Front end rattle 2016 FJRES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be suffering this mystery ES front end rattle as well on the 2018 matte blue bike.
not_i.gif

Mortenk has accurately described this clucking sound. It is particularly noticeable over small bumps, driveway lips, small potholes, etc.

I am hard-pressed to think a factory new bike with less than 1000 miles on it suffers from loose steering stem bearings, but damn if the symptoms don't line up almost perfectly.

I want to disassemble the handlebars/triple tree like I want a hole in my head, so I need to exhaust all these other possibilities here first.

I know it's not the two forward fuel tank bolts.

I don't think it's the calipers - but I'll give them a good look anyway.

Back in the Day, we use to be able to remove the triple tree and leave the handlebars in place. Not so sure this is the case on modern-day ES bikes, since they have a wire harness connected at the tops of the forks - what an ass pain this will be, if I have to actually adjust steering head bearings.
sad.png

So I am hoping I find it is something else.
I purchased my 2016ES with 3k miles on it. On the 350 mile ride home I noticed an excessive front end noise. (seemed loose when passing over less than smooth sections of pavement) I re-torqued the steering stem bearings and cap nut with very noticeable/positive results. However, there is still a slightly clunky feel passing over small bumps, driveway lips, manhole covers, etc.. It's not a loose feeling or as pronounced as before, but I still sense something when passing over these areas. Funny, because it's not consistent. It happens randomly. There are times when I expect it to happen and the bike rolls over these areas smooth as butter, which is the majority of the time.
smile.png

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your brake rotors. Sit beside your front wheel, grasp the disc like a steering wheel, try rotating it rapidly left then right, see if you get the noise. Try both sides. Found this on two out of my four FJRs.

If this is the case, there's nothing wrong, it's just the floating rotors floating. Can give the noise when pushing and pulling on the handlebars with the front brake on, sounds all the world like the head bearing.

Mine reduced over time, presumably because the rivet holes clogged up with brake dust and road gunge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to be suffering this mystery ES front end rattle as well on the 2018 matte blue bike.
not_i.gif

Mortenk has accurately described this clucking sound. It is particularly noticeable over small bumps, driveway lips, small potholes, etc.

I am hard-pressed to think a factory new bike with less than 1000 miles on it suffers from loose steering stem bearings, but damn if the symptoms don't line up almost perfectly.

I want to disassemble the handlebars/triple tree like I want a hole in my head, so I need to exhaust all these other possibilities here first.

I know it's not the two forward fuel tank bolts.

I don't think it's the calipers - but I'll give them a good look anyway.

Back in the Day, we use to be able to remove the triple tree and leave the handlebars in place. Not so sure this is the case on modern-day ES bikes, since they have a wire harness connected at the tops of the forks - what an ass pain this will be, if I have to actually adjust steering head bearings.
sad.png

So I am hoping I find it is something else.
loosen the pinch bolts, remove the center nut, slide the assembly up, no need to tear everything apart. i have done it on my 16es, when new and last fall. repacked, and retorqued. I use a socket and not a spanner, but the first time was the spanner.