Front wheel wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKO

Reaction score
I was surprised by a significant front wheel wobble at about 40 mph the other day. I was decelerating moderately in town and had light pressure on the handgrips when it wagged back and forth about 4 times. Grabbing the grips firmly curred it. It happened again, but this time a little wiggle was all I detected. The front tire is stock, has plenty tread left and is properly inflated.

Any ideas on what could be the culprit and the fix?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I experienced this on my 04 Hayabusa, a bike that had previously been rock solid.

Turned out to be the front tire. Odd wear and incorrect tire pressure + miles caused the problem. New tire, no problem.

Discussed just minutes ago here and often talked about on the board when you enter +head +shake into the search button.

Check the front tire for cupping. I have an Avon to do it now and again. Set the throttle lock on anything from 35 to 45 and when I try and let go and the thing will shake.

Second possible. Have you checked your head bearing torque yet? A perennial report from year-to-year is that they only seemed finger tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '06 shakes also from 1000 miles on. It never got worse or better. I think its the tire,getting new ones next month I've got 6000 miles on them now I'll see.

Guys:

Thanks for the responses.

I checked for the cupping an was amazed at what I found. I am used to getting at least 8k from the front and this Battleax already has sevre cupping. Inflation has been maintained above 25 lbs at all times and usually above 30. There's no way that is normal on a fron tire with less than 3000 miles.

I have not the heasd bearing torque yet, but will when I install the risers. I wonder if that could be the root cause of the cupping?

Guys:
Thanks for the responses.

I checked for the cupping an was amazed at what I found. I am used to getting at least 8k from the front and this Battleax already has sevre cupping. Inflation has been maintained above 25 lbs at all times and usually above 30. There's no way that is normal on a fron tire with less than 3000 miles.

I have not the heasd bearing torque yet, but will when I install the risers. I wonder if that could be the root cause of the cupping?
Whoa! Severely under inflated. You should be up around 40 psi.