FRS Radios in Italy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbanker

Reaction score
Are FRS two-way radios legal in Italy? I know this is off topic, but I though one of my FJR European brothers would know the answer.

Here’s the issue. The family is headed to Italy in two weeks for vacation. Since we’ll have two rental cars (sadly, no bike!), I though the easiest way to communicate between vehicles is via inexpensive FRS radios.

Thanks

Jim

Yes, they will work because they aren't dependant on any type of radio tower or repeater. They are simply a more modern walkie-talkie and are radio to radio.

I have no idea if they are legal. I wouldn't take one into an airport or near any type of secure facility, but, that's just me. :)

https://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearg...7/20060728.html

July 28, 2006outdoor gear question

Can I use a U.S.-bought two-way radio in Italy?

Q. Is it legal to use U.S.-bought family/general mobile radios in Italy for staying in touch with people from our party? Do I need a special Italian license? If so, how do I get one?

— Howard

Phoenix, Arizona

A: The short answer is: No, it’s not legal to use a U.S.-purchased FRS (Family Radio Service) or GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) in Europe. That’s because European nations have allocated their radio frequencies in a way that’s different from the United States. For instance, the radio bands used by FRS here are used by emergency services workers in England. Similar conflicts can be found elsewhere on the European continent.

Europe does have its own radio system that’s analogous to our FRS and GMRS. It’s called the PMR system, for personal mobile radio. PMR446 is the full designation. It’s similar to our FRS system in that no license is required. And it’s legal across most of Europe, including Italy.

One option is to simply purchase a pair or more of those radios when you get to Europe. The cost is about 30 Euros ($60) for a pair from manufacturers such as Cobra (www.cobra.com).

Like FRS, PMR446 is designed to have a maximum range of about two miles. That’s line-of-sight, under ideal conditions. Actual range is apt to be much, much less. If one member of your party is on one side of the Duomo in Florence, and you’re on the other, you might not to be able to communicate because the structure will simply block the transmission. So I’m not sure how practical they’d be.

Alternatively, check with your wireless phone carrier to see what it costs to get phones that would work in Europe. All wireless phones in Europe use the same GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) frequencies. Here in the U.S., some phones also use GSM, but they’re still not compatible. So you’ll need a so-called “unlocked” wireless phone, and a SIM card (subscriber identity module) compatible with European systems. You can buy a “quad-band” phone that works both here and there. Motorola (www.motorola.com) has a good selection of quad-band phones, but what you pay can range from nothing to a couple hundred bucks depending on contracts, etc.

The advantage of a wireless phone is that you have unlimited range. You’re in Sienna, your wife is in Rome (how that happened, you’ll have to explain later), and you can get in touch.

Actually, there are 2 systems that are legal in EU.

PMR (Personal Mobile Radio), already mention above, and LPD (Low Power Device). LDP has better sound quality, but less powerful transmitters and thus less range. LDP has a range of 2-3km, PMR has a range of 4-6km