Fuel Economy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this recently concerning my 07 (ECU recall completed):

"My experience from a just completed 3200 mile trip:

1. MPG figures from approx 1200 miles riding in a geographic location where altitude averaged 5000-7000 ft resulted in an average of 51-53 mpg. This included many twisties and straight line interstate travel at about 10% above posted speed zone.

2. MPG figures from approx 2000 miles riding in a geographic location near sea level resulted in an average of 45-47 mpg. Again this included many twisties and interstate travel at same speeds.

These mpg figures represent a fully loaded bike with single rider, topcase, tankbag, and aftermarket large windscreen (no PCIII installed). These mpg figures are almost identical to what I received from my old ST1100 and much better than my VStrom DL1000, under same conditions."

What is interesting is that this trip was to attend the annual ST Owners Western Rally (WeSTOC) that I have been attending since my original ownership of the ST1100. An excellent group of folks. This trip was especially notable in that more than a few ST1300 owners cornered me with serious questions concerning fuel mileage, horsepower, bike weight, and price. The concensus from those discussions confirmed that the ST usually got several miles less per gallon than what I had experienced. Many of the riders were very vocal discussing the FJR advantage of greater horsepower, less weight, and better bang for the buck than the ST, especially when it came to the standard ABS on the FJR. Also noted was that I was only one of more than a few FJRs in attendance.

I have to give the ST1300 its due however. It is an excellent machine that sits closer to the touring side than the FJR. It is great we have a choice.

I got 51 one time comming from Bridgeport( east side of the sierras) through yosemite to my house 60 mi south of Fresno.

If I am riding with a group I get low to mid 50's.
You need to find some new riding buddies! When I ride with a group I usually get about 30mpg. :D

JW
Haha...Jerk :) By "group", I meant like during all these toy runs and other stuff we seem to get involved with around here. I am the only FJR in the group I normally ride with, but I will take off and meet them up the road. These guys are mostly cruisers one semi-experienced girl on a V-Rod, and one inexperienced girl on a CBRR 600. I have another group of friends that ride Gixxers and liter bikes. Those days are hard on the gas mileage. The rest of the time it is just me, but I kind of like it that way.

In my quest for an FJR yesterday I stopped into a local “Powerhouse” Honda dealership to give my wife an opportunity to sit on a Honda ST1300. I also wanted to see what the salesman had to say about a comparison between the FJR and the ST. He told me about his loyalty to Honda brand and about Honda quality but he didn't really have anything to offer as far as a comparison. One thing that he did offer which none of the other dealers have offered it to schedule a ride on one. My impression after sitting on one and looking at the specs is that it is more toward the Goldwing end of the spectrum than the sport bike end.
One thing that I couldn't get a straight answer on is the fuel economy. Since this FJR will be replacing my 919 I was wondering what I could expect for mpg? I have a 30 mile commute, half interstate where I can usually go between 75 and 80 and half country roads where I can maintain 50 to60.
So far, consistant high 40's to low 50's. 07 AE