FZ1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misalot

Reaction score
I have an 07 FJR (Gen II ) and I would like to know if I can use part number 5LV-26290-00-00 instead of 3C3-26290-00-00. These are the FZ1 mirrors used on the FJR as replacements to improve sight lanes. I am asking because the 5LV ones are $38 and the 3C3 are $87. I have searched the forum and couldn't find what the difference it would make. Can I make the less costly ones work or not.

Misalot (of what, work? ;) ),

IIRC, the cheaper models have a hit-or-miss problem with the mounting nuts & bolts. The higher priced OEMs are solid.

I ordered the genuine Yamaha FZ-1 mirrors ( part #'s 5LV-26280-00-00 & 5LV-26290-00-00 ) from Zanotti Motors for about 38.00 ea plus about 15.00 for shipping. Received them yesterday.

I haven't finished the installation yet but I've got to tell you...the new rearward view is simply amazing compared to the '06 stockers. My elbows have "disappeared" and I can now easily see the sides of my trunk, not to mention what's behind me.

Nice improvement and money well spent. I heartily recommend.

Any chance of getting a pic or two? Sounds like you've completed the install, so we can't get a view of both on at once (new on one side, old on the other).

I'm interested in doing this as well, which is why I'm asking. Also wondering if/how much the air flow is different around the grips. I've been wondering about putting on the VStrom hand guards, hoping to avoid heated grips.

I ordered the genuine Yamaha FZ-1 mirrors ( part #'s 5LV-26280-00-00 & 5LV-26290-00-00 ) from Zanotti Motors for about 38.00 ea plus about 15.00 for shipping. Received them yesterday. I haven't finished the installation yet but I've got to tell you...the new rearward view is simply amazing compared to the '06 stockers. My elbows have "disappeared" and I can now easily see the sides of my trunk, not to mention what's behind me.

Thanks, let me know if there is any problems putting them on your 06

Installation was easy-peasy. The only reason I'm not finished yet is I'm taking the opportunity to repair a cracked dash panel, other wise would have taken about 30 mins.

The rubber "bootie" on the stem doesn't sit flush against the body because of differences between the two bikes: longer spacers on the FJR. After considering it for a while I decided it wasn't a big deal and left it alone.

The new mirrors look as if they sit at least 6 inches further apart than stock, you'll really notice this when walking around the bike in a crowded garage. LOL

I haven't ridden with them yet but I'm also curious as to how they'll effect airflow to my hands; the stock mirrors blocked air quite effectively. This might make a difference in Fall/Winter.

If I get a chance before I button it up I'll try to get some pictures with both mirrors.

I ordered the genuine Yamaha FZ-1 mirrors ( part #'s 5LV-26280-00-00 & 5LV-26290-00-00 ) from Zanotti Motors for about 38.00 ea plus about 15.00 for shipping. Received them yesterday. I haven't finished the installation yet but I've got to tell you...the new rearward view is simply amazing compared to the '06 stockers. My elbows have "disappeared" and I can now easily see the sides of my trunk, not to mention what's behind me.

+1 bot at same place / price - good service

On my '08 I installed the 5LV-26280-00-00 & 5LV-26290-00-00 mirrors over the Skyway Soltek light mounts. The mirror studs on these FZ1 mirrors are a bit shorter than the stock '08 mirrors. I had to counterbore the Skyway mounts about 2mm to allow the studs to protrude through well enough for the nuts. And yes, I did use the shorter mirror mount bushings that came from Skyway and I did not use any additional gaskets. I don't know if the 3C3-26290-00-00 mirrors have the same length mounting studs.

No different vibrations, no new wind noise, no difference to wind over my grips, but a HUGE difference in what I can view. These mirrors look funny, but the function they provide is far worth their "It's a bug's life" appearance.

On my '08 I installed the 5LV-26280-00-00 & 5LV-26290-00-00 mirrors over the Skyway Soltek light mounts. The mirror studs on these FZ1 mirrors are a bit shorter than the stock '08 mirrors. I had to counterbore the Skyway mounts about 2mm to allow the studs to protrude through well enough for the nuts. And yes, I did use the shorter mirror mount bushings that came from Skyway and I did not use any additional gaskets. I don't know if the 3C3-26290-00-00 mirrors have the same length mounting studs.
No different vibrations, no new wind noise, no difference to wind over my grips, but a HUGE difference in what I can view. These mirrors look funny, but the function they provide is far worth their "It's a bug's life" appearance.
And don't forget the shorter mirror bushings if you don't like the 2mm gap...Yamaha OEM list is $13.50 PER X 4 !!!!! I think the cheapest I've seen is ~$8.50 PER online, but that's still ridiculous. So far, I still have the 2mm gap :blink:

And don't forget the shorter mirror bushings if you don't like the 2mm gap...Yamaha OEM list is $13.50 PER X 4 !!!!! I think the cheapest I've seen is ~$8.50 PER online, but that's still ridiculous. So far, I still have the 2mm gap :blink:
Tahoe,

I'm not sure if your response is directed towards my FZ1 mirror installation. I did use the shorter mirror bushings. This allowed the Skyway light mount brackets to fit flush against the fairing. The FZ1 mirrors come with their own rubber housings so no additional rubber gasket is required, nor the need to use the thick '08 mirror gaskets. I only had to counter-bore the Skyway brackets holes 2mm since the threaded studs on the FZ1 mirrors I received were a bit shorter than my stock '08 mirrors. If I were to install the FZ1 mirrors without the Skyway brackets, I would only have needed the shorter mirror bushings for a perfect fit. I assume this is the 2mm gap you are referring to. Ride safe,

Geo

I did use the shorter mirror bushings.
Hi Geo,

I did try to price Skyway's shorter bushings (if sold separately from the light kit) though he hasn't returned my call or email [unfortunately, he seems to have a sketchy reputation here].