• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Fs: Garmin Zumo 550 Gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmo75

Reaction score
Alas, this guy has served me well over the years but it's time to move on to a newer unit...

I have a cared for Garmin Zumo 550 GPS for sale that I bought new a few years back. Included in the kit:

• Zumo 550 GPS with protective zipper case
  • Auto mount with suction cup and cigarette power plug
  • Motorcycle mount with power wire to a SAE plug and RAM ball mount
  • Motorcycle mount security screw screwdriver
  • AC power adapter & USB cable
Unfortunately, I managed to lose the City Navigator NT DVD that came with the kit. However, that software is way obsolete. The 550 can be managed with Garmin's Basecamp software (free download) and the map can be upgraded online (for a fee though).

Speaking of maps, I actually purchased lifetime map updates for it. It's not going to help you (since it won't transfer due to Garmin licensing), but I did update the maps to the current available map set (2013.3). That should keep it current for a while in case you don't feel like buying updates. I also purchased 4 MadMaps packages that contain over 40 routes in states like IL, MO, KY, TN, AR, WI, MI, OH, WV, & IN. I think those were $12 each, so a $48 value there.

I also have a 4GB memory card installed. That allows for the entire North America set to be loaded and MP3 storage. Internal storage will only hold about 1/4 of the US. Heck, I'll even leave my music on there. Hope you enjoy bands like Rush, The Who, Zeppelin, Creedence, etc...

The price is $400. I would like payment through PayPal. That includes shipping to CONUS. Others without all the stuff here have gone for more... Feel free to PM with more questions.

IMG_2101Small.jpg

IMG_2098Small.jpg

IMG_2099Small.jpg

Don't want to rain on your For Sale parade, but the zumo 550 is still the best MC specific GPS available, IMO. I had a zumo 660 and sold it so I could buy a second 550. Here is my rundown on the two in an earlier post (before I ditched the 660)

You might want to reconsider your options. But if you are really serious about selling it, your price is damn good.
Someone will get a rockin' good deal here. GLWTS

Man, I was worried I'd get one of these posts...
santasmiley.png

To be honest, I've struggled mightily with this decision. Fred, you did I nice write-up. I didn't know about the 66x's not have the detail of the 550's. Bummer.

The biggest reason for the 66x for me is the A2DP bluetooth. You see, I'm a music junky. I used to never listen to music while riding, but once I started I was hooked. On top of that, I live in central IL, and one must ride for hours on flat, straight roads to get anywhere exciting, so listening to music helps pass the time. Plus, nothing much compares to cranking "Red Barchetta" on your favorite twisty.
scooter.gif

I've tried A2DP "dongles" that connect to the headphone jack with some success, but it would be nice to have all that integrated into the unit itself. Otherwise, it's just another thing to have to worry about powering off/charging/etc. I also don't feel the need to invest in a Comm system. Although I'm beginning to wonder if the other benefits of the 550 outweigh the issues with the 66x. I don't need XM/traffic/weather, so I'd be looking at a 660... Man you are making me rethink this!
unsure.png

Anyone else have a thought?

Guys - I hope there are no hard feeeling here... But after sleeping on it, I've decided to keep the 550. I received some feedback on this and other forums to the point that the 550 may still be the best motorocycle GPS out there. Thanks to those that helped to set me straight.

I'll update the listing.

Happy holidays all.

I think Griff is seriously thinking of this...

Right Griff???

biggrin.png
Too late for me. whew Thanks Desmo for changing your mind!! Just spent enough on a big ass air compressor for the motorcycle lift I am looking at.

Just ONE of the things I like about this place..

Guy posts up.

Gets feedback.

Changes mind.

No hard feelings.

Perfect.

Is the Zumo 220 similar to Zumo 550? I understand that there is a difference in physical appearance, but I think it has the same software/menu.

Last edited by a moderator: