Full Ohlins anyone ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
There was a post not to long ago about someone installing the rear Ohlins.. I contacted that web site and no one has responded to me. Does anyone on this forum have the front and rear? Rear being the complete unit and the front i think is the new Ohlins cartridge and spring "guts"... I know there are many options but im leaning towards this set up. I have an 08' and Ohlins calls for part # YA707 is this correct ? Any suggestions or feed back on the 'full meal deal' ? Thanks guys !!!!!

I have just fitted a Ohlins rear shock. I believe the part no is correct you mention. You will need to give an accurate weight figure including leathers, boots, helmet and weight of full panniers for them to spec the right spring.

It has made a significant improvement in handling, much firmer but not harsh.

I Cant comment on front end as I find the OE more than upto the job, once setup.

Andy

I have the Hyperpro front progressive springs and the Ohlins rear OEM replacement on my Gen I, which has pleasantly transformed my bike's handling. These folks were great to deal with (although the Swedes were on "Holiday" and took over a month to get my shock) and offered a good price. As mentioned above, you'll need your ATGATT riding weight, bags weight, % two up riding time and riding style for them when you order. https://www.kyleusa.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I opted to go with the Hyperpro replacement springs for the OEM shock as well as the forks, Once I did that I was able to properly set the sag and that made a big difference, I don't race or ride hard enough to warrant an Ohlins setup and 250 bucks is way easier on my wallet :)

Got mine from https://www.epmperf.com/ very fast, very good and very knowledgable

I opted to go with the Hyperpro replacement springs for the OEM shock as well as the forks, Once I did that I was able to properly set the sag and that made a big difference, I don't race or ride hard enough to warrant an Ohlins setup and 250 bucks is way easier on my wallet :)
Got mine from https://www.epmperf.com/ very fast, very good and very knowledgable
Did you mean this option was $250-ish less than the Ohlins?

I'm seeing $939 on that website for a rear shock from them.

EDIT: reread and saw my error. You were referencing the front fork. Which looks to mean that one could use these guys and get their front and rear done for roughly the same cost as a rear Ohlins. Interesting option. :)

Actually I'm referring to 250 for everything, I did the front fork spring kit from them, and they sell a replacement spring for the factory Yamaha rear shock, so I kept my factory shock and just improved it with a spring that is correctly sprung for my fat A%% :) I had to remove the "Soft Hard" adjuster but swapping the spring really was a piece of cake...

Actually I'm referring to 250 for everything, I did the front fork spring kit from them, and they sell a replacement spring for the factory Yamaha rear shock, so I kept my factory shock and just improved it with a spring that is correctly sprung for my fat A%% :) I had to remove the "Soft Hard" adjuster but swapping the spring really was a piece of cake...
Heck - even better!

I guess with Race-Tech getting into rear shocks, no surprise to see Ohlin get into the front.

Does anyone have a link to where the Ohlin folk are giving details? and are these going through the same distribution channel? ....and who in the Ohlin chain has been trained on doing these? Their distributors?

many questions in reno ....John

I guess with Race-Tech getting into rear shocks, no surprise to see Ohlin get into the front.
Does anyone have a link to where the Ohlin folk are giving details? and are these going through the same distribution channel? ....and who in the Ohlin chain has been trained on doing these? Their distributors?

many questions in reno ....John
Here is a link from Ohlins Yamaha Fjr page

Andy

It sounds like if the adjuster is removed from the stock shock what is left is a spring with full variable adjustment on the preload. Is this right?

Here is a link from Ohlins Yamaha Fjr pageAndy
The only thing I see there are front springs, with no data. I see no mention of cartridges/valves or anything else for the front.

I guess I'm a little confused by this thread, what exactly is Ohlins offering for the front? Is it springs only?, if so that is no big deal, springs are the easy part and can be had a numerous places.

Here is a link from Ohlins Yamaha Fjr pageAndy
The only thing I see there are front springs, with no data. I see no mention of cartridges/valves or anything else for the front.

I guess I'm a little confused by this thread, what exactly is Ohlins offering for the front? Is it springs only?, if so that is no big deal, springs are the easy part and can be had a numerous places.
Very true , but word has it the Ohlins springs do not require spacer with the springs for preload. I just bought a 08 with a oversprung Ohlins shock ( 160 nm ) , standard spring is 140nm. Plan to go to the 140 rear spring with 10 nm front springs.

It sounds like if the adjuster is removed from the stock shock what is left is a spring with full variable adjustment on the preload. Is this right?
Not quite, you lose any adjustment when you remove the soft/hard lever (not that it really does much) but when you order the Hyperpro they ask for weight and luggage etc, so the new spring is much better then stock ever could be.

Is it as good as an Ohlins? No....but it's very good for the money and since i am not a very aggressive rider it's fine for me :)