FutureVision Low Beam HID install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
I'm 'in the throes' of installing aux lights including the FV HID's and have a Q or two:

(https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=135210&st=0&p=824055&fromsearch=1entry824055)

> The grommet pictured below on the wiring; you just cut that off, right? I don't see any way that it can be kept and keep the stock rubber seal (also pictured) - just wanted to make sure before I do something irreversible!

> The stock seal; the backside of the HID is smaller and therefore the stock seal doesn't conform around it like it does the stock H4; do you do something to fill the hole better to seal the headlight area if ya know what I mean?

I did look and found lots of HID threads, but none that addressed this directly or any pictures of that part, can ya help?

FJRHID002.jpg

OooKay, no replies; I'm gonna take my best guess and cut off the HID grommet and hope for the best with the factory seal!

Between the Superbowl yesterday and some other things going on Saturday, I haven't made much progress anyway, but need to get back on it this afternoon.

The base of my HID (bixenon) bulbs was much larger and there was no grommet on the kit. I have seen that grommet on kits for H1 and H3 type lights, and it is used to seal a hole in the light housing in that case. For my install, I just used the OEM rubber dust-boot but had to make a slice near the center to create room to fit it over the wiring and base of the bulb. It fit snugly after installation.

DSC_0519.jpg

The base of my HID (bixenon) bulbs was much larger and there was no grommet on the kit. I have seen that grommet on kits for H1 and H3 type lights, and it is used to seal a hole in the light housing in that case. For my install, I just used the OEM rubber dust-boot but had to make a slice near the center to create room to fit it over the wiring and base of the bulb. It fit snugly after installation.

DSC_0519.jpg
Thanks Tom; I actually have the opposite problem in that the back of the FV low beam only kit is smaller that the stock H4's so there's extra room between the 'circle' of the stock OEM seal/dust boot and the bulb. I am somewhat concerned that water/whatever could get into/on the bulb, but it is in a protected area for the most part so unless I find out another solution I'm just gonna leave it alone.

I had thought of taking something like packing foam and cutting it out as I could form that easily but dunno if there would be any heat issues from the bulb that would make that a bad idea.

For my ballasts, I see you put yours in the middle; on a Gen 2, one of the 'improvements' is that area is a vented space from the front for airflow. I thought about putting them in there anyway as I like your setup, but I'd have to somehow block that vent so opted instead to mount them one on each side. I think I have that figured out with some help of some internet searching to find a pretty good pic of how someone else did theirs. Much as I searched tho, couldn't find any specific info on the dust boot/light issue.