Front Stand option?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
Eventually, if you're doing your own maintenance, you'll need to suppport the front frame. The solution is something like the Dick McWay Front-End Stand:

Or, the Dick McWay Inexpensive Bike Stand:

... or simply jacking under the exhaust pipes.

Has anybody wondered if maybe something like this could be made for the FJR?

ducati-stands.jpg

F0015-003LG.jpg

Pictured is a Pit Bull Ducati "J" hook converter <Link>

Ducati owners shit diamonds so they can afford tools like this. But, let's say you could make your own... Would you?

I'm pretty sure I could make it work ...and it is the middle if Freaking Winter...

Lower%20Bracket.jpg
[SIZE=36pt]...[/SIZE]
DSC04449.JPG

There's nothing under there that would take the weight of the front of the bike unless you reached the bottom of the triple tree, and that's higher than the plastic. I don't see an attachment point for it.

Here's a stripped down Gen-I to illustrate:

What looks like a piece going across in front of the forks is very lightweight plastic, just a splash shield. The bottom of the cowl is also not structural. You'd need to add something that would accept the stand's hooks or pins or whatever it ended up having.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would lift the wheel so you could pull the brakes or the wheel, but it leaves the forks loaded so it's not much good for anything else. For example, fork work. :rolleyes: Also, the bike can still rock on the centerstand because the forks can compress, so if you're working on the bike rather than the wheel, it can move under you. For the front wheel, though, it's great! Steering head won't move around while the wheel's in the air.

The picture showing the jack under the pipes, is actually only touching the heads of two bolts on either side of the pipes. It works great. It really only takes a couple pounds of pressure to lift the front anyway. when its on the center stand.

I have wondered that exact same thing a while ago. After looking at the brake lines and rubber boot goodie I decided not to look into it any further. The other ways seem easy enough. It would be cool though for an engineer type to make a rig like the Duc Pitbull front end stand.

wfooshee, You are correct. I was thinking I could make a block that would attach to the Pit-Bull and clear the plastic splash guard.

The lifting force would be here:

DSC04449_marked-up.JPG

There are a couple of ways I could locate it so it won't shift around.

But, now I'm wondering about that lower bracket. It looks like the steel center is just press fit into the aluminum cross member. Lifting by it would probably press it right out.

hhhhhmmmmmmmm... The lifting force may need to be exerted around that.

Like this:

DSC04449_marked-up2.JPG

It's tough to tell from the drawings in the Service Manual or Yamaha's On-line Parts Catalog:

Under%20Bracket%20p-n_3P6-23340-00-00.jpg

redtail, I usually add the photos in below the descriptive text. I think it's easier to follow than captions under a photo. I could be wrong.

I remembered this from a while back: <Link>

If a person made one so that the bike was resting on the center stand, the rear of the bike could be pulled down instead of the front being lifted up.

What I mean is that a come-along attached to the rear of the bike and the rear of the dolly could be used to draw down the rear end (lifting the front end). Then, during those long Winter months when the Feej is in various states of disassembly, it could also be moved around in the garage.

A variation of what I'm talking about: <Link>

sidewinder03_animation.GIF

The only problem is where do you store the dolly when you're not using it? And where do you keep the cute chick when she's not moving your bike around? :wub:

Here's a less expensive version of the same thing:

95896.gif

<Link>

I'm assuming it's less expensive because it doesn't include a cute girl to move your bike around. :rolleyes:

I've always used the trusses for the garage ceiling.

Use an additional tiedown from the centerstand to the front of the engine to prevent the centerstand from collapsing.

For simple wheel removal, I have a pitbull fork end lift.

I built the Front End Stand out of steel pipe for a total cost of $50. It's been used several times and has already paid for itself. It is sturdy and out of the way for most maintaince needs. I can change tires and remove the forks. I would however, have to rethink the mounting points if I chose to remove the Triple Tree.

This is the stand that I use on my front wheel. I am not sure of the brand since I got it as a gift from my son. I think it is like the Handy Lift in one of the responses. When I changed my tires, I removed the back wheel first with the bike on the center stand and then used the front lift. It works pretty slick. I assume that if you put the bike on a 2x4 under the center stand both wheels will be off the ground.

Misc371-1.jpg

Misc370-1.jpg

This is the stand that I use on my front wheel. I am not sure of the brand since I got it as a gift from my son. I think it is like the Handy Lift in one of the responses. When I changed my tires, I removed the back wheel first with the bike on the center stand and then used the front lift. It works pretty slick. I assume that if you put the bike on a 2x4 under the center stand both wheels will be off the ground.
Misc371-1.jpg

Misc370-1.jpg

Handy (universal lift $89)