Fuel Cell Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMdcporter

Reaction score
Gang,

I hope I'm posting in the right location. Here are a couple of pictures of the fuel cell mount I built that I promised to post a picture. The originally post was in the Wanted sub-section. The post morphed from a want ad for a tank to a building a mount. I still need to clean it up and I want to add a back and front cover so I can store stuff below the tank. Right now it looks a little rough but I think you can get the general idea.

I'm not going to do anything else untill WC looks at the photo's I sent him. It's a want to make sure it's right before grinding, painting and building covers. The mount is for the JAZ 4 gallon tank. Only thing I hate is the fuel line attaches on the front instead of the bottom of the tank, so I had to turn the tank around to make clearance for the valve (it would have hit me in the back). Just a little info, I spent a total of 2.5 hours building (to this point), and total cost was $10.00 to build including metal and wielding. I was lucky, I have a friend that likes to do things like this so he came over and help me cut the metal and hold my beer while I wielded :rolleyes: All the metal was scrap, I went to a fab shop and they gave me the metal I needed since I really didn't need much (cool guys). I figure I have about 1.5 hours of fab left, 1 hour of grinding, then about 30 minutes sandblasting to prep for painting.

If someone has suggestions bring them on, I still have time to make a couple of changes. I still have to drill the tank (not sure if I really want to do that, might farm it out) and run the fuel line.

I hope to have it ready to go in January to start testing.

RWYB066.jpg

RWYB073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. Any idea how much the mount weighs, it looks very sturdy. I am thinking along the same lines but not as high.

Keep the updates coming.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure exact weight but I'm pretty sure it's in the 10-15 lbs. I also got feedback it looks a little high and I agree so I'm going to lower it about 1.5-2 inches. Right now it's about 5.5-6 inches tall, I'm thinking of lowering it to about 3.5-4" this weekend and see if that will let me turn the tank around.

They changed the tank outlet location from earlier models, it used to be on the bottom but now it is on the front, so it faces your back. That's why I turned it around for clearance, but by lowering it I might be able to have enough room to turn it back around so the slant is on the back and the top case should open better.

Dave

When I did my rack, the sump on the cell let me lower the tank so that the fuel line exited to the rear under the cowling. I made it out of steel and used the seat latch mechanism as a holdown. Showed it to WC who wanted it to be either bolted or strapped down. When I got to looking at the mods, I started over with wood.

Looks like you'll have a lot of good storage, can the fuel line attach to a 90 degree fitting?

NMdcporter, Have you thought about relocating the fitting that's causing you grief? After removing the fitting, I'm sure there are several ways you could safely plug the hole, drill a new hole in and reinstall the the original fitting in a better location.

Well I decide to cut the mount down by 2 inches and I think it loks better but I still cannot swing the tank around due to the fitting location. I really don't want to relocate the fitting. I also set the tank on the rear rack and I thought that looked ok too. I know I could get a box to go on the back seat so now I need help deciding gang.

Please looking for feedback on location now.

RWYB084.jpg

RWYB083.jpg

Really cannot move it back because I do not want to cut out rail.

RWYB080.jpg

RWYB078.jpg

Come on gang send the feedback.

Thanks,

Dave

Your design constraints won't allow the positioning that you want.

You either need to lose the grab rail or flip the tank to clear the grab rail.

IronMaiden showed you one option. <Link>

Modifying the tank is probably not an option for you. It could certainly be done, but you need to know how to work with polyethylene.

Much better then the original taller mount..... the weight of a full cell way up high on the first iteration was a bit worrisome, but this lower height should still yield a decent flow rate.

Still looks like it could be a pinch close to your lower back, but it's kinda hard to tell from these photos.

Nice job overall!

Much better then the original taller mount..... the weight of a full cell way up high on the first iteration was a bit worrisome, but this lower height should still yield a decent flow rate.
Still looks like it could be a pinch close to your lower back, but it's kinda hard to tell from these photos.

Nice job overall!
WC thx for feedback, I'm built so low to the ground that I really have a good 1.5-2 inches of space in my normal riding position. I have about 1/2 - 1 inch of space I can move the tank back, I'm planning to slide it back as far as I can so I will have to cut the sides a little to miss the grab rail.

I'm planning to complete the cutting and wielding this weekend, then start working on the tank.

Dave

I just received my cell, very happy with the size. Any updates with your mods to the mount?
Canadian FJR
I just completed the first coat of paint (black) for the mount and have all the plumbing for the tank. I'm going to have an elbow welded to the bottom of the tank. I went to a custom bike shop in my town and they really wanted me to go with the welded. I was having them drill my tank, so I'm going to let them weld the elbow on for me.

Everything is coming together and should have the tank on the FJR about 2 week after the New Year.