FZ1 mirrors - a few questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Calimus

First off, in all your opinions, are they really "all that" Vs the stock FJR mirrors?

Problem, I'm having is that my right side mirror, the finish on the back is somehow coming off (mirror is less than a year on the bike as it was replaced by the dealer) and so I'm loosing visability. I've already checked and the mirror only had a 90 day from warrenty. I asked about a set of FZ1 mirrors and they says they could cut me a deal for $90 a pop or $180 for both. Is that a decent deal?

I haven't gone searching for FZ1 mirrors on the market, but through the searches, I know to stay away from the one's on fleabay. So I'm just curious if they are a worth while upgrade and if the dealer is cutting me a good deal. What say you?

An no it's not Friday, so just hang on to your dog's pile.

I have the FZ1 mirrors on my bike and I like them a lot. Especially when commuting so you can keep an eye on your 6.

$90/each is not a good deal, I think I paid around $100 for my set. I haven't looked at the ones on ebay but there is a lot of knock-off stuff on there so be careful.

JW

Edit: Ronayers.com has them for about $45 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it with great incredulity that your search didn’t reveal that nearly everyone that has changed to FZ1 mirrors love them and find them to be vastly better than the FJR mirrors. There is also small contingent that is quite satisfied with stick-on dome mirrors or the similar variants.

$90/ea is a rip off not a good price.

Edited: I see jwilly just posted with good info.

Friday i ordered a replacemnent left FZ1 replacement for my 05.

The reflective material was disapearing from the far left of the mirror.

39.00 + shipping from umotors in fargo...talk to mike. tell him you are withthe FJR Fourm..701.232.5000

i bought a spot mirror to cover the white area on the soon to be replaced mirror. taking a little getting used to, but i think i'm going to mount them up on both mirrors...

cadman

p.s.

Yes the FZ1 mirror upgrade are in fact "all that" and then some!!!

Edit: Ronayers.com has them for about $45 each.
I would be forever grateful if someone could post a *direct* link to the FZ1 mirrors on the RonAyers.com web site. No amount of searching using their site "tools" will show me the mirrors so I can order them...

Since you asked so nicely Shawn, here you go: clicky

From Ron Ayers home page, scroll over OEM parts and choose "online microfiche"

On the next page choose Yamaha Motorcycles in the upper right.

Then choose 05 model year, and then choose FZIT FZI

Then click on cowling, to get the pricing you click on the actual part number for what you looking for.

JW

Yes the FZ1 mirror upgrade are in fact "all that" and then some!!!
Are there any installation issues with mounting to an 08? I heard there may be a gap, vibration, etc - any advice before I buy is greatly appreciated.

I remember that several people have mounted them on 07's and there was no issue. To my knowledge nothing change with the mounting from 07 to 08. One person I know had them on an 07 was "AGirl" here on the forum.

JW

I bought a set of the knock-offs from eBay for $27. I had to replace the nut & bolt on the pivot because the ones that came with them were cheap. I am happy with them now. I havn't seen a set of factory mirrors to compare, but I imagine they are slightly better quality than the ones I have. They do work well though.

I put a set on my 07 and think they are well worth it, not quit as nice looking but a much improver rear view. I made a rubber spacer out of some .150 thick firm rubber. I think MadMike posted once that buying FZ1???? spacers also did the trick but couldn't find that post. Good luck.

I think MadMike posted once that buying FZ1???? spacers also did the trick but couldn't find that post.
Almost right..! If you want a "factory fit" for the Gen I FZ1 mirrors on a Gen II FJR, the best way is to get the replacement mirror mount bushings that Skyway includes with his Soltek light bracket kits. These are a shorter bushing than stock and allows the rubber base of the FZ1 mirror to snug right up against the FJR's upper fairing. If you can't get hold of Skyway, remove the stock bushings and using a good bench grinder remove approx 3/32" off each bushing.

OK... First of all I did the FZ1 mirrors about 6 weeks ago, and theyare worth EVERY penny. I can now see behind me. Second of all yammy shop here in Anchorage wants $110 a pop for FZ1 mirros. SO I opted for the ebay mirrors for $36 bucks delivered to Alaska for the pair. Now I've only had them for 6 weeks, but they work great (no vibration). Only time will tell if they are going to hold up, but I can tell you I took a chance, and am not disapointed that I did. Any how I normally don't go cheap on the FJR, but I just thought I would take a chance, and if I got burned I would only be out $36 bucks. Just my .02

Josh

All good info. Thanks a lot everyone. Aside from the one mirror deteriorating, I have been rather tired of seeing my shoulders. Looks like I'll be ordering a set soon. :D

Yes...FZ-1 mirrors are ALL THAT...and a bag of chips! ;)

Especially for we who are rather portly er..uh..wide-bodied.

Someone once asked me about mine when we were at a rest stop on a group ride. I had him sit on my bike and look at me in the mirrors. Then I had him turn around to see that I was only about 6' behind the bike.

His response: "OMG, the view is THAT much better!" :eek:

Since you asked so nicely Shawn, here you go:
Forgive me - I didn't mean to ask nicely... :)

Then click on cowling, to get the pricing you click on the actual part number for what you looking for.
Thanks for the help! I managed to find them thanks to your excellent instructions and I can see why I never would have found the damn things on my own!

New mirrors ordered and, if we're ever in the same bar, your first 3 beers are on me!

I find it with great incredulity that your search didn’t reveal that nearly everyone that has changed to FZ1 mirrors love them and find them to be vastly better than the FJR mirrors. There is also small contingent that is quite satisfied with stick-on dome mirrors or the similar variants.
$90/ea is a rip off not a good price.

Edited: I see jwilly just posted with good info.

++1

When I researched them the concensus was they were the #1 farkle (really a safety upgrade)

I agree