• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Garauld's reservoir-mounted radar detector bracket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcfjr

Reaction score
After years of using a RAM mount or just velcro to mount my V-1 radar detector, I decided I wanted a more secure mounting setup. Skyway sells a reservoir-mounted radar detector bracket, and you see a lot of them at FJR rallys. Over the years, I've gotten a lot of stuff from Skyway, all delivered with no problems. But the drama over the fuel cells has made me reluctant to continue doing business with him.

I was chatting with forum member Garauld, and asked him if he'd consider producing a radar detector bracket. He agreed, and the design he came up with is typical Garauld - well designed, well engineered, well built, and beautifully finished.

The bracket is rectangular, sized to fit all radar detectors, and made of aluminum. The sides are slightly thicker for added strength, and channels on the left and right sides securely hold a velcro cinch strap. Four counter-sunk mounting holes allow placement on either the brake or clutch reservoir. The mounting holes are offset front-to-back - rotating the bracket 180 degrees moves it about 1/2" forward or backward on the reservoir. Once mounted, the bracket sits square to the long-axis of the bike.

The bracket is powder-coated in black for durability, and it looks great on the bike. The velcro cinch strap holds the unit in place securely; self-adhesive velcro squares mount on the top of the bracket and the bottom of the radar detector for added security. Removing the radar detector is quick and easy.

Garauld supplies all the extras you need:

• the bracket
  • longer stainless-steel, hex-head screws to replace your current reservoir cover screws
  • a rubber pad to fit between the top of the reservoir cover and the bracket
  • a matched set of adhesive-back hook and loop velcro
  • a velcro cinch strap
Mounting the bracket takes a couple of minutes:
  • Remove the current reservoir cover screws, making sure the cover stays in place.
  • Place the rubber pad on top of the reservoir cover.
  • Place the bracket on the reservoir cover, and use the supplied screws to secure it in place. (Remember you can rotate the bracket 180 degrees to move it slightly forward or back.)
  • Place the self-adhesive velcro squares on the top of the bracket and the bottom of the radar detector. (This is an optional step, but it really helps secure the radar detector to the bracket.) I prefer to use hooks on the bracket and loops on the radar detector.
  • Run the velcro cinch strap through the strap cutouts
I've been using Garauld's bracket for a few weeks now, and it is looks and works great. My radar detector mounts securely, but can be removed quickly at lunch stops.
Garauld's price for his radar detector mount, including all the extras listed above and shipping within the U.S., is $50. Contact Garauld directly if you're interested. (I'm a happy owner, and offered to post this info, but otherwise have no connection to this product.)

Here's some pictures of the unit on my '05. Click on the photos for a larger view.

The velcro seen here on the top of my radar detector is left over from a previous mounting setup, and isn't needed with Garauld's bracket.

Edited on 9/29 to fix some typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 On Garauld's work. I have the his light brackets, rack and backrest, all high quality stuff. I don't know how he does it for the reasonable prices but I like it! Not only is his work good he's a very generous guy.

Like I said +1.

Hi - FYI - the bracket is aluminum and the screws will be SST flat allen heads. I could move the holes over if requested at n/c.

I'm sorry, I take offense that riders will mount a radar detector in the obvious attempt that they can speed without law enforcement consequences. :blink:

That's just wrong. :rolleyes:

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3859677866_5b5b6aa9a8.jpg

I'm sorry, I take offense that riders will mount a radar detector in the obvious attempt that they can speed without law enforcement consequences. :blink:
I only run one because I like to know when I'm under electronic government surveillance.

Brian, would this be a good platform to mount a SPOT transmitter on?

I only run one because I like to know when I'm under electronic government surveillance.

I'll hijack a moment and say I don't see why not. The only issue I could imagine is the velcro strap interfering with buttons; but unlikely. I will say the RAM mount works well for the SPOT if you decide to run it on the bike. Just imho.

EDIT. What might be interesting is to hook-n-loop the SPOT to the top of the detector. I don't think the electronics would interfere with each other, but others are more expert in that.

Toe:

Yes, I've tried it, and this is a great way to mount the current version of the SPOT.

What might be interesting is to hook-n-loop the SPOT to the top of the detector. I don't think the electronics would interfere with each other, but others are more expert in that.
SPU: I just made a run from SoCal up to Yosemite and back with my SPOT temporarily mounted on top of my V-1, and everything worked great. The SPOT tracks came in on schedule, the cinch strap doesn't interfere with the SPOT's buttons, and the V-1 worked as expected. (Anyone who's ever made a motivated run down CA-99 through California's central valley will attest to the benefits of a good radar detector.)

Toe:

Yes, I've tried it, and this is a great way to mount the current version of the SPOT.

What might be interesting is to hook-n-loop the SPOT to the top of the detector. I don't think the electronics would interfere with each other, but others are more expert in that.
SPU: I just made a run from SoCal up to Yosemite and back with my SPOT temporarily mounted on top of my V-1, and everything worked great. The SPOT tracks came in on schedule, the cinch strap doesn't interfere with the SPOT's buttons, and the V-1 worked as expected. (Anyone who's ever made a motivated run down CA-99 through California's central valley will attest to the benefits of a good radar detector.)

Thanks TC, that was what I had in mind. Were you able to see the LED's flash from the FJR pilot seat while underway? If so, it would be nice to have the mount serve double duty with no loss of function! If not I bet it would be easy to jury rig a small rubber wedge under the top of the SPOT to angle it up just a bit for easier viewing.

P.S. I did a similar run from San Diego up to Yosemite and on to Oregon in April. I envy you.

Thanks TC, that was what I had in mind. Were you able to see the LED's flash from the FJR pilot seat while underway? If so, it would be nice to have the mount serve double duty with no loss of function! If not I bet it would be easy to jury rig a small rubber wedge under the top of the SPOT to angle it up just a bit for easier viewing.
P.S. I did a similar run from San Diego up to Yosemite and on to Oregon in April. I envy you.
I was able to see the LEDs on the V-1 with no problems - even the band lights.

I had gotten 19 of the 20 Dam Tour dams during my rides to and from CFR and WFO this year. Some minor knee surgery kept me off the bike until last weekend, when I rode up to visit O’Shaughnessy Dam in northern Yosemite NP. The 99 isn't much fun, but I had a blast once I got into the mountains.

I stopped for this pic of El Capitan on my way through the Valley.

And the obligatory dam pic:

I was able to see the LEDs on the V-1 with no problems - even the band lights.

I had gotten 19 of the 20 Dam Tour dams during my rides to and from CFR and WFO this year. Some minor knee surgery kept me off the bike until last weekend, when I rode up to visit O’Shaughnessy Dam in northern Yosemite NP. The 99 isn't much fun, but I had a blast once I got into the mountains.

I stopped for this pic of El Capitan on my way through the Valley.

And the obligatory dam pic:

I did exactly the same run to pick up O'Shaughnesy last April (prior to my dump and DNF on the dam tour). Congratulations! And good to hear the SPOT version 1 works well on top of the detector...

OK, here's a kit that you can buy for mounting your gizmo on the top of either reservoir - $50 delivered stateside. You get a machined plate powdercoated either satin black (shown) or Raven black, a rubber pad the protects your reservoir cover, a set of Velcro adhesive-backed hook and loop strips to retain your unit, a pair of longer SST M4 mounting screws, and a Velcro safety retainer strap that wraps over the top of your unit. The plate has two sets of offset holes for optimizing the front-back placement. I can also adjust the size to suit your special needs at n/c.

PM me if you want one... :thumbsup:

RadarDetectorKit.jpg

OK, here's a kit that you can buy for mounting your gizmo on the top of either reservoir - $50 delivered stateside. You get a machined plate powdercoated either satin black (shown) or Raven black, a rubber pad the protects your reservoir cover, a set of Velcro adhesive-backed hook and loop strips to retain your unit, a pair of longer SST M4 mounting screws, and a Velcro safety retainer strap that wraps over the top of your unit. The plate has two sets of offset holes for optimizing the front-back placement. I can also adjust the size to suit your special needs at n/c.
PM me if you want one... :thumbsup:

RadarDetectorKit.jpg
Big props to Garauld!!! :yahoo: I received my farkle reservoir mount. Nice machine job, powder coated, all the goodies to go mount and anchor your electronic farkle. Works for either side too. How does it know? :p

Thank you!!! :yahoo:

I emailed Gary for a mount on the 12th and it was in my hands across the country in 5 days to nowhere Oregon. As usual, the machining, powdercoating and service are first-rate! Thanks Garauld....