Front Suspension Upgrade Worth It?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patent1

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am happy with the Wilbers rear spring/shock on my '05. The bike now has 20,000 miles, and I plan to replace the (original) front suspension oil this winter. My question is for those who have replaced the progressive front springs with a straight rate spring or maybe the Traxxion Dynamics cartridge: Was it worth it, and would you do it again? My riding style is "somewhat" spirited but not Jeff Ashe nuts. I've ridden the bike on the track at VIR, and thought her handling was fine (The rider was the limiting factor!). So, is the marginal improvement in handling worth the cost? Thanks for your input!

Jim

I resisted upgrading the front end figuring I'd sunk a sizable chunk into the rear shock and had those cheasy Wilber after-market springs...and admittedly I was at 40,000 miles and the front was extremely sloppy. However, when I upgraded the front (in my case the Soqui upgrade via Progressive Suspension)....it just made the bike so much more even and something I should have done at the same time as the rear shock.

The front and rear truly are part and parcel to each other.

[SIZE=14pt]AND............[/SIZE]

As much as I KNOW I will regret this...... :rolleyes:

I am about to launch another Group Buy on suspension hardware, which includes fork rebuilds, and a price that leaves the spendy (though very good) Traxxion cartridges in the dust.

Should launch on Monday.... standby..... this will include all model year FJRs, including the 2007.....

Last edited by a moderator:

I am about to launch another Group Buy on suspension hardware, which includes fork rebuilds, and a price that leaves the spendy (though very good) Traxxion cartridges in the dust.

Should launch on Monday.... standby..... this will include all model year FJRs, including the 2007.....
Isn't there some kind of medication that will prevent this from happening :D

You bastard, I just got my savings account back up! Oh well.....

I know IndianaTom and Paisano recently got their forks done by traxxion, maybe he'll be along to give a report.

big_towlie_jpg.jpg

Oh sure. Christmas is coming and I just paid my property taxes so savins account is in need of HELP and you are going to do this to me! What did ever do to you? Now I have to find that credit card offer!

Just kidding. Keep up the good work Warchild.

Tom

Just before WFO-6 my L. fork seal began to weep. I called the Roseville Yamaha and talked with the Service Mgr., Zac. He quoted me a price and Iasked him about changing the springs while he had the forks apart. He got me a price, so I had them changed to Eibach springs while the forks were disassembled, hoping there'd be a noticable difference.

Holey Moley, this is a different bike! He had the springs sized to account for my..er...uhm...rotundity (240#). With the rebound & compression set back to the middle (rather than nearly maxed out) the ride is a bit "stiffer: than it was, but I can feel exactly where the front is and I know where the tire is. With the stock springs I had the preload on line 1 (only 1 space to the top of the fork), now it is set on the 4th line. No more severe nose dive while braking. Since I removed the forks and delivered them to the shop, when I reassembled the front end, I did not re-install my Super Brace....and I don't need it!

What an amazing difference!

I used the bike to commute 1 week, took a 70 mile ride along the Sacramento River, the next week I packed "heavy" for WFO and left the following Sat. for a 3400 mile vacation ride. Through Norcal, across central Idaho, down through the Sawtooth Mountains, East to Yellowstone, down through the Grand Tetons to Jackson Hole, then follow Cdogman at a "brisk rate" to Park City, UT. Fully loaded bike, riding unfamiliar mountain roads (going and coming) and smiling all the while.

As with Ignacio's comment, this is one of the best improvements I have made to the FJR. This decision is a "swooze" (Nike) moment: Just Do It!

If you can afford to get in on Warchild's group buy....jump on it. You won't believe the change in the character of your FJR.

I upgraded the springs last year - here are two threads on that if you're interested.
undefined

undefined
Many thanks, JimLor! I will admit the front forks intimidate me, and that's why I haven't changed their oil yet. Trouble is, my local Yamaha shop also appears intimidated - the shop guy tried to talk me out of changing the oil. I'd rather try it myself than pay to have him take a shot at it!

Your weight and ride style are considerations.

Some benefits from my work.

One: after market, stiffer, linear springs got me less laiden sag (now close to recommended ideal).

This gave noticebly more lean angle before scrapage. A very good thing.

Two: Balacing the sag for front and back planted the front during agressive riding.

Before the front felt like it wanted to float in "going in too hot" hard turns (esp. 2-up)

Three: '03 had the softest oe front rate. When I grabbed a hand full of panic brake,

It made my neck snap as it dove. My compression was one click off max.

That disappeared with aftermarket springs, and now my clickers are closer to the middle.

New fork oil may of had something to do with this.

Four: Bridge expansion joints are now more jarring than before. After market valves would probably help that.

I just upgraded my springs.

Here is a fabulous link from earlier threads. A must read for anyone about to change their own fork oil.

If it is not in our bin of facts it should be:

fork oils

I chose SPECTRO 10W and am happy.

In short I spent ~$120 on springs and oil and changed the bike in the front, plus $550 for a used Ohlins in the rear.

The result was waaaaay more confidence exactly when I need it most.

If you feel like you need a more confident feel you are a great candidant for suspension work.

If the bottom of your peg is round and pretty, maybe the need is not there. Get familiar with how to adjust what you have.

If you just got an FJR and want to keep up with the Jones, you might consider spending the money on several weekend trips to great locations.

The only person that cares about your suspension is you.

Footnote: I have a superbrace but have never felt the love for it that others have.

New springs and oil made 15 times more difference for me.

Patent1 - change the oil yourself. It's not really difficult and you'll learn more about your bike! I didn't go to the fork oil link, but assume it's the one discussing how viscosities of different manufacturers oils aren't on a relative scale! Meaning that Company XX 10wt may be lighter than company YYs 7wt! Interesting read that adds yet more complexity and decision making to the process.

Kurt - it did make a difference. I did it because my sag measurements at the "Total Control Class" indicated that my springs were weak and no amount of preload (available) was going to change that. Although I was happy enough with the front, I took the opportunity to upgrade - I took the cheapest opportunity and that was replacing the springs and oil. If I recall correctly it was about $125 for the whole show. One always notices the difference in the first few rides (more than a year ago) and over time it becomes the norm, but I can tell you that the nose dive under braking is greatly reduced. Front suspension feels more planted and is clearly "stiffer." I'm used to it now, but I clearly recall it was an improvement.

1 tip - if your state inspection sticker is on your fork tube (VA), you can loosen the pinch bolts and spread them a little so that you don't strip off your sticker when removing/installing the fork tube. I paid for 2 inspections last year!

Good luck.

What's taking so long? Where's my stuff? Who's in charge here? Why this one and not the other? Which is better for midgets with one eye who ride mostly in sand? Which should I get? Why didn't you tell me that? Why? Huh? Huh? Huh?

There, that's all out of the way. Now, throw a tantrum and close the thread. (Saves time this way.)

Bill

Warchild, you're nuts! Haven't you learned your lesson on group buys? You must be trying to secure a comfy place in the afterlife with these good deeds.

My goal with any group buy is to be a low maintenance participant to the organizer. Others should do the same. Bugging the vendor is OK when appropriate.

Good luck and thanks in advance.

Cant Wait!!!! :yahoo:

I have a wilburs purchased on the other group buy. I think it is ready for a rebuild has about 25000 miles on it and the front could realy use some attention.

It would be great if I could do something to get that rear rebuilt.

Great timing Warchild, my 04's suspension is getting tired. Second OEM rear shock has 40,000 miles on it and the forks also need work. Ian, Iowa