue was that the rear can lock up so easy it is scary.

A little air in the rear brake system is a good thing.

There are a few low side victims lurking about that might agree.

My OhFive stockers seemed good to me...until I upgraded to the CL pads (mentioned above) and the Spiegler braided lines. What a dramatic improvement in feel. They feel solid as a rock now.

A little air in the rear brake system is a good thing.
:blink: :dribble:
Uhhh...rather than keep air in the lines just adjust the way in which you apply braking pressure...
2cents.gif

Mine is an '05. Brakes appear fine, though I have no other feej to compare with. I do get slight variation in lever pull distance, but I imagine that is just some slight variations on piston return. Once brakes engaged, feel is consistent.

My 03 are soft even compaired to my 86 FJ. I have the braided lines and pads. Hopefully will get to it in the next couple of weeks. Will post results.

Change the brake fluid. Use Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4. It has a higher temperature and doesn't absorb water. I would get the 'Speed Bleeders' it makes it a lot easier. THey have a check valve for bleeding that doesn't let air back in. TJ

Lever shouldn't have much give no matter the bite of the pads

My issue was that the rear can lock up so easy it is scary.A little air in the rear brake system is a good thing.

There are a few low side victims lurking about that might agree.
This is the epilogue to every "I don't need no steenkin' ABS" post every written. :p

CL pads

Spiegler lines

ABM rotor

Replace green "fluid-like" material with clean stuff

result - Muy bueno :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the positive comments, my 05 ABS has 5500 miles on it as it shares riding duty with another bike. I will try bleeding the brakes first, new fluid second & new pads third. I thought there were no stainless brake line kits for ABS bikes? My problem is that pulling on the front lever just doesn't seem to slow the bike down as well as it should. I was use to the front brakes on a CBR900RR, that worked really well, also the brakes on my R1200GS stop you very well with little effort, they are ABS linked power boosted brakes, the best i've ever had. I really like my FJR & want to get the brakes working right. Thanks again! Here's one of my favorite photos out of the 160 that i took on my recent trip to Alaska.

P52604478x6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: