Garmin 2720

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 2720 mounted on my bike. Occasionally, the inside of the screen gets fogged w/ condensation. Most times, it happens on cool/cold mornings. However, yesterday, on a morning ride, it fogged again and it was warm out. The most recent occurance was a patch abt 1/4"x3/4". The condensation disappears after a while, quicker if the bike is parked after a ride.

I read on www.gpspassion.com that this is becoming a more common occurance and that Garmin has recieved several units for repair but returns them saying "Unit is operating w/in normal specifications."

Anyone here having the same experience? Any suggestions? I'm getting nervous abt condensation in the internal electronics of the 2720.

I have a Garmin 2720 mounted on my bike. Occasionally, the inside of the screen gets fogged w/ condensation. Most times, it happens on cool/cold mornings. However, yesterday, on a morning ride, it fogged again and it was warm out. The most recent occurance was a patch abt 1/4"x3/4". The condensation disappears after a while, quicker if the bike is parked after a ride.
I read on www.gpspassion.com that this is becoming a more common occurance and that Garmin has recieved several units for repair but returns them saying "Unit is operating w/in normal specifications."

Anyone here having the same experience? Any suggestions? I'm getting nervous abt condensation in the internal electronics of the 2720.
My 2720 has done that once or twice (and my SPIII did too). Seems to not be a real issue as it clears up on it's own.

This is caused by the unit being sealed waterproof. If the unit is assembled during humid conditions, it can happen that in certain circumstances the screen fogs up a bit. It may take a while for it to 'gas out' all the humidity, but then it typically doesn't happen again.

My 2720 does it when the sun shines on the screen. Putting a shade on the unit helped a lot. I know others with 2700 series have the same problem

This is caused by the unit being sealed waterproof. If the unit is assembled during humid conditions, it can happen that in certain circumstances the screen fogs up a bit. It may take a while for it to 'gas out' all the humidity, but then it typically doesn't happen again.
Not that I'd recommend doing this without thinking long and hard about it (and probably calling Garmin a few times), maybe you could help it offgas by baking it at elevated temperature...? Don't know what temp, or how long, or if it would even work... but might be something to look into if your GPS is doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has done it a few times and when I checked with garmin I was told it is condensation and to cure it you place the unit in a sunlit window with the slider on the back pulled right down .

If you do this you will find 3 tiny little holes in the back of the unit under that slider. I had to put my reading glasses on to find them they are so small

But it did seem to cure it for a while

Hope this helps :yahoo:

I have seen this several times on my 2730. I feel that this is a defect (should have been sealed in a dry enviornment) but have not done anything about it.

Mini highjack: Has anyone had their 2730 spontaneously reboot?

I purchased a re-fabbed 2720 from Garmin and also had it fog-up. I sent it back, with pics of the fogging, and they sent me a replacement. That one fogged twice then quit.....don't know if that helps, but that what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine fogged before also. Talked to Garmin and they say that if it less than 1 hour then all is normal. Nothing that can be done about moisture trapped inside a water resistant housing.