Garmin 2720

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
Got my Garmin 2720 last week from AutoNav (thanx, James) and put it on the bike sitting atop a Techmount stem stand and Touratech locking mount. Sunday, I spent some time w/ Mapsource, mapping some routes to upload to the 2720. Today, I went for a test ride and let the GPS navigate the route.

I've never owned or used a GPS before and this was one cool experience. However, I had to constantly resist the urge to watch the unit navigate and keep my eyes on the road...something I'll have to get used to.

This is a great device, easy to use and one of the better additions I've made to the bike.

I'm sure there are other great GPS units and some more customizable but, for me, this one is all I need.

Ok...now, let's see, how do I go to Alaska...

I use a Techmount short stem stand to mount my Garmin 2610 too. As far as I'm concern, that's the perfect location for it. If I ever tip it over, the unit will be protected by the handlebars.

This is a picture of the stem mount with the regular length stem.

dscf2635.jpg

However, I am using Garmin motorcycle bracket to attach it to the Techmount. The audio output is routed to my Autocom. I would never look down at it unless I'm standing still or on the highway (and I always try to avoid highways).

Do you have the audio routed inside your helmet?

The change of eye focus and the need to look as far down as far as the stem nut simply takes too much time off the road when I'm scraping the pegs. Remember, the bike will go wherever you look.

Btw, the Garmin 2720 has probably the best screen out there right now! The only reason I bought the Garmin 2610 instead is the ability to remove my CF card and swap it out when I travel in other countries and it has better menus for customization.

People often ask, "Why do you need a GPS on a bike anyway? Don't you know how to read a map or navigate by road signs?"

Well, looking down to read tiny prints on a paper map in the twisties is a death sentence. In unknown areas, you would have to pause at many turns. In addition, I like to ride the kind of roads where you can get lost (I avoid superslabs like the plaque - BORING). This way, I can just ride, enjoy the experience, and never have to worry about how to get home. Finally, it's just a cool farkle! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
brazos parker

I've never owned or used a GPS before and this was one cool experience. However, I had to constantly resist the urge to watch the unit navigate and keep my eyes on the road...something I'll have to get used to.
You should have had your GPS audio out connected and you should only glance at the GPS when you need to. Don't get in trouble by looking at it to much or we are going to have to ask for it back! :D

It's funny, we sold lots of GPS systems, and everyone we sold to ALWAYS wonder why they waited so long to buy one of these GREAT TOOLS!

They think is a toy before they buy it, but once they have it, they can't do without it. Kind of like a cell phone I guess.

Did you get the Garmin audio out kit?

Enjoy the GPS, I am very happy you are happy with it.

James, I waited to get the 2720 based on your advice a long time ago...that Garmin was coming out w/ a new generation device. With my brief experience to date, I love the 2720.

And, I did get the Garmin motorcycle audio out kit but have not gotten a plug for it yet. I plan to do so soon. But, first, I need to get some "edumacation" on Autocom vs Starcom vs Chatterbox vs MixIt2...as I know very little abt these things and want to get one that will accept the 2720 and an MP3 player...as I suspect they all will do that. So, if anyone can point me to a primer on these devices, I would appreciate it.

Thanx again, James, and pass along my thanx to Mr. Rick for answering some of my DA questions.