Front tire Chock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
I have reached the age where getting my 04 FJR up on the center stand is just too much. Last try resulted in tip over in the garage at home.

So, I am looking for a front wheel chock this is easy to ride into and will hold up the bike. Floor is smooth cement so needs to be resistant to sliding.

I use a Condor chock on my other bike, but it has a low seat that makes the "bump over" with the front tire OK. Not sure how that would work with the FJR.

Many thanks, old age ain't all it is cracked up to be.

Longrider

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, at least you're not riding a lazy-boy!
smile.png

I'm not that far behind you and I am finding it harder to put the bike on the center stand so, at home, I do the rear tire on a 2x6 thing.

Can't really help you with the chock. I have one on my hydraulic lift, but I wouldn't trust it to hold the bike up.

Al.

... old age ain't all it is cracked up to be.
Longrider
Better than the alternative.
(From a 70-year old who can still get it up :) )

[edit] Just looked at your profile. I guess I'm a mere youngster.[/edit]

Hey, at least you're not riding a lazy-boy!
smile.png

I'm not that far behind you and I am finding it harder to put the bike on the center stand so, at home, I do the rear tire on a 2x6 thing.

Can't really help you with the chock. I have one on my hydraulic lift, but I wouldn't trust it to hold the bike up.

Al.
+1 on putting something under the rear wheel, even 1" thick is enough to take the strain out of getting it up!

You'll be shocked at how easy it is to put on the center stand when the back wheel is up on something about 1" thick. The downside is that ya gotta be careful when ya roll it up on yer plywood, and go to get off and put it temporarily on the side stand. Unless there's something under the side stand when ya do so, it could get interesting.

You know, I was wondering if anyone had ever pulled the center stand off and done a little creative cutting/welding. Seems like if the stand's legs were about an inch shorter, it would go up a lot easier. Just my best guess. Also wondering if the toe "tab" was longer, if it would increase the leverage??. Seems like this is doable... and wouldn't require you to use plywood spacers.

Gary

darksider #44

Does anyone know if the 2013 stand will fit previous versions? As Wfooshee said above, "The 2013 is said to be easier......
smile.png
"

www.wheeldock.com

Works very well, but you'll need to drill a couple of concrete anchor bolts into the floor or add some non skid to the bottom of the Wheeldock, unless your floor has enough "grip" to keep it from sliding.

The baxley chock is the way to go it will not slide around I have cement floors also .when I bought mine they were around $250.00 I'm an old person to. I can still do the center stand but it's a struggle.

What does a front wheel chock do that the side stand doesn't?
Good point. For everything but maintenance items, the side stand is the ticket. Why bother with the center-stand at all?

But for your regular oil level checks...

You'll be shocked at how easy it is to put on the center stand when the back wheel is up on something about 1" thick. The downside is that ya gotta be careful when ya roll it up on yer plywood, and go to get off and put it temporarily on the side stand. Unless there's something under the side stand when ya do so, it could get interesting.
You know, I was wondering if anyone had ever pulled the center stand off and done a little creative cutting/welding. Seems like if the stand's legs were about an inch shorter, it would go up a lot easier. Just my best guess. Also wondering if the toe "tab" was longer, if it would increase the leverage??. Seems like this is doable... and wouldn't require you to use plywood spacers.

Gary

darksider #44
Yes. Folks who have lowered their bikes have shortened their centerstands because when you drop the bike from stock height far enough the center-stand becomes impossible (not just difficult) to use without the 2x6" ramp. Here's a link to the pdf file that one forum member generated on his center stand modification.

Along those same lines, as an added benefit to the quicker steering they were looking for, people who have raised their bike's rear end, even just a little get easy center stand deployment. I noticed mine became easier after replacing the stock shock for a Penske. I would imagine that those who swap the dog bones to raise the bike get an even bigger change.

+1 on putting something under the rear wheel, even 1" thick is enough to take the strain out of getting it up!
Plus yet another. I broke my right wrist in '91, and it was a couple of months before I could comfortably centerstand my FJ1200. I found that the 3/4" a 1x4 gave me was enough to make it much easier. The way that lever is designed, the higher the bike gets, the more leverage you get.

I can tell you without a doubt the 2013 is much easier to get up on the center stand. I thought I read somewhere that the gen 3 center stand was made a little different to be easier...I'd also be interested to know if a gen 3 stand is an option on a gen 1/gen 2.

The combination of a 190/55 rear tire and Penske shock make it pretty easy to use the centerstand. It's 90% foot pressure on the stand vs 10% lift.

Seems like the board trick under the rear wheel would work when the side stand won't do.

I had a '79 BMW R100RS many years back that had a Reynolds Ride Off stand. It was so slick; you could put it up on the center stand while sitting on the bike by just pushing it down with your left foot while pulling up on bike's handle mounted on the side of the frame below the seat. When departing, just put it in gear, sit back on the seat a bit, let the clutch out and "Ride Off". Of course it also helped that the RS was 200 lbs. lighter!

The item Matt101 listed seems pretty slick with a low bump over.

I can tell you without a doubt the 2013 is much easier to get up on the center stand. I thought I read somewhere that the gen 3 center stand was made a little different to be easier...I'd also be interested to know if a gen 3 stand is an option on a gen 1/gen 2.
Could be that the 3rd Gen has a longer rear shock. It has been said that it is sprung stiffer, so would tend to sit higher and make it easier to put up on the C-stand.

When departing, just put it in gear, sit back on the seat a bit, let the clutch out and "Ride Off". Of course it also helped that the RS was 200 lbs. lighter!
That and the old airhead BMWs are balanced such that they actually tip back onto the rear wheel touching the ground (front wheel up off the ground, when on those low lift center stands.

Riding off the FJR's center stand, while not impossible, would be a bit tricky at best requiring you to shift the weight back to touch the rear wheel first..