Frontend feels light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fz1don

Reaction score
I have spent most of the day trying to find the post about the front end of a gen 1 feeling vague with a Givi top case mounted. I have the same box and feeling and I am trying to find if anybody has found a fix other than changing the box. I am planning on riding to S.D. in August and I really need the space. I think of making some sort of cover to snap around the bottom of the box to the mounting bracket. But if somebody has come up with a proven fix, I would rather go that route.

IIRC, this front end feel /w a top box occured when there was no passenger on the back seat.

I noticed that with a duffel bag (T-Bag Convertable) on the passsenger seat in front of the topbox, I didn't have that squirrelyness ('04 /w OEM Yamaha topbox).

Don,

I found when I tightened/firmed up the Suspension settings, the Top Box was No Longer an issue when riding w/o a passenger.

Hope this helps.

03HiYoSilver hit on what I would suggest. Make sure you've set your pre-load correctly in the front and rear. You will need to set it differently when you have the case on the bike and loaded than you will without the case.

Here is a site which provides a video with an in depth description of pre-load and how/why to set it. The controls which set it are not the same as the bike in the video but the reasons and results are. Your owners manual will tell you where each adjustment is or you can search fjrforums for a post which describes where they are.

https://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/suspension-set-up-on-a-suzuki-gsx-r600/

Your other setting are likely to also need adjustment after setting your pre-load. Search this site for decriptions on how to set them and why each setting might need adjustment (symptoms).

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy! I've noticed that when I travel packed down with camping equipment it doesn't seem to get that feeling or when the other half rides with me.

I'll take a look at the video and see what I can do.

I dunno? I haven't had that problem and I ride solo all of the time.

Of course I never exceed the load recommendations or posted speed limit. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, there was that one time, merging onto the 134 freeway in Pasadena on a downholl ramp while twisting the throttle in 2nd gear......

Seriously, I have also mounted a tailbag on the pillion seat when traveling. There is a definite vortex formed between the pilot and the top case and it will also affect your gas mileage. Besides, it's a handy place to carry a small tool kit, cleaning supplies, extra gloves and rain gear. Keep the heavier stuff in the soft bag on the pillion seat to move the weight ahead of the rear axle and see if that makes a difference.