Fuel gauge questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. It now makes sense to me. When the up counter started and ran to 30, I filled the tank with 20 liters, meaning 5 liters were left. If I ride conservatively I should be able to hit 100 km on this 5 liters on the highway. This info is useful. BTW I re-read the owner's manual and as others stated it is mentioned in there, however the clarity on this forum is far more useful to me. Thanks again.

Once you learn the remaining fuel volume on your bike when you start count-up, just reset the average mpg meter to measure consumption from that point forward. If your bike has a gallon and a half at "reserve" and the mpg meter is telling you that you are getting 45 mpg, you should be OK for just over 65 miles.
This doesn't apply to anyone with a PC III installed because the FJR computer calculates mileage based on how much fuel it is telling the injectors to dispense, but the PC III is intercepting that signal and telling the injector to add more fuel. The average fuel mileage reading is useless for Power Commander users. You already know this, RossKeen, but posting for the benefit of others. ;)

Once you learn the remaining fuel volume on your bike when you start count-up, just reset the average mpg meter to measure consumption from that point forward. If your bike has a gallon and a half at "reserve" and the mpg meter is telling you that you are getting 45 mpg, you should be OK for just over 65 miles.
This doesn't apply to anyone with a PC III installed because the FJR computer calculates mileage based on how much fuel it is telling the injectors to dispense, but the PC III is intercepting that signal and telling the injector to add more fuel. The average fuel mileage reading is useless for Power Commander users. You already know this, RossKeen, but posting for the benefit of others.
wink.png
Good reminder on the Power Commander - I used to have one. The 50 mpg you THINK you are getting may turn out to be 40 mpg! OOPS!

Unless I am running greater than 120 km/hr (75 mph), or very windy conditions or I'm stuck in stop-and-go traffic, I'm pretty comfortable with 90-100 km (60 miles) on count-up (on my bike). Typically 5-6 litres remaining at first flash.

Mortenk posted: <snip> It doesn't matter how you ride the bike prior to the flashing symbol, and you don't have to remember how many miles you had ridden since it started flashing. As long as I ride in a consistent manner while the count-up is active (e.g. typical commuting), I know exactly how far I can go...
... and how far is that? "How far can you go once the count-up starts?" has been a long-discussed question around here.

Not saying I will go farther than you 'on reserve'; not saying I'll run out of fuel quicker; and CERTAINLY not trying to pick a fight. Just curious as to how far you can go after the count-up happens.

For me, there's no consistency, so that's why I quit using the count-up. I reset the display and continue using 'miles to empty'.
I have found the count-up to be very consistent - except if you park the bike on the side stand of course...but as someone else mentioned, it will straighten itself out after a few miles. I am comfortable driving at least 60 miles on the count-up. My miles-to-empty on the other hand blanks out way before that, so it is truly useless on my bike.

I think they have such a large "reserve" (when the F-Stop count up starts) because this bike may be in the middle of God Forsaken No-Where-ville with a station not just around the corner. Regardless, it can all be planned for.