FZ1 mirrors on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Sun Rider

Reaction score
I just installed FZ1 mirrors on my 07' FJR AE, and they are great! By far the best bang for the buck farkel. PERIOD! Why Yamaha did not just use FZ1 mirrors, or design mirrors that worked the first time is beyond me. If you ever thought about doing this, stop thinking and start doing. And I thought the heli risers where worth the money.......")

I got mine from the same people that make the FZ1 and the cost doesn't really matter because they are a safety mod.

I got mine here. $94.50 shipped.

Not sure the what model year will fit the '07 & '08's, but shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. I remember a recent post with pics by a member that put FZ1 mirrors on his Gen II.

I just put them on my '04. What a difference! Looks like I paid $20 too much, but I don't care. They're on the bike and I now have a proper view of the world -- just about a full 180-degree rear view, from the corner of one eye all the way around to a real view down the lane behind me and back up to the corner of the other eye. And it's all without those silly little cheater mirrors.

Oh -- and they fold away neatly for parking in tight places, then pop right into place when you're ready to go.

+1

I just put mine on yesterday & today had a chance to ride with them. Takes a little while to get out of the habit of pulling my elbows in every time I look at them :)

They are a great addition! Thanks to evryone whose posts I read about them on!

btw I got mine at Zanotti’s - $98 including shipping (I also had them send the gaskets but ended up using the '08 stock gasket)

I put the FZ mirrors on the first week I had the bike :yahoo: Many thanks to the Forum for the recommendation :yahoo: :clapping:

A couple of weeks ago, I put on a set of the 2" bullet mirror on each side on the outer and upper most point I could. My wife generally rides in my blind spot (the way I have the FZs setup). Now a vehicle will be in more normal peripheral vision when looking straight ahead and it the bullet.

OK OK, I really didn't want to tell you guys where I got these from because I thought they might be crap in the end, but they work and look GREAT! So here it goes.... I got them on ebay from an aftermarket distributer. 25 bucks for the mirrors and 12 bucks delivered to Alaska. I thought they where a little on the cheap side when I ordered them, but they look great (Even with the fake carbon look) and there is NO vibration in them at all. All in all a very nice product for the money, and shipping was reasenable and fast (4 days to AK counting the day I order them). I would recomened these to anyone w/ an FJR. Don't beat me up to bad for the ebay purchase.... :)

OK OK, I really didn't want to tell you guys where I got these from because I thought they might be crap in the end, but they work and look GREAT! So here it goes.... I got them on ebay from an aftermarket distributer. 25 bucks for the mirrors and 12 bucks delivered to Alaska. I thought they where a little on the cheap side when I ordered them, but they look great (Even with the fake carbon look) and there is NO vibration in them at all. All in all a very nice product for the money, and shipping was reasenable and fast (4 days to AK counting the day I order them). I would recomened these to anyone w/ an FJR. Don't beat me up to bad for the ebay purchase.... :)
Any issues w/ installation?

I've considered the Ebay models, but reports of broken bolts have surfaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Yamaha did not just use FZ1 mirrors, or design mirrors that worked the first time is beyond me.

Because they went FORM over FUNTION. I passed my wife, coming from the other direction, one day and she later

told me she knew it was me from 1/2 a mile away because "the mirrors were sticking out so far". So I guess they

look a little goofy. But I really don't care. I'm used to the look; and they function like sideview mirrors are supposed

to.

Viva FZ1 mirrors on the FJR!

Only time will tell about the quality. All the bolts tighten up great, no stripping or stretching or anything like that (So far). I usealy go with quality, but thought I would try these for now. And if Im wrong I'm out 37 bucks and a little time. I'll let you guys know if they fail. SO far so good. And as for form or fuction, I don't think they look bad. A little winder that original mirrors, but IF they had come on the bike I don't think you would have given it a second look. JMO

Josh

My '03 with the FZ1 mirrors. Note that they are wider then the bags, so if the mirrors go through the gap, the bags will. You can also see that the mirrors are well outside the handlebars.

dsc03001ia5.jpg

I just installed FZ1 mirrors on my 07' FJR AE, and they are great! By far the best bang for the buck farkel. PERIOD! Why Yamaha did not just use FZ1 mirrors, or design mirrors that worked the first time is beyond me. If you ever thought about doing this, stop thinking and start doing. And I thought the heli risers where worth the money.......")
I don't know about Gen II, but for those with Gen I, this is something you NEED to do. You've seen the pictures, the do not do justice to the increase in visibility you get with these new mirrors.

I have an '04 and have made limited modifications. BY FAR the best bang for the buck were the FZ1 mirrors. I found a slightly used OEM pair on ebay for about $50 including shipping. My bike is used, and while mechanically sound, it has a few scratches, so it was no big deal to me.

For the record, the other farkles include (in order of appreciation): Heli risers, and a russell seat (part of the group buy last year).

I commute 14 mi. on all but the nastiest of days (missed less than 5 days in the last year). The mirrors and risers have made a big difference. the seat has made a BIG difference for Mrs who rides once in a while, but for me, the difference may not be a big deal. (I've done some 200 mi. days, but not on a regular basis. Guess I need to step it up a bit, eh?)

BUT with those new mirrors, you can easily see what's behind you. A very good thing.