Front tire worn out and rear still got some life. WOW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
First time in my life on any bike I have worn out a front tire before the rear. I have some minor cupping must need a little more pressure...and stop lifting the front tire...I guess the front tire wears out first due to the weight of the bike and pushing through the corners. Is it common for the front s to wear early? PR2s on the way...Cant wait. Love new tires. I got 8400 miles out of the factory Z6s. Id say at least 1-2K left in the rear.

First time in my life on any bike I have worn out a front tire before the rear. I have some minor cupping must need a little more pressure...and stop lifting the front tire...I guess the front tire wears out first due to the weight of the bike and pushing through the corners. Is it common for the front s to wear early? PR2s on the way...Cant wait. Love new tires. I got 8400 miles out of the factory Z6s. Id say at least 1-2K left in the rear.
you really should have put nitrogen in those tires :blink: ...last 100k miles each :rolleyes:

I guess it's the norm. Samething with my 08. Got 7400 miles from the OME. New tires in place and rockin'.

Wore my original set of Z6's out at 6800 miles. Front was toast and the back looked *good*. After careful inspection of the rear tire it was almost on cord. If you search, there are several threads specifically addressing Z6's going from *good* to cord within a couple hundred miles. Be careful with the back tire, looks are deceiving...YMMV

--G

Happened with the stock BT021's on mine... 4000 out of the front, 7500 rear. We'll see how the Roadsmart's do...

I learn something new every day on this forum :)

I've never experienced that, in fact, never even heard of a front wearing out before a rear. Interesting.

you really should have put nitrogen in those tires :blink: ...last 100k miles each :rolleyes:
That the trick, I was wondering LOL

Wore my original set of Z6's out at 6800 miles. Front was toast and the back looked *good*. After careful inspection of the rear tire it was almost on cord. If you search, there are several threads specifically addressing Z6's going from *good* to cord within a couple hundred miles. Be careful with the back tire, looks are deceiving...YMMV
--G
I have owned several sets on other bikes and the rears are not dead yet...

Same here, 11000 on front before replacement. Rear still good at 12600. Check after every ride. Will probably change at 13000 no mater how it looks.

Since Im switching to different tires I may just write off whats left and change them both now....I havent decided yet.

If you enjoy corners, change them both to the same brand and model. It can be unnerving to get different feedback from the front and rear tires when you hanging in a good corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the same thing on my bike I was looking at the rear to gauge wear I looked at the front and said WTF!! where is the groves, I getting PR2 to replace both

With my first set of tires that came with the bike, bridgestone 020, the rear wore out before the front. In fact the front had at least 1K miles left on it but I replace tires as a set. I installed Bridgestone 021 and the front tire wore out before the rear tire. I have now installed a new set of Bridgestone 020.

Mac

I lied one more ride revealed what is now obvious. rear tire toast. Glad it was a short ride

c98f8f23.jpg