G2 with PCIII?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo

Reaction score
I've not seen the answer to this posted yet. Lots of us have installed the G2 throttle tube and have not been completely satisfied. I also know that many have the PCIII installed now, especially with Lar's group buy (mine will be here in a few days). Have any of you installed the PCIII and then decided to remove the G2? How about those who installed the PCIII without a G2? Is the PCIII enough by itself? I'd sure love to get rid of my G2 and get that low end grunt back but without the toggle switch abruptness.

Excerpted from another post I wrote a while ago:

My take:

Surging: At a steady throttle, light engine load, the engine speed varies a small amount which feels like the throttle is being opened and closed a tiny amount even though it is being held steady.

Abrupt power delivery: When the throttle is closed the engine goes into a decel FI routine where fuel injection is basically turned off, then when power is asked for again there may be small hesitation without response as the throttle is rolled on, then suddenly you get all the throttle that you dialed up. Addressed by a PCIII.

Abrupt Throttle Response II: The Gen II throttle cam is eccentric (not round) causing the throttle to respond in greater proportion than what the operator intended. The steep ramp of the throttle cam is right around the 3k rpm range. A second issue are the gorilla springs on the throttle pulley making it very tiring to use and makes fine throttle control difficult. A G2 throttle tube & cam will neutralize the eccentric throttle cam. Some people acknowledge the risks and partially unwind the throttle springs to lighten up response.

I have both and am very pleased with the results. I will say the PC3 was the biggest single difference.

I'll answer my own question! I just installed my PCIII. At the same time I took off the G2 because I wanted to know what the PCIII on it's own would do. With the PCIII there is no need for the G2 in my opinion. The PCIII took care of all of the issues!!! Feels great! :yahoo: :yahoo: