Garmin 2730 cutting out when I hit bumps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't good. :( Jeff is currently broke down in Port Huron, had to push the bike into customs.
He thinks it may be a Ground Spider issue...

:jester:

Bike is in the dealership near Detroit, I'm in the motel next door. Will know the status of the bike in the morning. Thanks for the call while I was on the bridge, Bust, much appreciated. This group rocks :)

Now... a shower to cool down, and some cold beer to calm my nerves.

Griff

Ya know, a ground spider issue just might make the GPS flash on and off. . . .

A little late to the party? Ah, well.

Best of luck with the bike, and real sorry that it's a bike problem now and not just a GPS problem. :glare:

If it's contacts that need cleaning, Caig DeoxIT is THE SHIT!!! It's what serious audophiles and musicians use (source of recommendation some years back), so it's good enough for my favorite motorcycle and its farkles.

CAIG Laboratories*

* [SIZE=8pt]Notice the endorsers at the bottom of the page.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Best of luck with the bike, and real sorry that it's a bike problem now and not just a GPS problem. :glare:
Earlier in the Spring I had this issue and posted up a thread in that regard. It pointed to a Spider issue. I had the exact GPS flash off and on thing. Dealer had the bike for 2.5 weeks and came up NADA even as I pointed out the potential problem. I also had an issue with flasher switch, which would stall the bike. The dealer took it apart, found nothing visible, put it back together. The bike has been fine since. I know the Spider connection under the tank is fine. I still suspect there might be an issue with the left side Spider.

Willie

Earlier in the Spring I had this issue and posted up a thread in that regard. It pointed to a Spider issue. I had the exact GPS flash off and on thing. Dealer had the bike for 2.5 weeks and came up NADA even as I pointed out the potential problem. I also had an issue with flasher switch, which would stall the bike. The dealer took it apart, found nothing visible, put it back together. The bike has been fine since. I know the Spider connection under the tank is fine. I still suspect there might be an issue with the left side Spider.

Willie
Not sure exactly why mine was cutting out, and in good troubleshooting fashion I fixed several potential issues at the same time: cleaned contacts on the unit and the shoe, re-checked all the connections and did the spider (spliced S4 together, Brodie's harness for the rest). Works fine now... but I don't know which of the things I did was the actual fix.

Griff

Willie
Not sure exactly why mine was cutting out, and in good troubleshooting fashion I fixed several potential issues at the same time: cleaned contacts on the unit and the shoe, re-checked all the connections and did the spider (spliced S4 together, Brodie's harness for the rest). Works fine now... but I don't know which of the things I did was the actual fix.

Griff