Fuel Starvation 33 mi into reserve

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't that be inertia?
No, inertia keeps the gas from instantly going to the back of the tank. The mass or resistance to momentum change is inertia related.

My reserve blinker is calibrated very close to spec (so it seems). I have a photo from a recent rally where I was on reserve for 66 miles (with heavily loaded bike). Was in a tough spot in South Dakota and last gas was 3 bars. Had to ride 48 mph for 90 minutes. Bike was running out of gas going up hill three times before coating into station. If I downshifted as it sputtered,it began to get gas again. I would thnk intuitively going uphill would shift gas to the point where the gas line is--must be more to it than that (with fuel pump, etc)

I pumped just shy of 6.4 gallons that day, yuck

In normal city riding (which is about 60% highway) my ride gets 89 km (53 or so miles) before sputtering - tried it twice while carrying a half litre water bottle of gasoline to get me moving. No issues other than it sputtered. I squeeezed about 25 lires of fuel in when I got to the station - a litre is just over a quarter gallon, so that's 6.6 gallons of gas. Overall range, based on the bike's record of average mileage is 5.6l/100 km (42 MPG) - so if I can burn about 25 litres of gas I can go 446 km (276 miles) before I would have to push - but of course it all depends on how I happened to ride that particular tankful - lots of twist equals less mileage.

Then there's the impact of ethanol on mileage - if *your* station hasn't been diluting it's fuel as much as allowed by law you can see some significant economic benefits.

YMMV

Evolution of a zombie thread:

zombie_forum.jpg

Admins must be out dickin' around again...how has this thread NOT been relegated to NEPRT hell??

I think my tank float must be somewhat off. If I go about 30 miles "on reserve" and refill, about the most I can get into the bike is about 5.5 gallons. Which is fine with me because I just don't want to go to the edge of the abyss and run out of gas on the side of the road.

On the point of ruining your fuel pump just by getting deep into the reserve amount, I have a hard time seeing that. It is the fuel in the pump that cools the pump, not the fuel in the tank. However since the gas tank sits on top of a hot engine, I suppose that small amount of fuel could be warmed quicker and hotter than a more full tank, but I don't think the temperature of the gas is nearly as critical as just the lubricating quality of having gas in the pump. But what the hell do I know.

On the larger issue: I know some people like to toe right up to the edge of the abyss, but why push your remaining fuel to the point of fumes? Now, some say it is to see exactly how far you can go on reserve, but again, why? In the U.S. except for more desolate locations there is almost always a gas station within 10-20 miles of whereever you are. And if you are out riding in say, Death Valley, I would just be extremely cautious and fill up at 2 bars left, or if I say a sign that said "last gas for 90 miles", make damn sure I had PLENTY of fuel to make it that far without even going on reserve. And if that meant backtracking 5-10 miles, so be it.

Besides, stopping every 90 minutes or so is pretty much a given anyway. The pretty ladies at the gas station love bike riders.

BTW, just got back from a 860 mile, 4 day trip from Snohomish,WA to Hood River,OR thru Leavenworth/Goldendale. What a ride. Great scenery the whole way, especialy from Cascade Locks and heading East on Washington Hwy 14 along the Columbia River. Better than the Interstate 84 route on the river. Alot less traffic, better road and better views. With wife, a pack and a handful of wine bottles in the hard cases on the return, and mostly riding at 65-70 mph, got 44.4 mpg on the trip (according to the trip computer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, stopping every 90 minutes or so is pretty much a given anyway.
Speak for yourself.

I rode 600 miles on Saturday and stopped 3 times in the 12 hours that I was away from home; Twice to fill the tank and once for lunch.

On the larger issue: I know some people like to toe right up to the edge of the abyss, but why push your remaining fuel to the point of fumes? Now, some say it is to see exactly how far you can go on reserve, but again, why? In the U.S. except for more desolate locations there is almost always a gas station within 10-20 miles of whereever you are. And if you are out riding in say, Death Valley, I would just be extremely cautious and fill up at 2 bars left, or if I say a sign that said "last gas for 90 miles"

Besides, stopping every 90 minutes or so is pretty much a given anyway. The pretty ladies at the gas station love bike riders.
You aren't a golfer are you?

Different riding for different folks, of course. If you get off four lane highways, you can find hundreds (thousands?) of examples where next gas is over 50 miles away. Not to mention riding all night through small towns with no automated pay at the pump.

My example was south Dakota on a Sunday afternoon. I passed gas (he he) with 3 bars thinking surely I'd find gas in the next 100 miles, I didn't. Compounding to that, hitting the find gas on the garmin gives you "as the crow flies" which gave a false sense that gas was 35 miles away when after routing (on roads) was 65miles (I hadn't had Fred's primer on POIs on route yet!) and I just started reserve.

I would agree on the interstate highway system there is generally fair warning when 50 or more miles from gas.

I gambled, it turned out fine, just a datapoint.

I would not been able to complete a BBG3000 (gotta sleep) or do too well in rallies stopping every 90 minutes (for fuel).

On the larger issue: I know some people like to toe right up to the edge of the abyss, but why push your remaining fuel to the point of fumes? Now, some say it is to see exactly how far you can go on reserve, but again, why? In the U.S. except for more desolate locations there is almost always a gas station within 10-20 miles of whereever you are. And if you are out riding in say, Death Valley, I would just be extremely cautious and fill up at 2 bars left, or if I say a sign that said "last gas for 90 miles"

You aren't a golfer are you?

Different riding for different folks, of course. If you get off four lane highways, you can find hundreds (thousands?) of examples where next gas is over 50 miles away. Not to mention riding all night through small towns with no automated pay at the pump.

My example was south Dakota on a Sunday afternoon. I passed gas (he he) with 3 bars thinking surely I'd find gas in the next 100 miles, I didn't. Compounding to that, hitting the find gas on the garmin gives you "as the crow flies" which gave a false sense that gas was 35 miles away when after routing (on roads) was 65miles (I hadn't had Fred's primer on POIs on route yet!) and I just started reserve.

I would agree on the interstate highway system there is generally fair warning when 50 or more miles from gas.

I gambled, it turned out fine, just a datapoint.

I would not been able to complete a BBG3000 (gotta sleep) or do too well in rallies stopping every 90 minutes (for fuel).
Well, as I said, riding in the middle of nowhere, especially at night or on a sunday (like in utah perhaps) you gotta be careful. If all you need to do is fuel and stretch you legs while fueling, if you use a credit card you can be in and out in 5 minutes or less assuming a pump is open. Being a senior citizen about to collect on you workin' stiffs ss, getting off the bike every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a couple of minutes is good for the mind and body anyway. Maybe you mis-understood me. I don't fuel every 90 minutes or so, just get off the bike at a scenic spot, or to take a leak, or whatever. When I fuel depends on alot of factors. But I guarantee you that if I was out in the middle of nowhere in unknown territory, especially at night, I would be mighty, mighty conservative on fueling. For you iron-butt guys, if that is your thing, go for it. Just not my idea of riding, nor the wifes.

No worries. I'm hoping IBPete's newly installed aux tank will make South Dakota a more distant memory.

Unfortunately, sometimes 5 extra minutes makes all the difference :)

Who can truly answer that? After a shit load of fuel-ups, is there gunk sitting at the bottom of the tank?
No, not practically. This was/is an actual issue on bikes with a hard/petcock reserve, because it was switching between an upper and lower tube in the tank - so if you went many, many tanks without ever switching to reserve, it was possible that switching to reserve wouldn't help much because your lower screen would be clogged. But on bikes which really have a low fuel indication but not reserve, you're always pumping from the practical bottom of the tank.