g2 throttle problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to order up.

My preferred lube for assemblies like this is a mix of that Bel-Ray waterproof grease and Honda's moly-60 paste. Think that would work?

Appreciate any comments, and I know, I know...I should do a search first to find previous posts, just don't have the time (patience).
FYI, that's the kind of stuff that might get you dogpiled......or labeled a Search Welfare Recipient.

Other than cables, how is this part? I've heard from a direct source that teh tube is shorter than stock? Leaves some "soft" grip at teh outer edges?
The source was direct, but not 100% reliable.

Appreciate any comments, and I know, I know...I should do a search first to find previous posts, just don't have the time (patience).
Installed the G2 on my 07 AE today. (They make a longer one for the bikes with hot grips). Bloody marvellous. What a transformation - it's really really good. Buy it today.

Thanks Brit, I'm on it.

Were you able to remove the OE grips without damaging the heaters? My unreliable source was all ticked off that he had to buy new grips.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to order up.
My preferred lube for assemblies like this is a mix of that Bel-Ray waterproof grease and Honda's moly-60 paste. Think that would work?
Did the same application as mentioned, works fine. You can also put the moly-paste on by itself, lightly, with no issue. I used the Bel-Ray waterproof grease alone on the ramp/cam and cable ends and Bel-Ray motor oil in the cables. Put about 4000 mi. after this mod and no problems. I also smoothed the knurling somewhat on the tube so the grip would go on easier and it holds fine. I used the MadCo throttle lock along with this setup and had to open the ID somewhat with a flathead screw driver to fit over the slightly larger than stock G2 tube and reused the stock grips and reinstalled the Grip Puppies. This combo has worked really well. So far smooth as silk....PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brit, I'm on it.
Were you able to remove the OE grips without damaging the heaters? My unreliable source was all ticked off that he had to buy new grips.
I haven't tried removing stock heated grips, but I can tell you that an air nozzle hooked up to your air compressor works wonders for removing most grips. Even glued on ones. Stick the nozzle into the end between grip and bar, blast full pressure and the grip should just slide right off.

I'm putting on the G2 with heated grips on my 2007 FJR1300A next weekend.

DOES THE GRIP WARMER KIT FOR THE A AND AE HAVE IDENTICAL PARTS?

IS THE THROTTLE TUBE LONGER FOR HEATED GRIPS , REGARDLESS IF IT'S THE A OR AE?

SAM AT G2 SAYS HE HAS TWO DIFFERENT LENGTH G2 TUBES AND THAT THE LONGER TUBES ARE FOR HEATED GRIPS BUT DIDN'T KNOW IF THE LONG ONE GOES ON THE AE ONLY OR ON THE A ALSO.

Eworth

Thanks Brit, I'm on it.
I haven't tried removing stock heated grips, but I can tell you that an air nozzle hooked up to your air compressor works wonders for removing most grips. Even glued on ones. Stick the nozzle into the end between grip and bar, blast full pressure and the grip should just slide right off.

SAM AT G2 SAYS HE HAS TWO DIFFERENT LENGTH G2 TUBES AND THAT THE LONGER TUBES ARE FOR HEATED GRIPS BUT DIDN'T KNOW IF THE LONG ONE GOES ON THE AE ONLY OR ON THE A ALSO.

Eworth

Thanks Brit, I'm on it.
Here's the dealio - order the longer tube from G2 for the AE. It's 1/2" longer and is made only for the AE with hot grips.

I slid a kebab skewer between the grip and the OEM tube and it worked fine to loosen the grip. I also squirted a bit of WD40 onto the skewer thingy as I jammed it in. Take a careful note of how the cables to the heated grip align with the existing tube before you slide it off. If you don't when you stick it all back together, you will try to twist the throttle and run out of heater cable. This will make more sense once you're in there... I was apprehensive, but it was really a piece of cake. Definitely 100% worth doing. Dramatically better drivability.

Eworth

Thanks Brit, I'm on it.
Here's the dealio - order the longer tube from G2 for the AE. It's 1/2" longer and is made only for the AE with hot grips.

I slid a kebab skewer between the grip and the OEM tube and it worked fine to loosen the grip. I also squirted a bit of WD40 onto the skewer thingy as I jammed it in. Take a careful note of how the cables to the heated grip align with the existing tube before you slide it off. If you don't when you stick it all back together, you will try to twist the throttle and run out of heater cable. This will make more sense once you're in there... I was apprehensive, but it was really a piece of cake. Definitely 100% worth doing. Dramatically better drivability.

Just realized I messed-up in my reply. The "I haven't tried removing the stock heated grips..." was from "Harald" not me. Sorry stuck my response in the wrong place!

Eworth
I finally got around to putting on the Yamaha heated grips onto my 07A today. I had already purchased the G2 prior for the standard 07A.

If you haven't already purchased a G2, and plan on putting on the Yamaha heated grips, you will need to get the longer G2 throttle tube for a proper fit. The AE guys already know that they need the longer tube.

There is about a 1/2" difference as already mentioned in the stock throttle tube on the 07A and the one with the heated grips --- heated grip tube being longer. The Yamaha heated grip kit comes with a throttle tube in the right hand grip, but the profile appears to be the same as stock. The 1/2" increase is made up in the new throttle housing you will get with the grip kit. As also noted, look at the placement of the heated grip on the stock throttle tube and try to line it up the same on the G2 when you switch it.

I went ahead and switched the right hand throttle grip with the shorter G2 housing and will see how it works out. Right now it appears okay, noting the last little bit of grip is floating. I don't think this will be an issue, although I have a Throttlemeister so I will have to see if it continues to operate correctly as that end of the grip is the working end of the Throttlemeister.