FZ1 Gen 1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
While at the wrench session I noticed these mirrors on some other FJRs, and tiring of my elbow views, I plan on these being a winter upgrade. My question is this as simple as it appears or are there things to trip over, like different gaskets etc.?

Plug and play! :yahoo:

Or, with the inimitable words of Pat Morita (Mr. Miyagi in the popular "Karate Kid" films.):

"Bolts off, bolts on!"

Removing the plastic to get to them is the most difficult part of the process. And that's not really that hard either.

Go to the FZ1 fourm and look in the For Sale section, that's where I got mine. do not buy from e-bay unless they are OEM and when you put them on use locktight on the nuts. James when you find a pair I can help you put them on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug and play! :yahoo:
Or, with the inimitable words of Pat Morita (Mr. Miyagi in the popular "Karate Kid" films.):

"Bolts off, bolts on!"
Wait a minute! I spoke too soon. Since you have a Gen II, the metal spacers (think roll pins) that the mirror studs pass through may too long and must be removed and trimmed.

Perhaps one of the others Gen II owners who have done this swap will speak up.

I have put aux light brackets on and they act as spacers, if you plan on putting aux lights under the mirrors order the brackets from Garauld before you put the mirrors on (order gen1 brackets for you bike if you putting on FZ1 mirrors) PM me if you have any questions.

I put them on my bike as you might have noticed, they bolt right up but they leave a small gap between the mirror base and the body work. There are two remedies 1) get a fairly dense piece of rubber about .150 thick and make a spacer (this is what I did at first). 2) The are a set of spacers that go under the stock mirrors that can be removed and then make a shorter set.

Things did get a little more complicated when I put on my FF50's as I used Gen ll brackets, but still was fairly simple to do, just a little imagineering.

The Gen I FZ1 mirrors are the ones you want. Here are the part #'s.

5LV-26290-00-00

5LV-26280-00-00

If you need anything let me know. They are a great improvemnt.

I put them on my bike as you might have noticed, they bolt right up but they leave a small gap between the mirror base and the body work. There are two remedies 1) get a fairly dense piece of rubber about .150 thick and make a spacer (this is what I did at first). 2) The are a set of spacers that go under the stock mirrors that can be removed and then make a shorter set.Things did get a little more complicated when I put on my FF50's as I used Gen ll brackets, but still was fairly simple to do just a little imagineering.

The Gen I FZ1 mirrors are the ones you want. Here are the part #'s.

5LV-26290-00-00

5LV-26280-00-00

If you need anything let me know. They are a great improvemnt.
Call or email Gary McCoy and Mondak - a preferred vendor and great to do business for official Yammy parts

Mondak Motorsports in Sidney, Montana.

the discount is cost + 20%

the online shopping cart will not reflect the fjr group discount.

toll free # 866-433-6635 reg ph # 406-433-6635 fax 406-433-8337

[email protected]

I ground down my mounts with a dremel tool. You've got to be careful, but it works great. I don't like looking at my fingers and elbow in the stock mirrors. This is one of my favorite farkles.

GP

Removing the plastic to get to them is the most difficult part of the process. And that's not really that hard either.
I just installed the Suzuki V Strom hand guards (I like) only to find out that the meager OEM mirrors are now obstructed in part by the hand guards. So here I am, planning to install the OEM FZ1 mirrors, something I should have done a long time ago. I was tired of dipping my shoulder to see behind me anyway. I guess I ought to know the answer to all this, but I don't. On my '05, to swap out the mirrors, will I need to remove panels A, then B (on the left) and D, then C (on the right) to get to the mirror fittings on the underside of the cowling? I assume the mirrors cannot be swapped without removing some of the tupperware panels, just not sure which ones. Should I use Loctite or lock nuts or both? Will I need new bushings or gaskets for the FZ1 mirrors? As you can tell, I am insecure when it comes to things mechanical. Patience and guidance appreciated.

I just installed the Suzuki V Strom hand guards (I like) only to find out that the meager OEM mirrors are now obstructed in part by the hand guards. So here I am, planning to install the OEM FZ1 mirrors, something I should have done a long time ago. I was tired of dipping my shoulder to see behind me anyway. I guess I ought to know the answer to all this, but I don't. On my '05, to swap out the mirrors, will I need to remove panels A, then B (on the left) and D, then C (on the right) to get to the mirror fittings on the underside of the cowling? I assume the mirrors cannot be swapped without removing some of the tupperware panels, just not sure which ones. Should I use Loctite or lock nuts or both? Will I need new bushings or gaskets for the FZ1 mirrors? As you can tell, I am insecure when it comes to things mechanical. Patience and guidance appreciated.
yep, you got it...remove those most commonly removed A B C D four panels (all black) and there are 2 each 10mm nuts holding on the mirrors...plug and play or bolts off, bolts on...just don't drop a nut...that can be problematic :dribble:

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=7

it's not rocket science or electrical work (can't see electrons, they can move from place to place without ever being inbetween...give me a break to this mechanical engr by education) but I too am intimidated the first time I do something and am much better when I've either read a manual or watched someone do the work so my confidence is boosted. Those nasty Murphy Gremlins are just waiting to pounce, aren't they? :blink:

I also recommend maxi view blind spot mirrors stuck on the inside lower corner of each mirror. I luv mine and they have saved my arsh more than once.

https://www.maxiviewmirrors.com/wp/blind-sp...rcycle-mirrors/

pics of the bike to follow

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

yep, you got it...remove those most commonly removed A B C D four panels (all black) and there are 2 each 10mm nuts holding on the mirrors...plug and play or bolts off, bolts on...just don't drop a nut...that can be problematic :dribble:

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=7

it's not rocket science or electrical work (can't see electrons, they can move from place to place without ever being inbetween...give me a break to this mechanical engr by education) but I too am intimidated the first time I do something and am much better when I've either read a manual or watched someone do the work so my confidence is boosted. Those nasty Murphy Gremlins are just waiting to pounce, aren't they? :blink:

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'
Sweet. Thanks much. I can break an anvil with a banana, so wish me luck.

This is one of the best farkle that I did, would never come back with the original mirrors 300% better vision in the back, so easy to do !

4296412492_d87ff4fa35.jpg

4296412494_ae9f0622ba.jpg

4296412498_ec449cb9a4.jpg

4296412490_ecd43fc064_m.jpg
4296412486_68222dc551_m.jpg
4296412486_68222dc551_m.jpg