Frozen Horn Bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The horn on my 2017 FJR-1300ES crapped out, so I'm replacing it with a pair of PIAA horns.

Of course, that assumes I can remove the existing horn :).

The bolt holding the existing horn is frozen tight. So tight the 4mm hex tip wrench I'm using to try and remove it is twisting in my hands, to the point I'm starting to worry it'll snap :). Okay, that probably won't happen -- it is steel, after all, and I'm an old guy.

I've read elsewhere about strategies to remove frozen bolts. WD-40 didn't work. Hitting it with a hammer didn't work. The next recommended step is to heat it with a torch and then shock it with cold water...which I'm a little leery about doing given all the plastic nearby, not to mention the proximity of the radiator.

Are there other things I could try before going flame on?

Also, this all assumes the bolt is capable of being removed. It sure looks like it is...but maybe it's not?

- Mark

Either get some Kroil, or mix up some 50/50 ATF and Acetone. Those are the best fluids for loosening fasteners.

You could also spot heat the screw with a soldering iron if you have one.

The other option is to drill it out.

Inductive heater ("Bolt Buster", etc.). A coil of wire surrounds the frozen fastener and heats the fastener alone to near-red hot temps without exposing nearby objects to a flame.

Apply your favourite magic elixir, heat inductively, apply more elixir. The heat will help wick the oil into the joint and the hot/cold cycle will help shock the fastener.

I've had this one for 3 or 4 years now, with no complaints:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XNZV1RP

(NOTE: it will shut itself down for a while if you overdo it. I think the internals can overheat despite the cooling fan. More of an issue doing a series of large diameter bolts though. EG swapping out a car suspension, etc.)