Garmin 2610 vs. 2720 (and 2730)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the Garmin 7200 seems like the ideal unit, although a bit big. It has a slot of an SD card so you can have an unlimited selection of MP3s played through the GPS. Only problem seems to be that it's not in a water resistant enclosure like the 2700 series.
Any suggestions on how to enclose a 7200 to make it water resistant?
Does the 7200 use a memory card or a hard drive? Just curious. PM. <>< :)

According to this site, it has both...

Pre-programmed solid- state built-in memory has 750 MB available for other optional MapSource products, MP3 and Audio Book files. In Addition, an 0pen SD Memory card slot allows other MapSource products, MP3 and Audio Book files to be loaded to an optional SD Memory card - available to 2,000 MB+

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a GPS, and wondered if there are any opinions on the relative benefits of the 2 Garmin systems (2610 vs. 2720). I've see that the 2720 has a slightly larger better quality display screen, has 2000 waypoints vs. 500 for the 2610, and does the Traffic avoidance route-around if you pay extra for a receiver and live where the data is transmitted (don't think I'd need this, but wouldn't count that as a negative). The 2720 is apparently also WAAS enabled, while I don't believe the 2610 is.
Anyone know if the compute and recalculate speeds are roughly equivalent, or is the 2610 noticeably slower? Any other reasons to favor one over the other? Is the difference in price significant enough to choose one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any replies...
I got the 2720 and really like it. Incredibly intuitive to set up, I have mine on a RAM mount on the left, easy to see in sunlight, 3D view is easy to see your next turn, easy to create routes, recalculates routes very fast, all roads, streets, etc already in the database, screens relatively easy to configure. You won't regret it.

I have the 276c and I more than highly recommend it. If you MUST have full continental coverage, the 476 & 478 have been released. But I personally find that 512 megs (or about 1/3 of the continent) is more than I need.

I LOVE the fact that it has a HUGE tracklog.

If you must have XM radio and such, there's the 376.

Anyone know if you need a special cable or anything in order to be able to properly amplify the voice commands coming out of a Garmin Streetpilot? I've got mine installed and wired up to my Mixit2, and I can hear the Valentine and XM radio clear as a bell... but the 2610 even cranked up to the max is barely a whisper.... very puzzling. The audio works as expected when using the cigarette adapter cable with built in microphone in my car....
Oh, and I'll post some photos of the setup tomorrow... gonna go for a morning ride!
if you are using the split connecter plug for hard wiring to bike power. seperate power to gps and audio plug to mix- it. sometimes the audio plug dosen't make a good connection, if you unplug slightly it will increase the volume as it should be. i just had the same problem. garmin exchanged it. no more problem

Pictures for those who are interested...
FrontDash1.jpg

Stemstand1.jpg

Stemstand2.jpg

Groo, What is the link to buy the stemstand for your garmin?

Thanks

Is it https://www.techmounts.com/ ?

Actually the Garmin 7200 seems like the ideal unit, although a bit big. It has a slot of an SD card so you can have an unlimited selection of MP3s played through the GPS. Only problem seems to be that it's not in a water resistant enclosure like the 2700 series.

Any suggestions on how to enclose a 7200 to make it water resistant?
First and foremost is that the 7200 isn't waterproof. It can't be made waterproof unless you put it inside a tupperware, a plastic bag or something similar . . .
Second: The display is the same, somewhat limited resolution as the 26xx/27xx series - the pixels are just larger.

Third: No hard drive installed. The site Groo pointed at doesn't say that it has a hard drive (solid state internal memory is NOT a hard drive) and there isn't one.

Unless price is the prime driver (in which case the 2610 is an excellent deal, can be kept current as can all of the loadable navigators from Garmin and can be interfaced to an on board audio system) the marine chartplotters in the 276/376/378/478 series are the cat's meow. Navigators tend to make 'so-so' MP3 players anyway.

Garmin does have a list online of current units they recommend for motorcycle applications:

https://www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html#motorcycles

Navigators tend to make 'so-so' MP3 players anyway.
Not sure what you are getting at there. I have been extremely happy with my 2730's mp3 perforance. Sounds great to these ears. In fact, sound quality is better with my downloaded mp3 files than with the Xm radio IMHO.

I find it extremely useful to have the controls for all three (mp3, Xm, and NAV) operated through one interface.

Another alternative is:

Garmin Quest 2 (not the quest 1). I've had one for a while, works great, all maps loaded.

I also have a 276C also works great, but am currently looking at the 2830.

Groo, What is the link to buy the stemstand for your garmin?
It is a Techmount, but I got it through Techbiker... very helpful, and good price. :thumbsup: Let them know if you want the short, medium, or long length stem (mine is the short one...).

Navigators tend to make 'so-so' MP3 players anyway.
Not sure what you are getting at there. I have been extremely happy with my 2730's mp3 perforance. Sounds great to these ears. In fact, sound quality is better with my downloaded mp3 files than with the Xm radio IMHO.

I find it extremely useful to have the controls for all three (mp3, Xm, and NAV) operated through one interface.
Consider that if you really wanted to use your 2830 as a generic MP3 player you'll need a very large pocket and an external battery.
So it's not a question of sound quality, but rather the need to take a unit that doesn't have batteries and bring it to a computer to load it full of songs that are already on my Ipod. More pieces of equipment to learn which do the same thing, but differently.

I use MP3s in more places than just my dash, so I for one don't like to be forced to maintain multiple copies of the same music, that has to be accessed using differing interfaces . . . K.I.S.S.

You can be great at one thing, but usually only 'so so' at a large number of them. The concept reminds me of the 'racing dump truck'

but rather the need to take a unit that doesn't have batteries and bring it to a computer to load it full of songs that are already on my Ipod. More pieces of equipment to learn which do the same thing, but differently.

Point taken, however that is not a big deal to me. I only listen to Mp3s on the bike, and the GPS gets hooked up to the computer on a somewhat regular basis anyways for NAV reasons.

What I absolutely love about this set-up compared to my old Mp3 player (not IPOD), is I have the controls right in front of me. My old Mp3 player was stuffed in the tankbag or jacket pocket, so getting to it and operating it on the fly was difficult and dangerouse. Rarely did so. Now, no problemo.

What I absolutely love about this set-up compared to my old Mp3 player (not IPOD), is I have the controls right in front of me. My old Mp3 player was stuffed in the tankbag or jacket pocket, so getting to it and operating it on the fly was difficult and dangerouse. Rarely did so. Now, no problemo.
That's why MY Ipod is stuffed under the seat, next to the Autocom. I have a remote control - the Airclick from Griffin - velcroed to the plate where the heated grip control would go if I had them installed. It allows me to control my Ipod using radio signals - so when it's docked at home I can control the music from the next room too - and it's also plugged into the cage and can be controlled without reaching across to the unit. Cost a whole $28.
Love my 276c.