Garmin 2008 update DVD in hand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayban

Grouchy old fat guy
Reaction score
I have the Garmin Map Update 2008 - City Navigator North America NT DVDI could be persuaded to let you "hold" my copy for a few days for safe keeping while I fumigate my apartment :rolleyes: It is "universal" and includes both Mac and NT/Vista upload software (the new "Universal" standard thing is kinda cool).

Took me about 45 minutes to update my 2820 over a standard USB connection.

To be 100% clear, this is not the software you can download from the Garmin website to update the "operating software" on your GPS. This is the DATA for your GPS, all the maps/cities/POI's etc.

Send me a PM.

*Update: models supported StreetPilot i5, c330, c340, c530, c550, c580, 7200, 7500, 2720, 2730, 2820, nuvi 200, 250, 350, 360, 370, 650, 660, 670, 680, zumo 450 and 550

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one too, but if I'm not mistaken, you have to unlock it to use it... and everyone's existing copy is keyed... so using yours won't help anyone else... unless they want to pony up the $75...

I had reloaded my PC and, like and idiot, never kept the gold "unlock" code, so I've never unlocked, just used the unit straight out of the box with no problems. When I updated the maps, all I had to do was enter the product key and both my PC and my GPS maps were updated. I never use the PC part anyway, I just wanted the maps updated on my GPS. So, my PC remains "locked maps" (but I can still get past trips etc off of the GPS with it and major roads still show fine).

You may be right, your mileage may vary.

Besides, who says anything about copying? I'm just asking them to keep my software in a safe location for a few days to prevent damage! :p

I had reloaded my PC and, like and idiot, never kept the gold "unlock" code, so I've never unlocked, just used the unit straight out of the box with no problems. When I updated the maps, all I had to do was enter the product key and both my PC and my GPS maps were updated. I never use the PC part anyway, I just wanted the maps updated on my GPS. So, my PC remains "locked maps" (but I can still get past trips etc off of the GPS with it and major roads still show fine).
You may be right, your mileage may vary.

Besides, who says anything about copying? I'm just asking them to keep my software in a safe location for a few days to prevent damage! :p
So, you're saying that one does not need an unlock code to update the maps that are stored on the GPS? I'm quite confused.

I do not have my unlock code anymore. I tossed the box in one of my moves and forgot to take it out.

All I did today was take the DVD out of the package, install it, connect my GPS, enter my product code from the back of the DVD case and came back in 45 minutes to watch it finish.

End result: my GPS is updated, my PC says it's updated, but my PC is still locked because I don't have an unlock code for it.

That's all I know.

There are 2 kinds of software. The "update" that you get online only updates the "operating software" of the GPS.

That update can be gotten free anytime here...

https://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

The last OS update for the 2820 was July 11 this year. The last update for the zumos was April 16 this year. In both cases, the free downloads online, registered or not, do NOT update any map data, guys, read the fine print. Garmin makes its "lifecycle revenue" money off the map data updates every year on all its products (same thing holds true in the aviation products they put out, they publish, and charge for, updates even more often for obvious reasons). I called 2 local "Garmin dealers" listed on their website and they both confirmed that data updates cost, period.

The map data update is obtained via the 2008 upgrade, which must be ORDERED, such as through their online store here...

https://www8.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

Just nevermind. The two folks who have PM'ed me, I need your addresses. Past that, the offer is retracted due to the amount of debate and confusion it seems to be generating. Another bad idea on my part, no good deed goes unpunished...

The map data update is obtained via the 2008 upgrade, which must be ORDERED, such as through their online store here...
Indeed - but it is free of charge.

Now, I have had version 8 on mapping my 276c since last September . . . was the NT version that far behind? I'm waiting for V9 to be released. Maps have to be unlocked for both the PC and for transfer into a navigator - hence the real confusion.

Indeed - but it is free of charge.

Now, I have had version 8 on mapping my 276c since last September . . . was the NT version that far behind? I'm waiting for V9 to be released. Maps have to be unlocked for both the PC and for transfer into a navigator - hence the real confusion.
No, map data is $75 plus shipping. Considering that the data file being sold wasn't even published until 6/11/2007, your belief that you currently possess that data on your unit since last September is, well, incredible at best. The "version 8" you mention is the OPERATING SYSTEM on the unit. You're missing the concept that there are 2 different code entities on your GPS. There is the OS, which controls how your system operates, connects, acts, then there is the data file that contains the actual NavTeq map data, hotels/gas station info, etc. The OS is free, always has been, and the lastest updates are easy to get online. The map data is not, never has been, and likely never will be as that is their bread and butter (and the very reason that your GPS tells you when you have old data and encourages you to go online and buy the newer version).

Here's what will happen... After your unit realizes that your data is at least a year old, the next time you power up, you'll get a different kind of boot-up screen that will advise you of your older map data and advise you to connect to the Garmin website to purchase an upgrade. If I'd been thinking, I would have taken a picture of mine with the iPhone to post. It even says on that splash screen that there is a charge for that data.

The only "unlocking" required is typing in the code on the sticker on the back of the DVD case and the serial number of the unit it is being applied into. This was done on a machine with no internet connection, so nothing was checked over the net.

Your experience is different from mine and from what is spelled out on the Garmin website. I respect your opinion, but you'll forgive me if I don't accept it.

I have... sitting in front of me.. the City Navigator North America 2008 DVD update. This is the latest available update of the mapping data. I paid diddly squat to have it sent to me... just made the request on the Garmin website.

That's what Bramfrank is talking about when he says it's free of charge. They send it to you for free... no shipping costs involved. But to use it, you have to pay $75 to unlock it.

The only "unlocking" required is typing in the code on the sticker on the back of the DVD case and the serial number of the unit it is being applied into. This was done on a machine with no internet connection, so nothing was checked over the net.
I'll have to give that a try when I get my laptop back next week.

I, too, have a 2008 update DVD sitting on my desk, waiting for the $75.00 to unlock it. But it sounds like there may be some kind of anomaly at play here, at least for Rayban's setup. Mine's not the NT version though, so it probably doesn't have the "bonus feature".

Lol, okay, so in the end, you didn't get the map update for free....lmfao. I have the same version, I just paid the $75 up front so the code CAME with the DVD (the big green sticker on the back of the DVD case with the 8 digit code). So...yeah, in the end, I was right, but I understand now why the confusion. Getting the DVD doesn't do much for ya, even though "it was free"... Thanks for clearing that up, toe and Groo.

No, map data is $75 plus shipping. Considering that the data file being sold wasn't even published until 6/11/2007, your belief that you currently possess that data on your unit since last September is, well, incredible at best. The "version 8" you mention is the OPERATING SYSTEM on the unit. You're missing the concept that there are 2 different code entities on your GPS. There is the OS, which controls how your system operates, connects, acts, then there is the data file that contains the actual NavTeq map data, hotels/gas station info, etc. The OS is free, always has been, and the lastest updates are easy to get online. The map data is not, never has been, and likely never will be as that is their bread and butter (and the very reason that your GPS tells you when you have old data and encourages you to go online and buy the newer version).
Here's what will happen... After your unit realizes that your data is at least a year old, the next time you power up, you'll get a different kind of boot-up screen that will advise you of your older map data and advise you to connect to the Garmin website to purchase an upgrade. If I'd been thinking, I would have taken a picture of mine with the iPhone to post. It even says on that splash screen that there is a charge for that data.

Your experience is different from mine and from what is spelled out on the Garmin website. I respect your opinion, but you'll forgive me if I don't accept it.
Uh, no.

I have V8 mapping on my 276c - the firmware in the unit is presently the latest, version 5.00. No offense intended, and you don't know me from Adam, but I suspect that my experience with this technology exceeds yours.

According to Garmin's web site, there are no mapping updates for my units, even though 'version 2008' is released and Mapsource keeps telling me to update my maps, though my SP3 and 2 276cs all are perfectly happy, thank you very much. No nag screens at all.

The 276c does not use the NT (which is a compressed image version of the maps), but rather the 'regular' non-NT variant.

I assume that they managed to screw something up in their distribution of the NT variants - apparently allowing the user to update the internal map and unlock it while leaving the on-PC version locked. This won't work with the 'non-NT' variant, because it is downloaded to the navigator from Mapsource and the maps in question have to be unlocked before they can be downloaded.

Then again, you didn't get the mapping free. You paid for it. So your on-PC maps SHOULD be unlocked, yet you claim they are not. I suspect that you need to go online for that AND if one of your two 'sub-users' does it first, you will lose Mapsource access to your own copy of the maps.

One thing that Garmin changed this year is that they now only allow one unlock per code - in previous years it was two, though if someone wants to check this out after unlocking THEIR unit I would be pleased to provide a unit id for testing. If you have thwe 2008 release and a 'non-NT version PM me. Can't hurt, and will verify (or refute) the claims.

I have three navigators and will not pay them $75 each to update.

You use a different, older-generation model. Perhaps that is your saving grace, but with both the aviation and now this consumer product, Garmin charges for all map upgrades. I now have other users confirming that (points above) and, frankly, don't care any more, dude. You think you have data on your unit that wasn't even released when you claim you got it, great, good for you, congratulations. You had to unlock your unit again, hey, sorry to hear. My process was simple.

1. Run software from the DVD.

2. When asked, connect GPS

3. Enter serial # and 8-digit "product key" code from the big green sticker on the back of the DVD case.

4. Come back after an extensive update period (45 min+).

5. Place GPS unit on motorcycle, ride and enjoy.

6. PC MapSource map data is still listed as "locked" when run (kinda shoots that whole theory, huh?). Attempts to unlock PC software require registering online, which requires the gold slip of paper that was in the box I tossed when I moved here last November. Hence, the reason for not doing so. I could probably get one by calling customer service and re-sending my receipt etc. like they made me to do replace my GXM30 antenna under warranty, but I haven't.

And, with that, we'll agree to disagree, dude. I don't care anymore. Be well. I'm out.