Garage Door opener for 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calabash

Reaction score
I have a Sear garage door opener and I have been keeping it in the storage compartment on the bike. When I pull up to the garage I am then trying to dig down in the compartment for the opener with my gloves on and if there is anything else down in the compartment I am rummaging for awhile... :glare:

I looked at the door of the storage compartment on the bike and it was a little larger than the garage door opener so I cut off the metal hook that holds the opener to the shade in the car and ground it down till it was even the body of the opener. I got some stuff called "GOOP" and smeared it on back of the opener and pressed it on the inside of the door to make it easier to open the garage door.

Afterwards I thought it (garage door opener) might be too heavy and the little compartment door might not even open due to the weight of the opener but that is not a problem with the sears opener anyway, just be aware if you try it, if the opener is heavy it might be a problem.

Here is a pic with the opener attached, so far so good it seems to work well, just wanted to share the idea.

DCP_0017.jpg

Don't they make keyfob openers? Unfortunately I don't have that luxury so its either leave the door open or get off the bike to open it. I have found the glove box is convenient to throw a Mobil Speedpass into so I don't have to go digging for cash...Just pull up to the pump and the light comes on...

Don't they make keyfob openers? Unfortunately I don't have that luxury so its either leave the door open or get off the bike to open it. I have found the glove box is convenient to throw a Mobil Speedpass into so I don't have to go digging for cash...Just pull up to the pump and the light comes on...
Yeah, I have a keyfob opener. I'm currently looking at different solutions for a simple push-button that I can wire to the opener that would be weatherproof and allow me to mount my keyfob opener somewhere in the fairing, so all I have to do is push a thumb-button on the handlebar.

I bought the smallest opener from Home Depot and hacked a new remote switch into it.

Open it up and solder two wires to the pads for the original microswitch, then wire to a pushbutton mounted to the dash. Stash the guts wherever you can find the space. Much cheaper than $75.

Your idea of putting it on the glove box lid is genius (finally a real use for that thing). The only change I would make is to use velco to attach it. That makes it easy to remove when changing the battery in the remote, or replacing the remote if/when it fails.

A garage door opener is just one more thing I don't need to carry.

If wife knows when I'm due home, I just honk the horn, & door opens.

I removed my opener, soldered a jumper across the pushbutton contacts, eliminated the 9 volt battery, wired it to the 12 volt high beam power & located the circuit board inside the auxilary high beam housing ( My headlights are HID low beams only). Now my garage doors open when I flash the high beams. Prolonged use of the high beams don't seem to hurt the opener.

dobias :glare:

My GDO fits quite nicely in the zippered pocket on the right forearm of my riding jacket (Roadcrafter). Turn into drive, reach across with left hand and press button through the fabric.

Been workin' for almost a dozen years now. Doesn't care which bike I'm on.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with all the technical know-how and ingenuity I have been reading in this forum. I'm learning alot and enjoying it.

So I'll throw this out and see if anybody has an idea. I bought a house last year with an old Sears GDO. The previous owner lost the remote(s) and forgot the code for the keypad. I can't seem to recode the keypad so I think it is shot anyway. Short of replacing the old door opener, any ideas on how to get a remote working, so I can use one of the previous ingenious ideas for locating a remote on my bike or body? It sucks having to dismount and go around back to unlock the garage, walk through and open it manually from inside....

Thanks in advance.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with all the technical know-how and ingenuity I have been reading in this forum. I'm learning alot and enjoying it.
So I'll throw this out and see if anybody has an idea. I bought a house last year with an old Sears GDO. The previous owner lost the remote(s) and forgot the code for the keypad. I can't seem to recode the keypad so I think it is shot anyway. Short of replacing the old door opener, any ideas on how to get a remote working, so I can use one of the previous ingenious ideas for locating a remote on my bike or body? It sucks having to dismount and go around back to unlock the garage, walk through and open it manually from inside....

Thanks in advance.
If I were you, I'd start by looking up the owner's manual for your exact model on the web, to see exactly how to re-code, etc etc. You might be able to just buy a new remote and configure it to work with that opener--after all, I had a keyfob at my last house installed by ADT security, and they coded *that* to work with my garage door opener, so it has to be possible.

I'd also recommend posting this as a new topic, as you may get more lookers and more responses that way.

Thanks in advance.

If you have a hard wired button to open the garage from inside, you can buy an adapter that splices between the button and the opener. I have two very old openers from different makers, and was able to splice them both so that they operate off of one rolling code remote. I got mine at sears.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Now my garage doors open when I flash the high beams. Prolonged use of the high beams don't seem to hurt the opener.

Opener, no. But have you seen the string of open garage doors you leave behind at night!?!?!?! :lol:

Here's what I did... it's the round button just below the flashers.

bar_ends_close.jpg

I took apart a GDO and wired it to a waterproof switch mounted on the bike. GDO took a 12v battery, so I also removed the battery and I wired it into the bike. GDO is glued to the bottom of the pannel, near the fuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
slapnpop,

I'd have to ride close to the garage doors with my brights on & their GDO's would have to match the coded signal I have.... not at all likely.

You're thinking of the old fashioned GDO's like my previous house had. A thief went into everyone's garage one night using a sweep signal generator. He had dozens of Toros (& my leather jacket) when he was caught.

dobias :glare: