FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATLDB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have an 2007 FJR. The FJR has basically brought me BACK from many years of Boxer Twins, to the smooth and beatifully power of a straight 4. I just LOVE this bike. Now here comes the question:

I still have a 2007 Ducati GT 1000. which is a great machine, great torque, great power, beatifull looking. But I have the new bike bug and the new straight 4 bug, as mentioned above. So I am fishing. looking, seating, test riding when I can.

Three Bikes have stand out:

Speed Triple = not a twin, not a 4 but one bike that the reviews on it speaks for itself, problem is I just lost the Triumph shop we had here in Cumming, GA so no one knows who is getting the frenchise. And the nearest is Downtown Atlanta.

Guzzi Griso 1100 (not the new one with 8 valves the old one with 4, good deals out there on those, OK maybe I still have a thing for Twins) But I find the Griso a striking good looking machine, it does not look like nothing on the road today, I think that bike deserves its own classification. The Dealer network is growing around Atlanta, and I know Guzzis, my father owned many of them, I have ridden the new Breva and the new Norge. The Griso other than riding position cannot be to different.

FZ1 - Its a Yamaha, its a straight 4, its comfortable, (or is it ?? someone told me 6 footers are uncomfortable because of the Knee bend) ???. Its major service intervals are LONNNG. Its smooth, Its powerfull, you can do wheelies!!! I never done that in 10 years of riding swear....

I use my FJR on longer trips, two up trips and on the winter. This is a second bike to commute, to go to the North GA Mountains on the weekends. Maybe for a solo long weekend where 3 to 4 hours is all I will spend on the road. I can do that right now with the Ducati, but want something else.

Opnions???. Maybe there is another bike I am not considering. No BMW's please I have had 6 of them in the last 4 years, I am taking a Brand Break.

I have an FZ6, and love it. I took the FZ1 out on a ride day this spring, and loved it just a bit more than my 6. *L*. Effortless power compared to my bike, (of course). Just seemed to want to jump out of the gate compared to the 6 and to the FJR. I'm only 5'6" so I can't comment on the ergos, but I know a 6ftr who owns an '06 FZ1 and is very comfy on it.

Now I know someone who lives nearby who has ridden an FZ1 extensively. It was the bike he owned after a Kawi Ninja sportbike, and just before he moved to the FJR.

He had to sell the bike before he got arrested...*L*. Waaaaay too easy to wheelie and outrun the LEO's. He knew it was just a matter of time. He spent too much time with it hidden in his garage instead of riding it, so he traded it on an FJR.

If the Yamaha dealer is in town the FZ1

The triple would be real fun, its a great ride and different ........................but..............not having a dealer close by...................

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Yamaha dealer is in town the FZ1
The triple would be real fun, its a greta ride........................but..............not having a dealer close by...................

+1

"New bike bug"? Your Ducati is a new bike.

Nothing against the FZ-1 but, although the Guzzi has an interesting design, I think you have an itch that ...at least among the bikes on your list .... only the Speed Triple can scratch.

I used to have first Gen FZ1 and absolutely loved. ook it to a track day's. It is an amazing ride. Gen 2 is a bit more sportier, ok A LOT more sportier, but you should still be comfy on it. If I had a second bike in the budget I would snatch one in a heart beat.

Have not had the pleasure of a ride on one, but I know some people who have and they say it's a Monster. A good natured monster but a monster. They say it has more power than anyone would need and it handles quite well. If I ever have the chance, I'll ride one for sure.

I used to have first Gen FZ1 and absolutely loved. ook it to a track day's. It is an amazing ride. Gen 2 is a bit more sportier, ok A LOT more sportier, but you should still be comfy on it. If I had a second bike in the budget I would snatch one in a heart beat.
..and the GenII does not have the crazy throttle issue that was still there in '06.

I also have an fz6, which I love. I feel it really complents the fjr. I haven't ridden an fz1 and I also have the bug and have been looking. I love the flickability of the fz6, and I don't believe the fz1 is that flickable and the insurance is alot more on it. Another bike to think of is the suzuki new bandit. Another one to complicate things is the b king. A glut on the market and they are going thousands under msrp. Good luck on your search.

I also have an fz6, which I love. I feel it really complents the fjr. I haven't ridden an fz1 and I also have the bug and have been looking. I love the flickability of the fz6, and I don't believe the fz1 is that flickable and the insurance is alot more on it. Another bike to think of is the suzuki new bandit. Another one to complicate things is the b king. A glut on the market and they are going thousands under msrp. Good luck on your search.
I can't comment on the older models, but the '08 FZ1 I rode was entirely flickable...and the R6 was very hmmmm...not sure of one word to describe rolling on with it, but it certainly scared the beejezus outta me...*L*

The 2nd gen FZ1 is too much of a R1 for me. The ergo's are kind of aggressive, also the power band is a little more "peaky" than the Gen 1 FZ1. I had a hard time getting rid of my gen1 FZ1 (05)...i've had 2. I traded it in on my FJR. The FZ1 was my all time favorite bike. But I love the FJR it's gaining ground fast as my favorite.

If you want a neat "cheap" fun bike my wife has a Versys it's a great bike, I ride it whenever I get a chance.

Go for a GENI FZ1 with a jet kit, exhaust, and timing advancer. Mucho Funno, while still really comfortable. Cheap too. It's still kinda similar to an FJR though.

Another option is a Blackbird. Sick speed. Great handling, did I mention the speed! It will really be a different bike than the other 2 you have. It will not be near as comfortable as the FZ1 or FJR, but with a corbin seat and risers, you can still do 300-400 mile days. Or if your warchild, 1500 mile days, back to back to back to back.....

Although you specifically mentioned having an I-4 bug, you may want to consider the V-4 in the Honda Interceptor.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/s...odelId=VFR800A8

It is fast and very powerful. If you get the '07 model you can even get the option of the nifty red white and blue color scheme. The VFR800 is classified as a sport tourer but I think it is a bit more on the sport size than the FJR. I have seriously considered the purchase of one but found the knee bend to be too painful.

The CBR1000RR is an I-4 and is all business. Beutiful, fast but, again, way way too radical of a seating position for me.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/s...delId=CBR10RRL8

Speed Triple. The FZ1 is a great bike, but it's nowhere near as fun.
I'd look toward that myself.

Haven't ridden the Speed Triple, but own a Sprint Sport and have some time on a Tiger.

There's NOTHING (at least what I've ridden) that compares to the feel and the SOUND of that triple!

It's hard to describe but it's kinda half way between the tumpity thump of a twin and the purr of a 4.