G2 installation time

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTXEDFJR

Reaction score
I not good with things like this so I have to have a shop install the G2. So I don't get ripped off on labor how much time should a pro take that works with bikes all the time. For thos who had it installed by a shop, how much did you pay.

Steve

I not good with things like this so I have to have a shop install the G2. So I don't get ripped off on labor how much time should a pro take that works with bikes all the time. For thos who had it installed by a shop, how much did you pay.
Steve
I installed mine in 10 minutes... but I'm slow and I went to the bathroom in the middle... (#2) and I got a phone call... and I think I lost a screw that I had to search for for a few mintues... :dribble:

Seriously, 10 minutes unless your grip is welded in place. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur: 10 minutes or so. A shop will probably quote you a half hour, which around here equals about $40, so it's worth doing yourself. Oh, and adjust the free play out of your throttle cable while you're at it.

"You can do it....all night long!" oops wrong thread. I agree, even if it takes you a hour and a half, at least you can say you did it and you get to know your bike better. :clapping:

You may THINK you're not "good" at things...but you can't be that bad.

This is a definite do-it-yourselfer job. Just a couple of screws. The only

challenging part MAY be pulling the old tube out of the grip...but just squirt

compressed air in and it will slip off easily. If you are afraid you'll botch

the job...take as many digital pics of the process as you go to make you

feel comfortable.

unreal can't even get a time frame for the install. I thought you guy's know everthing :dribble: Ok for you guys that installed it your self how long did it take around, and please no smart a## remarks. If you can't help why even say anything.

Steve

Just like Duff said: watching tv, removed tube in one commercial break. Next day took the tube to work and on a 10 minute break, removed grip and installed on g2 tube. That evening, passing thru the garage, installed tube, in to dinner. Just recently, removes slack with adjustment at grip. Seriously, about 15 minutes (maybe) invested.

Took me about 30 minutes. However I had a little trouble with the throttle not returning. I have unwound the middle throttle spring one turn and made the mistake of trying to grease the throttle tube. The extra grease actually caused the throttle to stick so I had to take the throttle tube off and clean off all but a small amount of grease. If I had not added the grease is would have been about a 10-minute job. I don't have a compressor so I basically used muscle and screwdriver dipped in denatured ETOH to loosen and lubricate between the grip and bar enough to remove.

<SNIP> Ok for you guys that installed it your self how long did it take around, and please no smart a## remarks. If you can't help why even say anything.Steve
Um, I did... on both accounts, but really, like I said above, I was serious... when I wasn't being humorous. :huh:

Ok what did you Guys think of your G2 throttle , was it a big inprovement , over the abrupt std one , what else can be done, do ya really need a Power Comander

Ok what did you Guys think of your G2 throttle , was it a big inprovement , over the abrupt std one , what else can be done, do ya really need a Power Comander
The G-2 helped alot but did not completely cure it. Be sure to remove the excess free play in the cable. The tube corrects the eccentric pulleys effect on response. The power commander corrects the EPA mandated lean condition that also contributes to the problem. With both it is like night and day. Some people here use a mod to the ecu. Search for Barbarian Mod. It should allow you to correct the fuel ratio with out a power commander. I have never tried it so I really do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the PCIII when I installed the G2. The G2 was the cheapest, easiest and made the most difference.

Latest posts