Frustrating day for suspension upgrade!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beacher

Reaction score
Last Thursday was the date for a much anticipated suspension upgrade (fork rebuild & Penske shock) with KFG Racing, and I rolled over at 6 a.m, to find a beautiful blue sky and 42• F temps, which is unusual for Tacoma, at this time of year. So at about 9, I uncovered the bike, stuck the key in the ignition and hit the starter button. . . un-ruh. . .un-ruh. . .click, click, click. Oh no; dead battery! Called KFG and left a message, since they weren't open yet, telling them I wouldn't be able to make it, and sent them an email to make sure they got the message. I then called AAA, since I've belonged to them for almost 15 years, and was informed, "Oh, no. . . We can't help you, because you need the 'RV package' ($125/yr. rather than the $55 I was paying!) for that!" I responded that this is not an RV, but my main mode of transportation, and she basically said, "Tough luck!" Another bummer, and BTW, this would have been the first time I needed their service. So, I got a couple of friends to push start me, and off to the dealer for a new battery. Got home and found an email from April, at KFG, saying, "Hey, we can come and pick up the bike and change out the battery when we do the suspension upgrade!" ARRRRRGGG! Ah well, a couple of more weeks to wait, but I appreciated the offer. I got on the web, and added a towing package to my GEICO insurance package for $10 a year! Needless to say, I'm going to be dropping my AAA coverage, since I do have towing insurance on my car. Just wanted to let you guys know, in case you didn't, that your AAA is no good for your bike, unless you have the RV package. . .

I dropped AAA a long time ago.

Good Sam has unlimited tow for everyone in my family, bikes, rv, boat trailer, and cars.

- Youse got to aske questions. I thought it was 'common knowledge' that you needed the AAA RV upgrade to two motorcycles.

- Not sure why you didn't push start the bike to begin with and ride to KFG?

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.........

I have AAA with the RV coverage. It will cover my truck , bike and truck with snowmobile trailer behind it too. Even if you are in a group, you can claim your riding your buddies bike if he breaks down and they will tow it too. Not that I would do that though. :)

Joining AMA and putting your membership on automatic renewal gives you coverage on almost everything you, your spouse or your kids in school drive. The membership is around $40 a year, and I have already used it about 4 times in 4 years, so I am virtually making money and supporting the AMA. No brainer.

I also have the AAA with RV as well as 100 mile tow. It's saved me a few times.

Didn't used to need any extra coverage, but then they threw your bike on whatever they brought and sometimes did more damage than any accident caused! Now they ask if it's a bike and send a flat bed with a guy prepared to strap down your ride.

My experience is that repair shops are very glad to hear AAA is your insurance.

I also have the AAA with RV as well as 100 mile tow. It's saved me a few times.
Didn't used to need any extra coverage, but then they threw your bike on whatever they brought and sometimes did more damage than any accident caused! Now they ask if it's a bike and send a flat bed with a guy prepared to strap down your ride.

My experience is that repair shops are very glad to hear AAA is your insurance.
What about AAA do the repair shops like?

Well, Scooter, I'm not sure I understand what you said about "two motorcycles", 'cause I only gots one, but it just never occurred to me to ask if my bike was covered. Now, however, with GEICO for only $10/yr, I'm pretty comfy without AAA. Does piss me off that I have stupidly added $750 (approx) to their coffers, and the first time I need them. . . Ah well, water under the bridge!

Tough luck on the dead battery, but I agree with Skooty...I would've push started it and ridden it to KFG and worried about the battery later. ;)

AAA's RV coverage....I canceled AAA a few years ago thank's to the relatively extreme cost of that addition. IIRC, it was well over $100 year; AMA made more sense in that regard (my Progressive insurance covers too).

+1 on the AMA membership. $ 39.9 5/yr and if you set it up with Auto Renewal you get the Roadside Assistance which covers not only your bike but your other vehicles as well.