Fuel guage calibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, maybe the OP should have phrased his question more like this: "My fuel light consistently starts to blink when I have 1.5 gallons left in the tank and I'd really like it to happen at (x) amount instead. How do I make that happen?"

Seems like a pretty straight forward request to me, whatever his reason is.

Personally, I don't mind doing the arithmetic, but the 1.5 gallons always kinda annoyed me too. Why not something closer to empty? Of course I'm too lazy to do anything about it, so I rely on my trip meter and the count-up meter. Not a big deal either way, but I can relate with what the OP is getting at and admire his desire to make it exactly what he wants.

The simple answer seems to be, pull the float and bend the arm...along with much trial and error. Good luck sir, let us know how it goes.
Come guys, lighten up just a little, geez. :rolleyes: :p

Phil got it in a nutshell, thank you. I'd simply like to have the gauge tell me when I'm closer to empty, that's all. This is a discussion forum isn't it? I've got 45 years riding experience and yes I can do math and ride at the same time, but, since I've got this nice little fuel gauge that Yamaha gave me, why not have it be a little more useful. I like working on my bike so just wanted to talk about this. For those who care, I'm going to play with the float a little, take a few pics and see what happens.

Keep us informed. It might tickle my memory a little and I'll be able to provide some helpful information.

Dan

I'm going off memory here, and it's to hot to go out to the shop and dig up my owner's manual, but I'm positive it states that you should find a fuel station immediately when the last bar starts flashing... I'm so sure of this that I've ALWAYS assumed I need to get gas and head to the station within 10 miles and ALWAYS fill it to about 4.8 gallons... And it DOES annoy me that the documentation didn't say "You have a 1.5 gallon RESERVE".

For the record, today I did a search on this topic because it's been bugging me... Kinda find it funny that it's caused so many chapped asses... Some of us just recently became a part of the FJR community... sheesh...

Mike

I take solace in knowing I have a gallon and a half when the fuel gauge starts blinking; I know how far I can go (if need be, yes by extrapolating by arithmetic, it's not math), I can make my refuel my choice not the first station that appears and I know there's enough fuel to help keep the fuel pump cooler (than if running on fumes and it's pumping its heart out).
I'll ditto this reply :)

How is bending the float calibrating anything? It might be adjusting, but it ain't calibrating.

And what will it tell you? A different sized guess from what you had before. It's still a guess.

After a while, when it starts blinking and it takes 5 gallons next time you go to the pump, you'll probably pick up on the trend, maybe even count on there being a gallon and a half left.

Best tool for fuel estimation is the tripmeter. Zero it every time you fill up, See how far you got with how much gas. After a while you get another trend. You go about yay far every time you put in 5 gallons or so. If you divide the miles travelled by how many gallons . . . . well, sorry for the advanced math, so use the word "per" instead of "divide by." If 5 gallons gets you 225 miles every time, then you get 45 miles per gallon.

That's how they figure stuff like that. Actual arithmetic.

Another cool thing you can do now is say, OK, I know how far I can get with a gallon of gas. If only . . . . . Geez, how many gallons are there????

Well, you know there's at least 5. You keep putting 5 in when it starts flashing. There is anecdotal evidence on this forum of people actually going past 6 gallons, and the motor's still running. Let's use 6.

Um, 6 gallons, at 45 miles to each one, that's . . . . . * * * finds old schoolbook with printed times tables * * * . . . 270 miles!

Remember that tripmeter thing? If it was zero when you filled up, then 270 shouldn't be too hard to notice.

I hope it wasn't too complicated. But really, once you get this all figgered out, you can actually apply it to any gasoline or diesel powered vehicle you operate! It's the same, no matter how many wheels, or how many people! Amazing! Best thing is, it doesn't matter any more if the gas gauge even works at all!
But I do like this one :lol:

... And it DOES annoy me that the documentation didn't say "You have a 1.5 gallon RESERVE".

For the record, today I did a search on this topic because it's been bugging me... Kinda find it funny that it's caused so many chapped asses... Some of us just recently became a part of the FJR community... sheesh...

Mike
Go to the Owner's Manual, to the index where it says "Fuel" and it will give you the page number (3-13??). I strongly suspect it says something like "Fuel Reserve Amount: 5.5L (1.45 US gal) (1.21 Imp. gal)".

I don't like the flashing bar so when it starts flashing I turn the valve on the fuel cell and watch the fuel guage go back up :lol: It's like magic.

Mike
I don't think anyone's hammering anyone for asking a question, but there are some questions that are readily answered by reading and comprehending the manual that came with the bike,

I bought my FJR at the end of July '07 and didn't find/join this site until November or December of that year. By reading the manual, I knew how to properly mount and dismount my bags, adjust my seat and understand the linked braking system. I also knew that my reserve bar would start flashing with approximately 1.5 gallons of fuel left.

After a couple of tanks, I knew about how far I could go once the bar came on. I didn't need this forum to tell me these things. It should not be that hard to think for ourselves. Read the Goddammed manual, and if you don't understand it, read it again.

Last edited by a moderator: