Fuel Pressure Regulator Modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

Not trying to call your baby ugly, but $130? I could see $13, but ten times that?

Dude, a PCIII is ~$280 and you get the world. Honestly, no offense, but I don't really think you have a market here.

-BD

Tom,
Not trying to call your baby ugly, but $130? I could see $13, but ten times that?

Dude, a PCIII is ~$280 and you get the world. Honestly, no offense, but I don't really think you have a market here.

-BD
Maybe we could get a few more units tested before that kind of judgement is made.

How many PCIII users actually have their units dyno tuned? I think most use a map downloaded from someone and hope it works ok.

The regulator may not be for everyone. It is a simple drivablity improvement device.

Thanks Tom

I currently do this modification for the Honda ST1300, CBR1100, VFR800, VTX1800,and the GL1800. The process is well proven and the results are very good.
Apparently, not everyone shares your opinion, like this customer of yours who purchased the FPR and provided this review on your website:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product: Honda 02-05 VFR800 Fuel Pressure Regulator Honda 02-05 VFR800 Fuel Pressure Regulator

Date: Monday 22 May, 2006

Review:

Installed this FPR in my 2004 VFR, hoping to cure the throttle on/off response & driveline "clunk" and "snatch". There was no change in after installation, so I'm a little dissapointed with this modification. Accleration and stumbling were never an issue there so I cannot say if this regulator will help those with these issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In most applications it eliminates the need for a PCIII as the drivablity is greatly improved.
eusa_clap.gif
Kudos for this very carefully crafted statement! Mention the PC-III for maximum word-recognition, then vaguely allude that you don't need a PC-III because your product does one of the many things that a real EFI tuning product does. Then, when you get called on it, you can point out that the sentence doesn't actually say it replaces the PC-III, or has the actual capabilities of a tuning the EFI system like the PC-III does. Nice. Very nice.
eusa_clap.gif

The EFI systems on the bikes are very simple systems. They are tuned very lean to pass emissions tests.
True enough. That is the motivation behind the development of an actual EFI tuning component such as the PC-III. This is, in fact, the main purpose to obtain one and install it: so it can re-tune the EFI system electronically, after receiving real-time data of the prevailing driving environment from a myriad of sensors, and do this across the entire RPM range.... not just a portion of it.

What I do is shift the fuel tables up very slightly.
What you do is increase the pressure in the fuel rail. That's all. There is no actual tuning going on. And you are glossing over the fact that you "shift the fuel tables" across the entire calibration range, from idle to full throttle acceleration, with NO ability to adjust it where you don't want this increase! Recall the observation that Jestal made:

"While the jacked up FPR might help with some of the lean surges off idle reported it will be at the expense of poorer fuel economy and overall rich operation across the rest of the operating spectrum. If you do not disconnect the O2 when doing this the system will spend all it's time while in close loop operation trying to "learn" the extra fuel out anyway which could lead to some poor driveability later as it has tried to compensate for the added fuel. "

This is just another way to help make our bikes run better.
This is a bit misleading... it may indeed improve one aspect of drivability, but as Jestal mentions, it comes at the expense of an overall rich operation across the rest of the operating spectrum.

The regulator may not be for everyone.
You got *that* right! :lol: I suppose if an owner has a timid throttle hand, or rides the FJR like a grandma on a scooter and never exceeds 4000 RPM, etc, etc, perhaps they would be interested. :p

The target market price will be around $130.00.
Over half the price of a PC-III, but no real EFI tuning ability? :blink: I think the BrunDog has your number here..... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

-BD
Having seen the part Tom produces in the flesh, I can tell you that thinking he should be able to produce and distribute it for $13 may qualify as the dumbest thing I have ever seen in print. :dribble:

I dont know Tom, I have never even met him. I did however volunteer to try to test out his gizmo. He sent it to me which is when I discovered it would not fit my 06 and unfortunately had to send it back.

However I did take the time to go and look on some of the other bike boards for which he produces the regulator, and although you may not find 100% agreement (where do you ever) the consensus seems to be that it does work, and it works pretty darned good at improving driveability and eliminating the hesitation, surging, and snatchy throttle that gets bitched about on this board so much.

I disagree that there wouldnt be a market for it. It is simpler to install than a PC111, 1/2 the price, and if it does the job for someone who is not intending on making further performance mods it will sell. The question remains, does it work on the FJR? I think we should wait for the results of testing in everyday operation before rushing to judgement based on theories of operation.

Roy

Warchild,

Were you able to find any posts about how well it works?

Yes, there have been some that were unhappy with the regulator, they may have expected more than drivablity, but overall it is very positive.

Again,I am not telling you not to use a PCIII if thats what you want, just that there may be other options to improve drivablity.

I would like to do additional testing with the FJR. That will tell if there is a market.

I would be glad to send you one to evaluate, If you would give an honest, unbiased report.

Thanks for the use of your forum. Tom

Were you able to find any posts about how well it works?
Oooooh, yes, plenty of those reviews. The ST1300 crowd appears to love them. I was curious about Viffer post, though.

Again,I am not telling you not to use a PCIII if thats what you want, just that there may be other options to improve drivablity.
My only issue is that comparisons are being made with the PC-III (or at the very least, a lot of name-dropping is being used here). The PC-III is a true EFI tuning device. A higher pressure regulator is not. As long as forum members realize and are fully appraised that your device does not do what a PC-III does, that's the main point of issue.

I would be glad to send you one to evaluate, If you would give an honest, unbiased report.
Forum members are well aware that I always provide the real-world evaluation story, whether good, bad or indifferent. Here is a link to a recent example of this.

Thanks for the use of your forum.
Hrmmmm... speaking of that, please check your private messages.