Front end float

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windchaser1942

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this situation out to no avail so I figured if anybody could solve it, this board would be it. I have been running a Cal Sc. medium windshield on my 06 bike. When I am headed into a strong wind or have strong gusty cross winds hitting me at an angle the front end of my bike "feels" real squirrly and the back end seems to want to come around. Another way to describe it is the bike seems to be "worming it's way thru the wind". It will dart from side to side giving me the feeling like it is trying to lean to either the right or left. Normally I run the windscreen up about 2 inches but when this happens I lower it all the way down. Frankly, it is a condition that is hard to explain. Anyway are their some suspension adjustments that I could make to correct this problem.

Another thought I had was that the front tire was causing this but I don't have any unusual wear. The bike has about 7500 miles on and I don't detect any problems with the steering head or any wobble at other times. The bike is pretty tight. Physically I am a good sized rider , 6'2 and weight about 250 lbs. I have never experienced this problem on any of my other bikes which were cruisers. I did have a similar feeling a couple of times while riding my son's FZ 1.

Whatever guys, (and gals) this is the best I can do explaining the problem. So, with that said, I'll just sit down here on the road side and wait to hear your "collective wisdom" as to what might be giving me this impression. As always....thanks in advance for your imput!

Umm, yer riding an FJR when it's really windy?? Maybe an Ultra Glide might be the ticket......

That or a Hummer.

:jester:

Any top box? If so, they make things particularly squirrely in the aerodynamics department.

And second thing are aftermarket shields I've noticed can be a bit twitchy in quartering winds....but still light years better than other bikes I've had.

Any top box? If so, they make things particularly squirrely in the aerodynamics department.
And second thing are aftermarket shields I've noticed can be a bit twitchy in quartering winds....but still light years better than other bikes I've had.
+1 After riding a lot with the trunk off, then putting it on and riding freeway one day, I was really surprised at how it seemed to dart around. I had the trunk off for some time so I just wasn't used to it.

I'll back up what Iggy said. I've got a cal-sci medium on mine, and, without the top box (givi), its as stable as can be expected (were not talking 40+mph winds here are we?). Throw the givi on the back and in certain conditions, it definitely generates a weave. The first time it happened I thought I had a low front tire - it felt like the bike was slaloming. Take the givi off. No problem.

I'll back up what Iggy said. I've got a cal-sci medium on mine, and, without the top box (givi), its as stable as can be expected (were not talking 40+mph winds here are we?). Throw the givi on the back and in certain conditions, it definitely generates a weave. The first time it happened I thought I had a low front tire - it felt like the bike was slaloming. Take the givi off. No problem.

I have Cal Sci large and with the GIVI on it will have a really minor weave. I haven't noticed any weave with the Givi off, which is how I run most of the time. Believe me after a while you will get use to it.

7500 miles on the bike......same on the rubber?, IF so...figure that one out, most here are lucky to get 5 to 6k out of a set of tires before they stop showing the love.

-Don

Annnd tire pressure,..checked that lately?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey brother, you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the feeling I get and yes, there is a Givi Topbox! Thanks for the comeback!

7500 miles on the bike......same on the rubber?, IF so...figure that one out, most here are lucky to get 5 to 6k out of a set of tires before they stop showing the love.
-Don

Annnd tire pressure,..checked that lately?
Rubber is new on the back, still has some life on the front has no cupping or flat spots. I am not a hard rider by any means. Yes, the tire pressures have been checked and are ok. Thanks for your reply!

If the front compression, preload, and rebound are out of sync, you'll notice some unwelcome handling. Also, don't ignore the rear...every movement of the rear suspension affects the front, and visa versa.

Check out the Suspension section in the: Bin O Facts. The link to Jeff Ashe's post on the subject is also a good read.

Even with the stock windshield, no top case or side bags mine has forced me to make some interesting and unprepared lane changes. There is a highway south of me, I-65, that has miles of this open country 'wind phenomena'. I've talked to a few other riders about this same road and they agree about its unpredictability. I never had this trouble with my naked bike (w/windshield) on the same stretch. I assume that it's greatest affect is on bikes with lots of flat surfaces like farings, large windshields, and side/top cases. It's so bad that if I absolutely need to take that road, I keep it down to the minimum speed and stay in the center of the right lane when possible. :eek:

Thanx for the point, I have always just left me Givi on {till now!} full, empty,wind or not