Fuel guage calibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarnut

Reaction score
Anybody calibrated their fuel gauge? When my last bar is blinking the tank will take just a shade over 5 gallons. Which means I've still got roughly 1.5 gallons remaining and I just don't like guessing how much further I've got. So... I'm thinking is it possible to gently bend the float arm so it more accurately show when the tank is actually getting to fumes? Was going to drain the tank and put in 1 gal and use that as my yardstick.

Dude...Just about all these bikes do that. Some more, some less. Just figure that if you have 1.5 gallons of fuel left and are getting 40mpg, you have about 60 miles when that thing starts blinking to find fuel. Way easier than taking the entire thing apart and bending delicate parts.

However, I think I remember someone saying the other day that adjusting the fuel guage can be done they way you are thinking. A lot of hit an miss, so be prepared to take it apart a few times. Either that, or just say screw it and go ride.

How is bending the float calibrating anything? It might be adjusting, but it ain't calibrating.

And what will it tell you? A different sized guess from what you had before. It's still a guess.

After a while, when it starts blinking and it takes 5 gallons next time you go to the pump, you'll probably pick up on the trend, maybe even count on there being a gallon and a half left.

Best tool for fuel estimation is the tripmeter. Zero it every time you fill up, See how far you got with how much gas. After a while you get another trend. You go about yay far every time you put in 5 gallons or so. If you divide the miles travelled by how many gallons . . . . well, sorry for the advanced math, so use the word "per" instead of "divide by." If 5 gallons gets you 225 miles every time, then you get 45 miles per gallon.

That's how they figure stuff like that. Actual arithmetic.

Another cool thing you can do now is say, OK, I know how far I can get with a gallon of gas. If only . . . . . Geez, how many gallons are there????

Well, you know there's at least 5. You keep putting 5 in when it starts flashing. There is anecdotal evidence on this forum of people actually going past 6 gallons, and the motor's still running. Let's use 6.

Um, 6 gallons, at 45 miles to each one, that's . . . . . * * * finds old schoolbook with printed times tables * * * . . . 270 miles!

Remember that tripmeter thing? If it was zero when you filled up, then 270 shouldn't be too hard to notice.

I hope it wasn't too complicated. But really, once you get this all figgered out, you can actually apply it to any gasoline or diesel powered vehicle you operate! It's the same, no matter how many wheels, or how many people! Amazing! Best thing is, it doesn't matter any more if the gas gauge even works at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
How is bending the float calibrating anything? It might be adjusting, but it ain't calibrating.

And what will it tell you? A different sized guess from what you had before. It's still a guess.

After a while, when it starts blinking and it takes 5 gallons next time you go to the pump, you'll probably pick up on the trend, maybe even count on there being a gallon and a half left.

Best tool for fuel estimation is the tripmeter. Zero it every time you fill up, See how far you got with how much gas. After a while you get another trend. You go about yay far every time you put in 5 gallons or so. If you divide the miles travelled by how many gallons . . . . well, sorry for the advanced math, so use the word "per" instead of "divide by." If 5 gallons gets you 225 miles every time, then you get 45 miles per gallon.

That's how they figure stuff like that. Actual arithmetic.

Another cool thing you can do now is say, OK, I know how far I can get with a gallon of gas. If only . . . . . Geez, how many gallons are there????

Well, you know there's at least 5. You keep putting 5 in when it starts flashing. There is anecdotal evidence on this forum of people actually going past 6 gallons, and the motor's still running. Let's use 6.

Um, 6 gallons, at 45 miles to each one, that's . . . . . * * * finds old schoolbook with printed times tables * * * . . . 270 miles!

Remember that tripmeter thing? If it was zero when you filled up, then 270 shouldn't be too hard to notice.

I hope it wasn't too complicated. But really, once you get this all figgered out, you can actually apply it to any gasoline or diesel powered vehicle you operate! It's the same, no matter how many wheels, or how many people! Amazing! Best thing is, it doesn't matter any more if the gas gauge even works at all!
Thanks so much, very helpful reply. Never would have thought to use math without your help. Would you mind repeating that please, didn't quite get the first time.

That was fairly caustic, all in all. What up with that W? The bike does say empty way too soon and it would be cool if someone figured it out. In the meantime, we all just keep doing what we do to compensate.

It was better than a "what is your favorite pet" post.

Doberman of course.

My problem with the fuel gauge was at the opposite end, I could never get the thing to read full. I'm the one who posted about it several years ago and had the fuel pump out of the tank, gently bending the float arm, six times. It's not that it was that important, it just became a cause celebre with me.

The first time you pull the fuel pump out of the tank, be prepared to spend some time peering at it and figuring out how the bends in the arm affect the movement. I got it wrong a few times and that's why I had the pump assembly out and in so many times. Also, be gentle pulling the pump out. It requires a little finesse and you can do some damage if you're not careful. You can, however, get it to be pretty accurate. An unintended consequence of my effort was that the reserve blink on my bike now starts with a gallon left in the tank. It used to start with 1.6 gallons left.

Wish I could tell you exactly how to bend the arm. But, it's been four years and I really can't remember. As you study it and experiment, cause and effect do become apparent.

Good luck with it.

Dan

Anybody calibrated their fuel gauge? When my last bar is blinking the tank will take just a shade over 5 gallons. Which means I've still got roughly 1.5 gallons remaining and I just don't like guessing how much further I've got. So... I'm thinking is it possible to gently bend the float arm so it more accurately show when the tank is actually getting to fumes? Was going to drain the tank and put in 1 gal and use that as my yardstick.
The "Count UP odo" after the blinking starts is a great thing! Go for a ride with a half gallon can of gas strapped to your back seat. Run until empty and then you will KNOW how much distance you have on reserve. While I have found that the gas gauge is very repeatable (if not particularly "accurate"), my filling technique is not. It seems to depend upon how intent I am to get all the air burped out. I would not like to assume that there was 1.5 gallons left just because I added 5 gallons at the next fill. Check YOUR bike for blinking reserve capacity (miles, not gallons) if you like to run things down to fumes.

Ross

I take solace in knowing I have a gallon and a half when the fuel gauge starts blinking; I know how far I can go (if need be, yes by extrapolating by arithmetic, it's not math), I can make my refuel my choice not the first station that appears and I know there's enough fuel to help keep the fuel pump cooler (than if running on fumes and it's pumping its heart out).

While I may have been a bit over the top on the sarcasm scale, I did answer the question.

You can't "calibrate" the fuel gauge, but you can "adjust" it, but what do you gain? A different starting point for your guess of remaining fuel and range.

This is no different then looking at the gauge in your car and wondering how far under the actual 'E' line it will go.

These are not precision instruments. It's an indicator of generally, "Hey, you've got plenty of gas," or "Hey, start looking for a station."

Gathering experience and learning how much it takes after the flashing starts is the calibration.

There have been enough of these "How far can I go when the flashing starts?" threads that it ought to have been NEPRT'd by now.

As for the OP's question, he says it takes 5 gallons when it starts flashing, meaning he's got a gallon and a half left. He knows how far the 5 took him. Why is the 1.5 range a guess?

Official Yamaha specifications:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 6.61 gallons

Fuel Reserve: 1.45 gallons

If you do the math, 6.61 - 1.45 = 5.16 gallons.

So, if your tank takes ~5 gallons of fuel after the "reserve" bar starts flashing, then your gauge *is* properly calibrated (according to Yamaha specs).

Official Yamaha specifications:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 6.61 gallons

Fuel Reserve: 1.45 gallons

If you do the math, 6.61 - 1.45 = 5.16 gallons.

So, if your tank takes ~5 gallons of fuel after the "reserve" bar starts flashing, then your gauge *is* properly calibrated (according to Yamaha specs).

Maybe so, but I would like to have a more accurate idea of how much range I've got left instead of having to watch a blinking bar for 40-60 miles.

The "Count UP odo" after the blinking starts is a great thing! Go for a ride with a half gallon can of gas strapped to your back seat. Run until empty and then you will KNOW how much distance you have on reserve. While I have found that the gas gauge is very repeatable (if not particularly "accurate"), my filling technique is not. It seems to depend upon how intent I am to get all the air burped out. I would not like to assume that there was 1.5 gallons left just because I added 5 gallons at the next fill. Check YOUR bike for blinking reserve capacity (miles, not gallons) if you like to run things down to fumes.

Ross
You got it, Ross. This is it... read your owner's manual and it will tell you how much is supposed to be left. The Canadian and European manuals will say 5 litres remaining when it begins to flash. In my case, I run out in 100 kms. or 62 miles counted on that count up odometer.

This is what I do to monitor how much farther I can go when it starts blinking... I zero out the average MPG readout. Since my tank fills up at just under 5 gallons at 180 miles (at my commute pace) I know I have about a gallon and a half to go before pushing. Comparing the Average MPG to the mileage count up from blinking gives me a pretty accurate guestimate.

Knock on wood, I haven't found the bottom of the tank - yet.

tongue.gif

Brodie

You got it, Ross. This is it... read your owner's manual and it will tell you how much is supposed to be left. The Canadian and European manuals will say 5 litres remaining when it begins to flash. In my case, I run out in 100 kms. or 62 miles counted on that count up odometer.
Or in my case, exactly 50 miles. Not used to how FI just quits... at least carbs gave you 30 seconds or so of warning. But I'll give that up for never having to clean a carburetor ever again!

If you guys ever get this figured out, I'd love to see the magic answer. Imagine being able to know exactly how far you can go until the tank runs out. Wow. Then I'd be able to avoid gas stations until the last minute. Let's see if I've got the math right: if I extended my time between fill-ups by 50 miles, I could save one trip to the gas station for every four times I filled up. That means I'd only have to go to the gas station 80% as often as I do now. Now here's the really important queston: does this mean that I can save money on gas???

Gary

If you guys ever get this figured out, I'd love to see the magic answer. Imagine being able to know exactly how far you can go until the tank runs out. Wow. Then I'd be able to avoid gas stations until the last minute. Let's see if I've got the math right: if I extended my time between fill-ups by 50 miles, I could save one trip to the gas station for every four times I filled up. That means I'd only have to go to the gas station 80% as often as I do now. Now here's the really important queston: does this mean that I can save money on gas???

Gary
Haha...Is that sarcasm I detect?

The issue is, there is no magic answer. It is what it is, and Fooshee is totally correct. Doing the math in our heads shouldnt be that hard, but lately, there's lots of people looking for things to fix.

It doesn't matter if the stupid gage is "calibrated" to give the same reading at some other level or not. The distance left in the tank depends on elevation, weight, wind, riding conditions and everything else that affects mileage. Someone already said it, but its a good estimate at best.

How's about we stop stressing all this little BS and go ride our bikes.

Ok, maybe the OP should have phrased his question more like this: "My fuel light consistently starts to blink when I have 1.5 gallons left in the tank and I'd really like it to happen at (x) amount instead. How do I make that happen?"

Seems like a pretty straight forward request to me, whatever his reason is.

Personally, I don't mind doing the arithmetic, but the 1.5 gallons always kinda annoyed me too. Why not something closer to empty? Of course I'm too lazy to do anything about it, so I rely on my trip meter and the count-up meter. Not a big deal either way, but I can relate with what the OP is getting at and admire his desire to make it exactly what he wants.

The simple answer seems to be, pull the float and bend the arm...along with much trial and error. Good luck sir, let us know how it goes.